xisto Community
inbetween

What Language Do You Speak? Ive always wanted to learn new words... I wonder if anyone else d

How many languages do you speak?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think, your title should be "How many languages do you speak?"

Not necessarily. I love the "fluently" part of the title.

I would say that I speak SQL language rather fluently. My English is relly not fluent. My C++ is not existent. And my html pages are worldwidely said very ugly. So my fluent language count should be "1". Or maybe should I also add +1 for Germand ans Spanish ? But these are only holidays languages, so in standard situation I need several hours in order to resynch.

Well, I speak english, mandarin(chinese) and malay fluently. Since I'm a chinese, and like most chinese, we speak own own dialect as well as other chinese dialects . If dialect can be considered a language, it would plenty. Hokkien, cantonese, hakka, teochew are considered fluent for me. That would be counted as 7 i guess. Not sure if other races are considering their dialect as language?

With the "fluent" restriction, I am limited to English. Next, which I like a lot, but don't practice enough, is Esperanto. It uses the Roman alphabet, minus qwyx, plus ĉĝĥĵŝŭ. It is artificial, phonetic, almost completely regular, and very easy to learn. Really. When I first heard of it, I was in my second year of struggling with Russian at MIT, and the president of the Harvard Esperanto Club told me he could have me speaking it in 10 lessons over 10 weekends. Really!? I asked. He did it! That was 41 years ago, and I am still able to read (most of) the Esperanto Wikipedia.

I have taken a semester or more of: Latin, Russian, Italian and French, plus self-study of German, Japanese and Chinese. Latin was in High School, and actually proved useful when I was at the Circus Maximus in Rome, and met a Spaniard who spoke no English. At the time, I spoke no Italian. We both spoke Latin, so we got along! I studied all the other languages in preparation for visiting countries where they were spoken, except for Chinese.

My son took a class in Chinese, so I studied along with him. Computers have really caused a revolution in the study of Chinese! I spent months learning how to look up Chinese characters in a dictionary by identifying radicals and counting strokes. Now, I just put the UTF-8 representation into a search engine, and immediately get the English translation of that character (in isolation).

The most fundamental conclusion I can draw from my experience is: if you don't use it, you'll lose it!

Hello,I speak spanish, I'm from Venezuela, but my english is pretty good. I'm also learning french, though I can't really say much more than "Comment allez-vous?" hahaha ;)After french I think I'll learn mandarin (chinese), I just love languages!

That's very true about the 'if you don't use it you loose it'. I'm curious docdude, if you have came across any web sites where you can learn another language online or offline that is for free - where you don't have to subscribe or make any type of purchase. If so, maybe you can post some URL links. I wouldn't mind learning again. ;)

I haven't seen ppl speaking fluently more than one language...What means fluent? I have two understandings about the fluency of a language:1. Entering a pub you are able to understand 95 % of the conversaions (in this case what the waiter is asking for and what your neighbour is trying to tell you after an hour of standing)2. Thats also a test - take The Canterbury Tales in the language you wanna prove yourself...I hope I am fluent in one language...though I like to say 3 ;)

I have chosen 3 languages, but I cannot say that I have no problems with English and French. I am more or less comfortable only with technical (computer) English, because I have been using it approximately for a 8 years, but I'm not able to write fiction stories in English, for example.French is my second foreign language, because I live in suburbs of Montreal (French-speaking environment).My mother language is Russian.