xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Yahoo! Search Boss

Last wednesday (2008-07-09) Yahoo! Search launched a new service called Yahoo! Search BOSS (Build your Own Search Service) which is a web services platform that allows developers and companies to create and launch web-scale search products by utilizing the same infrastructure and technology that powers Yahoo! Search.

Some capabilities of the new Yahoo! Search BOSS service are:

Ability to re-rank and blend results

Unlimited queries

Total flexibility on presentation

This service is based on Python and is available to everybody, to get started and Build your Own Search Service you only need to go to the the Yahoo! Developer Network and get a BOSS app Id.

For more information visit Yahoo lets you build your own search service.

Best regards,

This is actually quite interesting. Initially I was going to say that wasn't this already released by Google with something similar? Then I realized that Google doesn't quite offer the same level of functionality since what Google searches from your site has to already be indexed by Google, whereas with this API that Yahoo released, it will just give you its product and let you do whatever you want with it. Although personally I don't find Yahoo search to be all that great, I wouldn't say it's horrid either just because there are fewer people using it. Personally, I must say that the ability to change the order of the results seems very interesting, and I'd like to download this just to see such a function in action. The fact that there are unlimited queries is a plus. :)

This is actually quite interesting. Initially I was going to say that wasn't this already released by Google with something similar? Then I realized that Google doesn't quite offer the same level of functionality since what Google searches from your site has to already be indexed by Google, whereas with this API that Yahoo released, it will just give you its product and let you do whatever you want with it.

Although personally I don't find Yahoo search to be all that great, I wouldn't say it's horrid either just because there are fewer people using it. Personally, I must say that the ability to change the order of the results seems very interesting, and I'd like to download this just to see such a function in action. The fact that there are unlimited queries is a plus. :mellow:

As you, i think that the Yahoo! Search BOSS will be very similar to the Custom Search Engine offered by Google, but after reading the Yahoo! Search BOSS documentation i notice that it is a more robust and complete product than the one offered by Google.

I'm planning to use Yahoo! Search BOSS with my next project, i'm waiting for my client to decide if we use it or not.

Best regards,

As you, i think that the Yahoo! Search BOSS will be very similar to the Custom Search Engine offered by Google, but after reading the Yahoo! Search BOSS documentation i notice that it is a more robust and complete product than the one offered by Google.
I'm planning to use Yahoo! Search BOSS with my next project, i'm waiting for my client to decide if we use it or not.

Best regards,

That sounds interesting. I'd like to see an implementation of Yahoo! Search BOSS as I can see that it has a lot of potential. Perhaps it's unfortunate that I don't quite have enough time right now to mess with it. I do wonder if Google will do something similar in the near future to keep up with Yahoo? Now that would be interesting.

This seems really interesting, I'm also thinking of changing most of google stuff and search queries to Yahoo, due to with time I'm using it I'm more happy with the results, even though google is default in a lot of places, I still don't know if it's available or not, but due to I use Google Adsense, maybe in the future there will be something like Yahoo Sense :mellow: or maybe there is something like that already, just I don't know about it.Will need to play with Yahoo BOSS soon!

i think that it is new and good.... but how we can benifit from it?can anyone tell me ? btw i am new here and this is my first post so please tell me if i posted wrong sections.... thanks..