xisto Community
antony1405241558

Is There A Php Editor That Runs On Pclinuxos Or Ubuntu? is there a php editor that runs on PClinuxOS or Ubuntu???

I too would reccomend notepad++. Its a delight to use and makes php editing a breeze. If that doesn't work out for you I'm pretty sure the base text editor in ubuntu (gedit I assume) has color coding for php and other basic coding standards so that might be worth checking into.

I use NotepadC++ a lot, mainly it's standalone version. I use it mainly for editing C programs. And my collegues love using it for editing xml files.

Other than that, you can also try Eclipse. http://www.eclipse.org/. They're written in java, thus it's multi-platform. I'm using it in windows, but you can also ruin in linux. It's great for developing other programming language too. Plus it has many plug-in which can really boost your productivity.

I'd suggest notepad2 and php5/6. On windows I've tried php ide's, but I still prefer a text editor with highlighting, then just dragging it onto the php executable.

If you are using Ubuntu, why don't you use the built in text editor gedit? It supports syntax highlighting and integrates well with Nautilus. If you are looking for something lightweight, open up a terminal and type in "pico". Although I don't think that is what you would call "decent".For Windows, I recommend Notepad++ as most did above. It is an excellent tool for writing any kind of scripts/programs.

I'll fourth Notepad++ as the best option. Admittedly I haven't really "shopped around", but I don't see any need to as it does everything I want it to and more. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it also has a Linux distribution (although I wouldn't place any money on that fact)? If so, it's the perfect application. If not, then as a main Windows user I haven't looked for others and so can't be of much help.

Either way, though, the built in text editor of Ubuntu (and any OS, in fact) does perfectly well, if a little blandly (regular Notepad is just a pain).

EDIT: Just had a look at the Notepad++ site. Instructions on installing it on Ubuntu (although admittedly only two versions, from what I can tell) can be found here. As to how well that works in other distributions or versions, I haven't a clue. Hopefully you can have a tinker and come up with something, though. Notepad++ is certainly worth it.

Edited by Mordent (see edit history)