xisto Community
mikesoft

Help! Usb Flash Drive windows doesnt recognize it anymore...

So my uncle asks me to format his computer and install windows and stuff. So I did like I do with my PC every six months. No problems at all, everything was working. So I proceeded to install drivers, which I had already on my flash drive, a 2GB PNY flash drive.But, for some reason, the usb drive was not recognized by windows XP on my uncle's PC, and I tried again on another port. No luck. I was thinking maybe all the usb ports were broken or something... but then I went to my desktop and proceeded to connect my usb drive to burn the drivers on to a CD.And what's my surprise?? again, my windows doesn't recognize the USB drive connected.... :) I think my uncle's PC burnt or damaged somehow my USB flash drive.. I had so many sensitive files in there... and it was like 3 months old!!! it wasn't that expensive but I'm not from the US so buying it here (in venezuela) can cost even 3 times its normal price..When you connect it, not even the "activity" led lights up... is it gone? forever? or is there some way to fix it?thanks.

Guess what ? I just bought a brand new USB flashdisk because my 2Gb flashdisk simply stopped working. It worked at 9 in the morning, and at 10 it was not recognized any more.And I don't think it's something wrong in your uncle computer, simply you had bad luck. My girl had this problem with a mouse, simply stopped working. Such is life.All of us should always remember that disks can die, flashdisks can die, CD's stop being readable. So, all precious data have to be on several different support (in my PC and in my flashdisk), and you have to have money in your pocket in order to buy a new flashdisk.

So my uncle asks me to format his computer and install windows and stuff. So I did like I do with my PC every six months. No problems at all, everything was working. So I proceeded to install drivers, which I had already on my flash drive, a 2GB PNY flash drive.
But, for some reason, the usb drive was not recognized by windows XP on my uncle's PC, and I tried again on another port. No luck. I was thinking maybe all the usb ports were broken or something... but then I went to my desktop and proceeded to connect my usb drive to burn the drivers on to a CD.

And what's my surprise?? again, my windows doesn't recognize the USB drive connected.... :) I think my uncle's PC burnt or damaged somehow my USB flash drive.. I had so many sensitive files in there... and it was like 3 months old!!! it wasn't that expensive but I'm not from the US so buying it here (in venezuela) can cost even 3 times its normal price..

When you connect it, not even the "activity" led lights up... is it gone? forever? or is there some way to fix it?

thanks.

Does it work on your own machine? It could just be a USB controller driver error.

Guess what ? I just bought a brand new USB flashdisk because my 2Gb flashdisk simply stopped working. It worked at 9 in the morning, and at 10 it was not recognized any more.And I don't think it's something wrong in your uncle computer, simply you had bad luck. My girl had this problem with a mouse, simply stopped working. Such is life.
All of us should always remember that disks can die, flashdisks can die, CD's stop being readable. So, all precious data have to be on several different support (in my PC and in my flashdisk), and you have to have money in your pocket in order to buy a new flashdisk.

Maybe you burned the flash memory stack inside. Remember, USB keys have no moving parts, so maybe you just wrote too many times to it and it just burned out.

xboxrulz

so maybe you just wrote too many times to it and it just burned out.

Sure I wrote a lot of times on my USB flashdrive, it's a convenient for holding my data in my pocket. I did not imagine there could be a "too many times" limit. Like the kilometers on my car !

it doesn't work on any of my PCs... same thing happens, it says that windows can't recognize the attached usb device... and the activity led on the flash disk doesn't light up... so yeah it's dead :)

Sure I wrote a lot of times on my USB flashdrive, it's a convenient for holding my data in my pocket. I did not imagine there could be a "too many times" limit. Like the kilometers on my car !

lol, remember, even hard drives have a read/write limit before it too, dies out. However, an average home user will NEVER kill a hard drive like that. However, since flash memory has a limit a lot lower than disc-based hard drives, the chances of a burn is a lot higher. I have yet to burn any of my USB keys, but I've heard it happen.

it doesn't work on any of my PCs... same thing happens, it says that windows can't recognize the attached usb device... and the activity led on the flash disk doesn't light up... so yeah it's dead :)

Yup, unfortunately, it sounds like a dead drive. However, you can always get a cheap 2GB drive by now.

xboxrulz

I hate to say but it doesn’t very good for you. I soon learned that the data on USB drives can be just important as you primary drives. I lost my first drive several years ago and since then I keep mine encrypted at all times and use a regular backup schedule. I keep the contents encrypted just in case it does go missing. The last one didn’t have anything vital but you never know what someone can do with even the most innocent information.

