xisto Community
abjunk

Crt Monitor Puzzler. Help Appreciated CRT monitor keeps clicking does not start

I have NEC multisync FP912SB monitor that exhibits strange behavior. I wanted to get feedback if it is worth repairing/fixing it.I already have a new monitor and I was planning on giving this old one to charity if it can be fixed easily. Thanks 1. Few minutes after the computer goes into sleep mode, the monitor starts making clicking sounds. The screen still stays blank. 2. When I start my computer, it doesn't turn on, but keeps making the clicking sound. 3. However, it works if I follow the following steps: a. disconnect VGA connector, keep monitor powered on b. start the computer c. wait for a second and then connect VGA connector then it works like a charm. I believe the setting is at 1400x1050 at 70Hz.However, If I wait more than a second before connecting the VGA connector then it doesn't work. It just keeps clicking. Any suggestions would be helpful. I hope it is a simple fix. Thanks.

Sounds like it's pretty much stuffed!I'm not the person you turn to for hardware problems though, only software!I was going to say that maybe the cord is stuffed but that wouldn't explain the clicking problem.How old is the monitor?

Sounds like it's pretty much stuffed!
I'm not the person you turn to for hardware problems though, only software!

I was going to say that maybe the cord is stuffed but that wouldn't explain the clicking problem.

How old is the monitor?

It is couple years old. But it was hardly used. It still has excellent picture quality, lovely colors and very sharp!
I would hate to throw it away. I think it has a lot of life in it if it can be fixed.

On my old PC back at home, the monitor had a similar problem. After prolonged inactivity, the monitor would just not power on. It used to work only after repeated power cable connects/disconnects. And this happened more during winter. (I guess the circuits were freezed or something) The mechanic was able to fix it by replacing some minor chip. The monitor is not one of those PC components that you have to keep upgrading. So, you should definitely get it fixed by a mechanic.

Best guess is that the monitor is having a hard time charging the caps that power the tube. Try to get it fixed, new, good CRT monitors are hard to find nowadays especialy if you want them for a good price.

3. However, it works if I follow the following steps: a. disconnect VGA connector, keep monitor powered on
b. start the computer
c. wait for a second and then connect VGA connector
then it works like a charm. I believe the setting is at 1400x1050 at 70Hz.

However, If I wait more than a second before
connecting the VGA connector then it doesn't work. It just keeps
clicking.

At point b, when you say start the computer, then wait for a (1) second then connect the VGA, at that point, is it still at the POST or just slightly the begining of starting windows (assuming you're using winXp or vista)?

My guess is the power supply problem. Since the horizontal frequency is controlled by the computer, (which unlike TV running on a fix one), the secondary voltages generated from the flyback will be affected. So, at some h-sync frequency, there might not be sufficient voltage to start the rest of the system. In this case, usually low h-sync would help, like POST screen, or DOS console screen. Btw, during standby mode, the flyback is off.

I would suspect it's the problem of capacitor. Even though I've not repair monitor with such anomalies, but capacitor dried up is a common problem among monitor. But even thought, repair cost might be high which is due to high service fee, not the parts.

You can also try this. Keep the monitor off while the pc on. On the monitor, without connecting the VGA, wait for a second or 2 for a startup click, then connect after it, or even right before it. That's when the monitor tries to power the flyback circuit before returning into standby mode.

You can also try diff refresh rate to find out which freq can make it works all the time. NOTE: if you're half way testing it and the screen won't come back on, just press the power button. Windows will shutdown itself. Then you can try again.

At point b, when you say start the computer, then wait for a (1) second then connect the VGA, at that point, is it still at the POST or just slightly the begining of starting windows (assuming you're using winXp or vista)?

Just beginning of starting windows

You can also try this. Keep the monitor off while the pc on. On the monitor, without connecting the VGA, wait for a second or 2 for a startup click, then connect after it, or even right before it. That's when the monitor tries to power the flyback circuit before returning into standby mode.

It works only if VGA connector is disconnected before I start the monitor, wait for a click and sound of degaussing and then I connect it. If monitor is connected when I am turning the power on the it just keeps clicking
It also does the following, when the system is running (computer is on, monitor is connected and running fine), if I disconnect and connect back the connector then display goes blank and it keeps clicking.
On the other hand, when the system is running, if I disconnect the monitor (display is working), shut off the monitor, turn it back on, wait to hear the sound of click and degaussing and after that connect it back on, then it works fine.

You can also try diff refresh rate to find out which freq can make it works all the time. NOTE: if you're half way testing it and the screen won't come back on, just press the power button. Windows will shutdown itself. Then you can try again.

On the other hand, when the system is running, if I disconnect the monitor (display is working), shut off the monitor, turn it back on, wait to hear the sound of click and degaussing and after that connect it back on, then it works fine.

That prove the theory, the h-sync and the secondary voltage of the flyback is too low

That prove the theory, the h-sync and the secondary voltage of the flyback is too low

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Is it easy to fix this? Expensive? In parts or labor?
I will be giving this to local charity which refurbishes the computer equipment. I will mention it to them

Might not be easy to pin point the exact part that fail. Unless of cause if it's a common problem amongs this model. It's good that you would actually donate it.

That monitor is broken dude. Get one last entertaining piece of fun from it. Get an extension cord, take it outside, plug it in, turn it on, then shoot the tube with a 9mm or a .38 or better from 20 feet or so. You could open it up and put some baggies filled with kerosene in it first for added fun.

That monitor is broken dude. Get one last entertaining piece of fun from it. Get an extension cord, take it outside, plug it in, turn it on, then shoot the tube with a 9mm or a .38 or better from 20 feet or so. You could open it up and put some baggies filled with kerosene in it first for added fun.

;):P:P

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have donated the monitor to Goodwill. Lets hope they manage to fix it and it finds a good home. It is a really good monitor. Just that it was a pain to keep it on my narrow desk. My Samsung 215TW is great. Equally good picture quality and much better form factor.