xisto Community
OpaQue

Network Outage. Distribution Switch Ddosed. Lesson Learnt

The Distribution Switch to which our network is connected was DDOSed causing a partial network failure. The entire downtime was reduced due to our DNS shift in Dec 2007.

We regret to inform that today at about 11 AM IST, We started experiencing a network lag. By 12.30 PM IST, the network was down partially with most of our servers affected except Zeta and Mu. By 1.00 PM IST, the entire network had gone down and was recovered slowly by 2.00 PM IST. By 2:30 IST, the network was completely recovered and all servers were operating smoothly.

FULL STORY: https://support.xisto.com/index.php?_m=ns&newsid=11

hmmm... I didn't notice any downtime, I guess I was snoozing when all of this mess happened.Good thing the recovery process was fast. Might I suggest that Xisto get like a Hotbrick firewall, it comes with ping-to-death protection.xboxrulz

hmmm... I didn't notice any downtime, I guess I was snoozing when all of this mess happened.

Or maybe your site is hosted on Zeta or on Mu ? Personnally, I was sleeping all the evening long, so i didn't notice if gamma was down.@Opaque : thanks for the corrective action you started. I feel very sad seeing that this means expending a lot of money. And thanks for working so hard for our pure pleasure.

all our websites here are hosted on gamma so they would have all been down at some stage. Free web hosting through Qupis is hosted on mu i believe, I'm not sure whats on zeta though, maybe more payed accounts!

I would also like to thank all the staff that have quickly rectified this problem!

Pitty it was down when I was trying to work on my site!At first I couldn't get on Xisto, the I couldn't get on sites hosted here. For some reason later I could get on some sites hosted here (but of course not mine :l).Later on I could get on my site and everything except Xisto. All I got was an IPS Driver Error (I'm assuming Invision Power Services) which was a database error.The important thing is that it's fixed now and although it seems like it's going to cost a fortune, hopefully it doesn't happen again ;)

Or maybe your site is hosted on Zeta or on Mu ? Personnally, I was sleeping all the evening long, so i didn't notice if gamma was down.

@Opaque : thanks for the corrective action you started. I feel very sad seeing that this means expending a lot of money. And thanks for working so hard for our pure pleasure.

all our websites here are hosted on gamma so they would have all been down at some stage. Free web hosting through Qupis is hosted on mu i believe, I'm not sure whats on zeta though, maybe more payed accounts!

I would also like to thank all the staff that have quickly rectified this problem!

Ya, all our sites are hosted on Gamma. Moderator or not, we are all on the same boat.

xboxrulz