xisto Community
sparkx

Server With Quest?

I am currently trying to make a server off of my home computer, but I can't get it to work at all. I have a quest modem and a windows XP computer (which also has Linux and it doesn't even work with Linux). I can access my server with localhost:[port] just fine but when I try through my router (for now I will just call it 192.168.0.1) I cannot connect to my server using 192.168.0.1:[port]. My port is not 80 so that’s not the problem. How would I need to configure my modem so when an incoming address is read the modem sends the request to a switch then to my computer? Here is my network setup at the moment:Internet --> Modem --> (Switch and Wifi) Switch --> (My Computer and Others) My Computer.What would I need to do so My Computer can become a server? Do I need to set-up the modem with port forwarding or something like that?I am completely clueless on what to do. Does anyone have suggestions?Thanks,Sparkx

If you sit down at the 192.168.0.1 computer, does it work with 192.168.0.1:port ?Because if it does not work from the same computer, that means that your computer is listening on localhost:port instead of listening at 192.168.0.1:port

Did you work will apache web server ?
If so, you may need to check the httpd.conf file to see if it include the IP Address
you used to access it.

Try open the httpd.conf and look for an item called Listen
and modify to fit your needs.

For example,

// To listen all IP AddressListen: 0.0.0.0// To listen some specific IP AddressListen: 127.0.0.1Listen: 192.168.0.1

Here is my current status:It works with other computer on my Network for example I can access it through 192.168.0.2:[port] (My Computer). I have only tried from the switch to switch not wifi to switch. Anyway it works just fine like that but when I try from my router (192.168.0.1) I still get the error. How do I tell my router software (an old firmware version) that when a request comes in for my port send the request to 192.168.0.2?I am not using apache server but rather a server that I made myself using Java (which is the main reason I can't just use Xisto). I am fairly confident in my code as it works just fine on the local computer.My end goal is to make it so the people from anywhere around the world could connect to my IP for example 1.1.1.1:[port] and they won't get some cannot connect to server error.Thanks,Sparkx

OK, your server works.
Now you need to be reached from outside.
First of all, you must now how your provider gives you your Internet connection. Does he give you a fixed IP address, or does he give you a fluctuating IP address.
I am talking about your worldwide IP address, not your local address (the 192.xxx one).
In order to know your true address, from your PC (the 192.168.0.2 one) go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
You will see your real Internet address, the one that can be reached from outside.
So, you can try to reach your server from outside to that real internet address.
If it does not work, that means that your router does not redirect the [port] part 192.168.0.2:[port] address. In that case the router has to be configured for that.
The last point is to check your true Internet address each week. If this address is changing every week, you will need to associate this address to a fixed domain name, a lot of providers offer that for free.

I have a dynamic IP, and I know that it is my modem that needs to be configured I just don't know how. I get to the control panel then I set port forwarding (I heard that’s what you need to do) then I test and it doesn't work. I have even tried DHCP Server and it doesn't work. My computer's LAN IP is Static but not my modems WAN IP. Do I need to try from a computer outside of my network or can I just try from a computer using [WAN IP]:[port]? It doesn't even work with a computer inside the network unless I directly connect. Just a side note, I can access [WAN IP]:80 from within my network to get to my control panel so it shouldn't be a hardware problem. What my question is, is what would I need to configure?My Routers:-Firewall-Port Forwarding-Static Routing-Nat -est.Any Suggestions?Thanks,Sparkx

You need to tell your router to which IP should IP forwarding be redirected : the .1 address, or a MAC address, or any address.Else, the router does not know to which PC should the packets to [port] be forwarded.And of course your tests should be made from outside. Simply have a MSN window with a friend, tell him "go" and he will tell you "yes" and/or show you the correspondit screenshot. Today you can test with a dynamic IP address, the address will change every day or so, but at the end you will have to bind this dynamic address to a fixed domain name (like myname,ftpserve.net).

Quest ServerServer With Quest?

I don`t think Quest has a server. All my mail came back error numberOX800CCC0D what ever that is? I always got incoming mail through HTML.MSN,Q.Net,or Windows live. So I changed my address to Windows live.Com!

Joseph W. Holmes

RegistrationServer With Quest?

I registered my account last night to enter the game and was told that an e.Mail confirming would be sent within 10 minutes. No such confirmation has arrived thus I cannot log in to the game. I would appreciate it if someone could help me in this matter.Regards, JS

-question by Jan Serdecki