xisto Community
surfinhu

Fast Computer

what is the fastest computer that you have seen?where?when?you computer is fast for you?i have seen the fastest computer in my all life in school.. last year.i want to buy a similar.. but it's still expensive =/and you?

I'm not sure where I have seen the fastest computer at. Probably at Best Buy or Comp USA (one of the really expensive computers on display). But the computer I'm using is fast enough for me right now.

The fastest computer I've seen was at my friends house, he bought last year everything what was the best and thought he will have an ultimate computer, but as he said to me later, he just wasted a lot of money, because buying a bit cheaper things, games could run in a similar speed, but still it was really fast comparing to my current computer.. :)

Well he wasn't buying in USA and it isn't dollars here, so I don't know exactly how much is a dollar now and by saying best I didn't really mean the best of the best and the only one best best best, but with lots of stuff, I just have asked him and he says ~8500 LT so that's maybe ~4000$ but thats still much of money, because for 1000$ I could get quite a really good computer Today :)

I assume the fastest I've used would either be the super computer on my campus or, if it counts, a beowulf cluster we created at one of my old jobs. I really can't remember the speed but you can imagine it was more powerful than anything you'd buy in a retail store lol.The cluster was 10 computers each running with 4 gigs of ram and a dual core 2.4 ghz processor. We only really used it for one application we had developed but the performance was ridiculously impressive.Probably the fastest retail system I've used wouldn't be that impressive really. Maybe a quad core 2.4 with a couple gigs of ram, average video card. Snappy but nothing amazing.

Which is the "fastest computer" needs to by qualified by "when." I was physically in the room with several each of the Texas Instruments Advanced Scientific Computer and the Cray-1. Each of these was sold at a price in the range of $6-8 Million in 1976, which would be about $27 Million in 2007 dollars, according to the Inflation Calculator.

One of the computers I have at my desk, which I bought for about $600, has a faster CPU, more RAM, and more hard disk than either of those computers. :)

Docduke has a point. When and what time? I think the topic starter was referring to contemporary computers and not the pre-ISA systems. However, $27 million dollars is quite impressive for a supercomputer back then. It costs just about one roller coaster xD.I wish I can have a computer with more than just dual core. It is in my plans, but I hate it when they cost more than my budget and it's not ridiculously more too. A quad core is just across that budget fence >.<".xboxrulz

I wish I can have a computer with more than just dual core.

Did you have a look at the cpu usage ? At which moment do you have full load of each cpu core ?I would like to know that because, if your cpu is not 100% used at the most critical times, doubling the cpu power will not enhance performances. If your computer spends it's cpu time in disk usage and waiting for the network or waiting for memory, two extra cpu's will change nothing, the extra cpu's will still wait for the disks.
If your computer is waiting for disks, you have first to add disks. For instance, in this situation, switching from a two-disks system to a system with a single disk will give worse performances.
If your computer is waiting for processor time, then you may add processors or switch to a computer with more processors.

Three monthes ago, at my work, I used a 64-cpu Power5 system. 64 cpu on the same motherboard, 200 gigs memory and 100 tera disks, a nice toy.Now, my next tream is putting my fingers on a 64-cpu Power6 system. Please, Boss : for Christmas ?

what is the fastest computer that you have seen?

iMac

where?

Library

when?

Err... a couple months ago I think.

you computer is fast for you?

It's decent but not fast enough for me. :mellow:

The fastest computer I used was an admins comp at Centrica (the oil company). He had a dual Samsung DH display.... and that's all I can say really! lol I wanted access to a Norwegian server but my current access rights wouldn't allow me so I got to use his computer. Apart from the amazing display, it was lightening fast.

My computer itself cost around AUD1,900 while my 24-inch monitor cost AUD725 (minus 100 for a Samsung Promotional Rebate). Spending 4000 dollars on a computer is really not worth it, because the top hardware is not always needed and that hardware these days easily become out-of-date and superseded by newer hardware.