xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LegallyHigh

Most Seo Friendly Forum

I do not know too much about Forums (or Bulletin Boards) and Forum Programming (I am having trouble learning PHP with My Simple Machines Forum). I was just wondering what is the most SEO Friendly, or most easily Spidered Forum Program. Also, what is the Most Seo Firendly Free Forum Program, and which Forum has the furthest Potential to become the Most Seo Friendly Forum Program (with additions of Mods, of course)? Sorry if this is a lot of Questions in one Thread, I;m just wondering.

I think that vBulletin is actually the best. They have a bunch of MODs that help SEO and practically invite spiders to index your website. For free forum software, I think SMF is the best. Mine was indexed easily and fast, but Google hasn't put it in searches yet.

SMF for what the users see, IBP has a lofi version which is what Google sees, caches and uses in search results.You can't really invite spiders.. if your foruim is linked to by a page that Google knows of, that's all you need, eg your sig.As well as what the forum looks like, eg no javascript content, xhtml, etc, SMF and probably an IBP plugin used here, makes search friendly urls.

Try spoofing yourself as a google bot or any other bot and browse different forums and you'll see what you get, by spoofing yourself I mean use a different user agent, the one google is using. As I know it can be done in a lot of ways, the most easiest I guess is using a Firefox add-on which can change your user agent and just use lets say this user agent:

Google-bot/2.1 (+https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/182072)

or even this:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/182072)

You can find more user agents for all the other bots on google or any other search engine. :rolleyes:

To tell the truth, I always thought that showing different content to bots than to users was forbidden and your site could get a ban, but I guess what matters is content and not HTML, but also a lot of those forums changes anchor links to be SEO friendly, why can't it always use them :? Anyway, have fun, I believe there are even sites which you can browse with a different user agent online like through a proxy.. :P

Well probably vBulletin forums are most likely to be seo friendly by themselves but of course there are many other ways to make you forum an actual 'SEO' site. The only one i know is vBSEO which is pretty damn good but of course you need to pay for it.