xisto Community
RunninXC

Free Ftp Clients? What to use?

Wich ftp client do you use ?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you want a free File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Program, then I recommend using FileZilla. It's absolutely free. If you want to check on the features of the software, you can visit the visit from here.

I use FileZilla a lot when I am uploading files to my website. It is very easy to use. Thumbs up for FileZilla! :o

I just post a topic related to another ftp client named MicroFTP 2000, for more information please visit the following topic MicroFTP 2000.Best regards,

I for one, also use FileZilla for all my FTP needs and on my Macbook I use CyberDuck.They are so lightweight and easy to use, it's unbelievable. Also, I like the fact that both support SFTP which I need for my college since they just disabled all FTP services for security reasons.xboxrulz

Filezilla is what I've been using ever since I have created websites. I had no problem with it on windows but have some problems with linux. In linux Filezilla wont let me download the files, it only upload files.

A poll added to this page would be nice. I am sure Filezilla would be the most favorite. Its opensource and is very simple to use. I haven't even tried others, so don't know about them. Have been using it since long time. These programs allow quick way to upload files to the server. But some free hosts limit the number of simultaneous uploads. But still its faster than manually uploading each of the files.

A poll added to this page would be nice.

OK, let's talk simple and direct. @Spencer, you expressed this idea. So, you are in charge of posting here the list of the concerned ftp clients, and I add a poll to this topic.Be careful when you create the list, because if the list only has "1) Filezilla 2) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 " then the result will be too automatically sugested.

The best free ftp client is Core Ftp simply the best because includes all the fucntions that a FTP must have.Chmod, Upload, Change Permissions, etc...I recommed you FTP Commader, too. But the best is Core Ftp.

erm, could we really upload file using ie yordan? i thought we have to use win explorer.. beside, it's not completely free, we still have to buy winblows.

another suggests would be core ftp, micro ftp, go ftp.. i really want to suggest lftp because you can do ftp even behind nat firewall, but it only works in nux, mac osx cli, and cygwin.

btw, i'm using filezilla, but sometimes my files aren't completely transfered. is it only me? i wantes to try coreftp and goftp, but they only for winblows. now i'm stuck with web based ftp, and sometime use kftp or kasablanca (kde platform).. if there's other suggestion, pls share

OK, let's talk simple and direct. @Spencer, you expressed this idea. So, you are in charge of posting here the list of the concerned ftp clients, and I add a poll to this topic.Be careful when you create the list, because if the list only has "1) Filezilla 2) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 " then the result will be too automatically sugested.

I think yordan was just giving the comparison on how not to post the names. @akashi: I've added your suggestion too.Here's a list of some popular FTP clients. I have also given the type of client whether its free, opensource or paid (Price range).Filezilla: open source, Multi platformFireFTP: open source, comes as a plugin for FirefoxCuteFTP: $15 to $40, Win/MacOSSmartFTP: Once a free client, not anymoreCoreFTP: Free to $35FlashFXP: $25FTP Commander: $30 - $100Cyberduck: MacOSMicroFTPGoFTPOthers (Please mention)@Yordan, you can just put the names.

Notice from Yordan:
Done.

I voted for "other" in the poll. I type "ftp:username@myhost" in the IE6 URL field, it opens a window with the remote computer folder, and I can copy-paste from and to my computer. This is very convenient when you often switch computers, and you happen to be on a computer where no ftp client is installed, or I am not familiar with the installed ftp client.

erm, could we really upload file using ie yordan? i thought we have to use win explorer..

You really can do it. It's a stupid way, of course, mainly because there is no retry in case of network failure, so you don't really know if your file was correctly uploaded. But, yes, if you have no admin permission on a Winblows computer (unfortunately you can meet some in the real life) this method exists, it's better than having nothing.And, no, I did not give extra money for Windows. I bought my computer with vista installed, and when I removed vista and installed Mandriva, I got no money back... But this is another debate, is Winblows free or not, shall we use it or not, can we survive in a Crosoft world... Maybe it would be worth opening a special thread on that subject.