Flashdrive in USB port shuts down computer

Help! Usb Flash Drive

When I install my 512 mg Flash Drive it shuts down my computer. Any ideas what might be the problem?

-reply by Gordon Fleckenstein

Flashdrive in USB port shuts down computer

Help! Usb Flash Drive

Replying to FeedbackerReplying to Feedbacker

We had this problem with one of our servers running 2003. Turned out there was an MS hotfix for it. Try windows update. If that doesnt work look for a usb driver for the controller.

-reply by Greg

some pc

Help! Usb Flash Drive

I discovered that some Pc's burn flash drives.I have lost almost 8 flash drives in the same incidence.A particular pc, burnt 4 of my flash drives.

A way of fixing these burnt flash drives should be discovered soon.

Tanx

-reply by Suthec

I got it!!!!!!!!!

Help! Usb Flash Drive

I got the answer to all of my problems, I read in a forum (don't remember which one) but if you right click on "my computer" click on "manage" and then go to "Disk Management" you would see your removable drive, just click on "change drive letter and paths" click "add" and the "Assing the following drive letter" as soon as you click "OK" windows will launch autoplay, and you are all set.

-reply by Nicolas

usb flash drive

Help! Usb Flash Drive

Hi! I'm in bad luck,, my usb flash drive was no more recognized by the computer, but unlike on those incident that it didn't light up, in my case my flash drive comes light fast so much, about 10x blink at a second! any answer?? plsss??

-reply by jonas

I have got this microsoft usb flash drive manager to backup data before.
Please check to see if it is help ! =)

USB flash drives are compact and easy-to-use devices that are similar in use to your computer hard drive. USB flash drives slip into your pocket, conveniently around your neck or on a keychain for ultimate portable storage. USB flash drives in 2005 can hold up to 4 gigs of data, which is over 1700 three-minute songs (66 hours) recorded as MP3s or about three times the content of a standard compact disc. If you share a computer, USB flash drives are a great way to store personal information. USB Flash Drives are also a great option for saving information and share it with others. When you have many things to save and share but you have a limited number of USB Flash Drives, you will need to backup the information and restore it when needed. This is where the Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager application can help you. The Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager will help you backup and restore presentation, pictures, songs and applications from and to USB Flash Drive devices and take them with you. The application can also help you to classify and name USB Flash Drives images (for instance "My network configuration" or "The pictures for my grandma") and lets you see this name whenever the USB Flash Drive is plugged into the computer.
Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager is available for Windows XP only.

Download
Edited by magiccode9 (see edit history)

Would like some advice about my external hard-disk Help! Usb Flash Drive

I have a 250GB hard-disk that I was using on my mac (tiger software, don't know if it is important or not) working fine. I brought it over to a friends house he has a old PC (windows 98) same thing the hard-disk working fine, but then when I turned it on my computer didn't even recognize it, like it didn't exist. The strange thing is that the hard-disk works perfectly on any PC but does no longer work on mac (and not just mine, I tried it on my moms who has leopard software and it still didn't recognize it). So now basically my files are safe but I can't use them on my mac and I no longer have any PC's at my house. It's not serious all I will do is just hook the hard-disk up into a friends PC with and just transfer the files from my old hard-disk into a new one, but I just wanted to know if I could give fixing it a shot first.      

-question by Sean

Windows Vista doesn´t recognize the pen driveHelp! Usb Flash Drive

UPnP Device Host service was stopped and configured to manually started. I started it and the USB worked, pen drive recognized.

-reply by Renato