xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Normano

Private Servers Question

There is nothing in the rules that says that playing a private server is illegal, or hosting your own.And you are just making your own server, you are not stealing their game.

In the case of WoW it is completely disallowed by the End User License Agreement. Furthermore the legality is highly questionable as the severs are reverse engineering code that is not theirs in the first place infringing on the copyrights of the creators. Thus if you are taking their efforts to make your own server you are most certainly stealing from them.

Yea it would depend on the game, personally I couldn't imagine many companies actually going after someone running a server even if they legally could, its probably more so to make sure they are not liable if something happens on these open servers. I would imagine the majority of games, however, don't care enough to even put it in the EULA and a lot of games actually openly provide the software required to run your own server so in those instances it is obviously fine. There isn't a blanketing rule that says yes or no to having a personal server for all games ever, so if you are concerned it'd be best to look up the particular games you are worried about and go from there.

In some MMORPG's, the private server rules are relaxed and/or not enforced. However, in others, such as habbo hotel, you frequently get them threatening to sue you. It depends on what MMORPG it is. Most of the smaller less popular ones are more lax on private server rules. But world of warcraft, runescape, and the like, are all strict in this respect.

Well WoW allow you to pay a one of fee to set up a private server (from what my cousin told me) apart from that yes it is illegal, but who cares.

I asked the same question on the RS forums once, it is illegal to create an RS server, but they are very, very lax and do not enforce the rule. So your fine to set up a private server as far as RS is concerned (i have one! =D)

But RO pivate svr is illegal accoding 2 game flier... Sum1 making a private svr get warning frm them. bt those who under a payed host no nid 2 get warning... wat now? pay 2 play? or pay 2 let ppl play?

It's not necessarily illegal, or legal. It might be prohibited by the game's user agreement/TOS. Is it exactly illegal to set-up a server? No, so long as you are not breaking any copyright laws, engaging in piracy, or anything of that sort. But I know various companies have successfully filed cease and desist orders against groups sponsoring or developing private servers. The common consensus on private servers is that at best it's just highly questionable.

What do i type into my realm list to get onto a private server?

Private Servers Question

Like on that word pad program when it says

Set realmlist us.Logon.Worldofwarcraft.Com

Set patchlist us.Version.Worldofwarcraft.Com

What do I replace that with?

-reply by Exlandor

Private servers would be illegal if the game developer/owner/publisher did not give you permission to host their own on your own private servers. Many private servers are run using game server applications that have been stolen or copied from the developer/publisher without permission. If in doubt, you should view the game publisher's Terms of Service/Use and contact them for more information.

The three you mentioned are definitely illegal, Jagex aren't lax about RS (only one I know much about), the other two it's different, you buy the server program?

It depends. If the software used for the PServer is made by independent 3rd party developers like eAthena, it is legal. But if it is the original and leaked out(Aegis from Ragnarok for example), it is illegal.

If the server is completely reverse engineered, then that server is running legally. Reverse engineering is legal in the US. And since the server creators never enter into any sort of contract with Blizzard, they aren't bound to any end-user licensing agreements. The ones breaking the law are the individuals connecting to the server. Blizzard cannot go after them all, as each lawsuit would cost more than they'd get.

On a side note, most, if not all, private servers employed packet sniffing, which isn't reverse engineering but directly copying Blizzard's intellectual property. Thus, most, if not all, private servers are illegal.

-reply by anonymous