xisto Community
cursosdeinglesml

New Graphics Solution For Laptops

There are a few new technologies to try to solve the problem of heavy graphics use in laptops, like gaming. 2 of them (Asus and ATI) try to put the graphics card outside the laptop. But, it is probably going to be a little expensive...You think it is worth it? I mean, what do you think about finally letting go of your desktop PC and have a fully functional laptop?

I think just shoving a discrete graphics unit in laptops work fine just as they do now. The external units aren't really required unless you don't want to build a desktop too, but gaming is still mainly on desktop.Laptops will never fully replace desktops because desktops are a lot friendlier for gaming than laptops due to the ease of upgrading them.xboxrulz

Laptops will never fully replace desktops because desktops are a lot friendlier for gaming than laptops due to the ease of upgrading them.

Definitely I myself am more then capable of upgrading my own pc and I'm not even the smartest guy with computers. But my brother has a laptop and fins it hard to do anything about it but to give it to a professional to fix it. Desktops are definitely more people friendly.

Haven't found anything yet that will not run well on a Mac Book Pro. So no worries there. There is really no need for an external what ever to increase the graphics performance on a laptop computer. When doing something intense enough that it requires more than the laptop use a desktop. Overall laptop users are not fretting about high end gaming. If they do then there laptop models designed to be desktop replacements.

Well, I'm trying to move from my desktop computer to laptop, even though I have several problems I still use a laptop.. I bought a quite good laptop some time ago, so I also bought a good monitor for it and a cordless mouse with a keyboard, so now it's almost like a desktop, except I can unplug it and take it to the university or my job without any problems.. Even though I'm still having problems with primary and secondary screens, because it doesn't work as I need, even though I'm still searching for a solution, mainly it's because different resolutions, the laptop is 1680x1050 and the monitor is 1920x1200.. I've set the monitor to be a primary screen and everything works fine, the laptop screen is secondary, but whenever I plug the monitor out to take the laptop somewhere else, the primary screen gets on laptop and all the icons get misplaced do to different resolutions and I really would want them to be in the same place or even better, I would like to have two different screens that nothing would be changing..Anyway, I noticed that my laptop can only play stereo channels and as I have a 5.1 surround system, it got a bit annoying so for my laptop I bought an usb sound card which is quite good, because now the microphone and headphones slots in the laptop are empty and I always can put my headphones with a microphone on it and talk on Skype and at the same time listen to music, which on the desktop computer was impossible.. the weird thing now is I have a lot of wires on my table near the laptop :PFurthermore, I wanted to buy an usb hub to have more usb slots, but I noticed that my monitor has two extra slots, so I didn't buy it and as of storage, my laptop has only about 320 GB, but as I have a Home server with ~500 GB the storage is not a problem and I think I have solved all my problems with making the laptop to be like a desktop and which can be portable :P Also, the laptop is more power saving than a regular desktop computer, so I guess it's also good.. :rolleyes:And my laptop I guess is enough for graphics and as I'm not into graphics that I would need an external graphics card, what's the point of that, unless you like me want it to be like a desktop, but portable as a laptop..

Nowaday mobile graphic adapters are doing just fine, I don't think we have to complain about them ^^ . It's true, you can't use the Crytek engine at the highest settings nor can you enable the realistic physics, but if that's what you want then you'll have to buy a desktop pc. You don't buy a jeep to race on a circuit ? So why buy a laptop to play heavy games on it ?

There's a certain amount of leeway, I suppose it's enough to be over some easy reqs (though, my integrated gpu is doing a hell of a lot better than I understood possible). As that is so, screen inches per pound ("/lb) should be next on the to do list, raised.

Actually, they should put the gpu in a corner, so it gets 3d cooling from vents, and it's easier to access. Just make/change the motherboard.

It doesn't have to be in a corner, heatpipes can carry the heat to several vents, so the gpu could be in the middle of your laptop (which is better as in a corner, because on your lap, the left and right side of your laptop are resting on your legs, isolating the heat, while the middle of the laptop is directly exposed to the air, giving it some space to radiate heat ...)