xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

101 Css Techniques Of All Time

It seems that a lot of people on these forums are farily new to creating websites, so I thought I'd pass this link along, since I think many people will find it very useful.

Its a entry from someone's blog that covers the most useful, or coolest, or most popular CSS techniques being used right now.

It covers things like rounded corners, image wrapping, creating shadows and transparency. Each entry has links to step-by-step tutorials with how to implement the technique.

From the site:

CSS has fundamentally changed web design, it has provided designers with a set of properties that can be tweaked to make various techniques to make your pages just look right.
Today we are presenting a round-up of 101 CSS techniques designers use all the time. Definitely worth taking a very close look at! This is just the first series , the second part will be coming

soon, stay tuned and Enjoy!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

(Part 2 is linked from here)

This is a really interesting site! There are lots of CSS techniques here for more visually appealing pages. I think that I will keep this page in my list of web design related sites.

Great timing haha, I'm going to need to build a page over the next few days for a course at uni and I'm hoping to rush through it so I'm guessing a list of useful CSS tricks will speed the process up to make the page un-ugly. Perfect :) The techniques I saw just skimming it over looked very useful. I can see a lot of people being helped by that link. Good stuff.

CSS ? I'm considering if I should use it. It's said that IE8 won't support it. :(

Sorry, but IE8 has full CSS 2.1 support! IE was the first browser to support CSS by the way, and it has fallen behind everyone else in IE 7 compared to Firefox 2, Opera 9 and Safari 3.1. Besides, it's far too early to worry about IE8, we still need to ensure full compatibility for IE 7 for the next couple of years, and we still should continue support IE 6 for a while if possible, although that isn't exactly the biggest priority (depending on your target audience).

Yea, css has become far too ingrained in the web for microsoft to ignore it, they might ignore the latest updates to standards and might try to ignore some completely, but this is one time you don't need to worry, css will be around for awhile :(

That site you mentioned is very informative, I know most of what has been listed there. But learn something new about the sliding doors technique which I found very interesting. Thanks for sharing the info. With times coming to a change and css is in adverting and obviously taking over the web as we know it. It should be mandatory that all web developers know css and breathe it like it was air itself. Now a days when I see the use of tables, it just disgusts me with how people could still be using that, for one I understand its use for forms. But for layout design, its just hideous in my personal opinion code wise. Tables is a very dirty coding technique that can get rather complex and messy if not used properly. In my time of browsing the web and observing and analyzing webpages, I have noticed a good load of badly coded pages that I just sometimes wonder why? With css someone can do a 40 line table code into a 2 line div css code. I know and understand the complexity of web developers find it tiresome with the browser compatibility issues, but coding in a mass production way for very large websites needs to be done in css and nothing else. Although recently though I noticed an improvement in websites migrating to css as a standard which I see as a good move. Because as time progresses we will be looking to the globerization way of coding.

Is it me or I saw this site/blog some time ago or maybe it was something different, but with a similar topic. Anyway, the resource is really helpful and not only for beginners with css, but people who is a bit advanced too :(

Great find you have there! I have been looking for a good rounded corner tutorial for a long time. Favorited for sure. The opacity and drop shadow ones were very interesting as well. I wonder if there are any more, similar articles on the web...? :(