xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xboxrulz1405241485

Microsoft To Buy Yahoo! Yay or Nay?

I really hope this deal doesn't go down. I'm a dedicated flickr user, and flickr just wont be the same if Microsoft took over I imagine. Also yahoo and rogers have a deal too, so I have flickr pro for free because my ISP is rogers. So if Microsoft took over, I could loose my unlimited uploading which would really suck, flickr is the best photo sharing sites out there.

I thought something was up when Yahoo! stocks when up 47% the other day. For some people that’s good, but I don't really like Microsoft buying out other companies even if they are not do so well. I looked and I thought for sure someone messed up entering the opening price. Not to often you have jump like that (upward at least). I think that Microsoft probably will buy out Yahoo! I just don't see why don't. Don’t they already have MSN and Hotmail? Now maybe Yahoo? I guess people have two chooses either Google or Microsoft for email, finance, search est.Sparkx

I thought something was up when Yahoo! stocks when up 47% the other day. For some people thatâs good, but I don't really like Microsoft buying out other companies even if they are not do so well. I looked and I thought for sure someone messed up entering the opening price. Not to often you have jump like that (upward at least). I think that Microsoft probably will buy out Yahoo! I just don't see why don't. Donât they already have MSN and Hotmail? Now maybe Yahoo? I guess people have two chooses either Google or Microsoft for email, finance, search est.
Sparkx

I think this might trigger a larger migration from Yahoo to Google if the buyout does succeed as people are taking refuge from Microsoft ... that's why people fled to so many places like Google and Yahoo in the first place.

xboxrulz

i just heard this news a few hours ago on TV, if this is gonna happen, then the search engine market will enter into a new stage. Live will own the rest of the 34% market share and i believe Google will make some strategic move to defend its current position.

You do realize that there are of course other search engines like Lycos, Ask, AOL and etc. Plus, none of these engines are large in China (including Yahoo, Windows Live and Google). Baidu (100 degrees in English) is China's largest search engine and has the potential to tap a market as big as 1.2 billion users (assuming they all have computer access). So that figure about Microsoft swooping the rest of what Google hasn't taken is false.

xboxrulz

So yeah, apparently, google is aiding Yahoo into stopping MS form taking power. It's funny hwo everyone fails to understand how MS is a business just like any other. Just like google is, by the way. Do you honestly think that google all-in-all wants to cover for Yahoo out of solidarity? I assume google doesn't want to see the market share being consumed by Microsoft by absorbing another competitor. In the end, it's business, just like any other. HAs anyone ever witnessed how Altavista was bought and sold in between companies like it was a game of ping-pong? Compaq, CMGI, Overture and eventually Yahoo, have had ownership of AltaVista at some point - even though Altavista was considered to be one of the first, all-out, full-blown search engines on the web.As for Microsoft. It's a decision any healthy company might make. They see an opening, and they're going for it. Can you blame them for it? Yes, I agree, it does suck out the genuine feel of things, it does take away the edge and it does inject a big corporate feel into it. Did you know that internet explorer was in fact developed by another company? Back in the early years of the infamous browser wars, Netscape navigator was one of the bigger players. Spyglass Inc. seemed to have a promising browser themselves, so MS bought it. Years later, Internet explorer is considered one of the most standard (not the best, not at all) browsers out there.

Thanks, dserban for the update.@HiddenKenshin: that's exactly the problem, these companies are just being chewed by bigger corporation to strengthen their monopoly. Like I quoted a Sun Microsystems staff, what did Microsoft invent? R&D and M&A are the same at Microsoft (check previous post for full meaning of the acronyms). I back Google on their decision.xboxrulz

I think it's interesting that they're buying Yahoo. It'll also be interesting to see what they'll do with it. Will they merge it with msn? It's obvious they're only doing it for the money, I mean, they already have a search engine/email/messenger.I personally hope Yahoo doesn't get bought by microsoft, and remains independent. Otherwise we'll just see Google and Microsoft competing with eachother. What microsoft seems to do whenever they see another potentially serious competitor, is to buy it, which is understandable, as the worlds biggest computer giant, with the richest person in the world as their chairman. I'm surprised they haven't tried to buy google yet.Also, I can see them buying other sites, like myspace, or facebook. After all, Google bought youtube. It's going to turn into a contest of who owns more of the internet.

Having propositions of free email box services from other companies (hotmail, mail.ru etc.) I am not worring about Yahoo - it is not a great deal to change mailbox! However I will be unhappy if all of them will be closed.

Having propositions of free email box services from other companies (hotmail, mail.ru etc.) I am not worring about Yahoo - it is not a great deal to change mailbox! However I will be unhappy if all of them will be closed.

You do realise that Hotmail was bought out by Microsoft in the late 1990s.

xboxrulz

Hotmail , when it was born, was an era-changing application. After Microsoft bought it, its become just another mail service. The advantage of being the first in the arena was lost when MS decided to stagnate users at 25Mb inbox space while others had already moved on beyond 100, 500, 1 Gb and gmail. And till hot mail became Windows Live, it loaded up pathetically slow compared to Gmail. Yahoo, ofcourse hasnt looked any better since the day i abandoned it for gmail, but even so, it commands a following - and a loyal one at that. Though it may have lost some of its core business to MySpace messenger, and though its interface and features pale in comparison to its nearest competitors, Yahoo is THE yahoo. It was my first email address, and most of us have that kinda nostalgia about yahoo. The point here is, Microsoft only has Google's rapid expansion to counter. All this time, Ive been hoping that yahoo! would rise to the challenge in the interests of Better Business and if Yahoo gives in and gives up now, it would be a crying shame to say the least. Microsoft buying Yahoo is bad news, because most of all its an identity issue, its like Coke buying Pepsi or McDonalds buying Burger King. Hotmail and Yahoo have competed fiercely, and not all of us have Amnesia. Brand identity goes for a toss in this takeover. Imagine your dad getting a sex-change lol and coming home to you "Son, you have two mothers." Well even if noone else feels this passsionately about the issue , I do think you guys get my point. Yahoo will barely survive this takeover as a brand, while MS can feed its bloated ego.