xisto Community
Cassandra1405241487

What Freeware Do You Use?

Some small freeware utilities for Windows which not everyone knows about. Real freeware, not adware or other ickkies. some of them are also available for other OSs.

Productivity:

Yankee Clipper. Windows clipboard enhancer for text, images, and other formats. Includes a boilerplate handler. Also seems to have a paid version now, but I don't know anything about it.

ExamDiff. Makes it easy to check the differences between 2 text-based files. Also has a paid version which I've never used.

WWW:

Naviscope. A pre-fetch type Web accelerator with some other functions such as DNS caching and ad-blocking. No longer being developed, and no longer has a website, but available from many old freeware sites. The most recent release is 8.70. I think that Proxomitron is very similar, but I've never tried it.

AI Roboform. Form filler. There's also a paid version, but I haven't tried it.

Lynx Browser. Text-only Web browser has several uses in this multimedia age. Among others, it makes it easy to check HTTP headers and to at least try to view pages whose scripts have gone crazy.

Security:

InstallWatch. Records the changes which a program makes in your system while installing. Helps to get rid of junk which badly written programs or malware leave all over your system even after uninstalling.

AxCrypt. File encryption.

AnalogX Script Defender. Simply asks you if you're sure before you can run scripts or programs of types which you can specify. Especially good for keeping yourself from accidentally running or installing malware from email attachments. AnalogX also has some other freeware utilities worth looking at.

(Freeware by Gibson Research.) Many small utilities for testing and tweaking security settings on Web-connected machines.

hey nice list. I think ill do one of my own too maybe someone likes it.

Photofiltre: A nice and basic, easy to use programm developed by some french people. There are many language packs available for it so many people can use it.

Coffee Cup Free FTP: This is a nice FTP programm. The interface is great and intuitive. For this one there is also a paid version which allows you to edit files on the server through some window on the bottom or something. Does seem very enticing but i havent tryed it.

High Logic Font Creator 5.0: For all you designers out there. Very nice program and has good vector tool and very many options and buttons for a nice veriety and all. This one isnt actualy Freeware but you can press the Use Evaluation Version even if it says Day 55 of 30 Days of you evaluations period or something.

Thats it for now. I hope someone will enjoy these programms and make some nice stuff with them.

hey nice list. I think ill do one of my own too maybe someone likes it.

Photofiltre: A nice and basic, easy to use programm developed by some french  people. There are many language packs available for it so many people can use it.

Coffee Cup Free FTP: This is a nice FTP programm. The interface is great and intuitive. For this one there is also a paid version which allows you to edit files on the server through some window on the bottom or something. Does seem very enticing but i havent tryed it.

High Logic Font Creator 5.0: For all you designers out there. Very nice program and has good vector tool and very many options and buttons for a nice veriety and all. This one isnt actualy Freeware but you can press the Use Evaluation Version even if it says Day 55 of 30 Days of you evaluations period or something.

Thats it for now. I hope someone will enjoy these programms and make some nice stuff with them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

uh your making us do work?

the least you could do was give us the url to download from, like everyone else did above you.

PhotoFiltre

Coffee Cup Free FTP

High Logic Font Creator 5.0

Here are two I forgot:

Webcow: Simplifies downloads of large numbers of files from links on a page. The interface is a little clunky and takes some learning, but I do find it useful.

Scanner: Clearly displays how your disk space is being used. Very Windows friendly: doesn't need to be installed. Just put it somewhere and run it. He's also got some other interesting freeware there.

im not that experienced, but from my experience as an early noob I liked Kazaa, but it seemed to get worse and I now hate the program, for music I turn to Limewire, for videos I like that bit torrent program azureus. it has alota of documents too, and sometimes you can find things on Edonkey or Emule that you cant find on either, thats just my preferences.

WWW:

Naviscope.  A pre-fetch type Web accelerator with some other functions such as DNS caching and ad-blocking.  No longer being developed, and no longer has a website, but available from many old freeware sites.  The most recent release is 8.70.  I think that Proxomitron is very similar, but I've never tried it.

1064314316[/snapback]

Cassandra, if you are interested in Proxomitron, you might want to read my post on this fine board covering some features this proggie has as well as some links. The fasterfox extension for firefox (Link) also has a prefetch fuction.

Cassandra, if you are interested in Proxomitron, you might want to read my post on this fine board covering some features this proggie has as well as some links. The fasterfox extension for firefox (Link) also has a prefetch fuction.

1064330056[/snapback]

I am indeed now looking for a substitute for Naviscope, since I'm getting a little tired of the way Naviscope refuses to play nicely with multiple user accounts. However, I do want prefetching, and that Firefox extension refuses to install itself properly in Deer Park. And I also use IE6. Oh, well....

Oneof the most useful Freeware programs I have ever seen is a Clipboard Manager named Miniclip.

(download link here)

It remembers all the stuff which you have "cut" for pasting and lets you retrieve it from a list of recent clips. You can set how many items it wll remember and the maximum size of the clips. It also stashes the web addresses that you have cut into a seperate list so you can retrieve them as well. Loads of other features, too. It even has a built-in calculator.

A regular Swiss Army knife for your desktop.