xisto Community

Some people have asked me is the Macbook worth it to buy, I say that it's been great so far, only problem is the fact that there's no memory card reader, and I don't like the fact that its display chip is an Intel GMA 950. I'd be happier for a GMA X3100 for the price I'm paying... As with all laptops, be sure to buy an extended warranty from Apple. I got AppleCare for C$299 (it's a ripoff since my American counterpart pays $100 less and our currency is on par. They should drop the price, the whole industry should, I feel ripped in this sense). However, that said, AppleCare is really worth it since like all other electronics, Apple hardware also does fail; my friend's iBook G4 just failed and he got it in February 2006.If you are planning to get a Macbook, wait until MacOS X Leopard to come out later this month if you can wait for it. If not, get it now. You'll wish you never had your parents, teachers or friends introduced you to Windows.xboxrulz

How much would these things go for in AUD (Australian Dollar), though I am somewhat a bit more interested in a machine for windows (I suppose it should be able to run it, as mac is doing normal pc hardware these days right?).

Yes, Macs run on Intel, therefore you can run Windows, but why would you? Running Windows isn't it's raison d'ĂȘtre. Buying a Mac includes buying a license for MacOS X.A Macbook starts at AU$1599 (the base model).xboxrulz

Well if it weren't for the steep prices on apples I would probably go out and buy one right away....My one issue is that I have so much software that runs only on windows that switching would not be very easy for me at the moment....other than that I would probably go right out and switch....

Well if it weren't for the steep prices on apples I would probably go out and buy one right away....
My one issue is that I have so much software that runs only on windows that switching would not be very easy for me at the moment....other than that I would probably go right out and switch....

Apple's stuff is a little higher-priced...but despite what alot of people rip on apple hardware for (as long as you don't get anything with a revision 1 logic board, lol) the hardware is very reliable...and lasts alot longer than it's pc counterparts. The latest versions of OSX run on much older hardware than the latest version of Windows do...so you don't need to upgrade a machine to use new software.

Well if it weren't for the steep prices on apples I would probably go out and buy one right away....
My one issue is that I have so much software that runs only on windows that switching would not be very easy for me at the moment....other than that I would probably go right out and switch....

You just pay a bit more than usual, but the hardware and operating system can last you a lot longer. Many people consider Apple as premium systems because of their build quality. Especially for me, I use it at school, so I have to have a laptop that will survive a school setting. I basically destroyed an already 7 year old Samsung (it still runs but it's very dented and wartorn). My Apple is scratched but no dents in it. Previously I had an HP before I got the Mac and it failed 3 times and also it got dented, I exchanged it so many times that I got fed up. I was glad to pay more (yes, I used my own money for it)

Apple's stuff is a little higher-priced...but despite what alot of people rip on apple hardware for (as long as you don't get anything with a revision 1 logic board, lol) the hardware is very reliable...and lasts alot longer than it's pc counterparts. The latest versions of OSX run on much older hardware than the latest version of Windows do...so you don't need to upgrade a machine to use new software.

Exactly, that's what I say to many people, Apple create great hardware, and so far, I have no problems. Many PC users don't understand why, they think Apple is inferior because less people use it (which yes, there's a smaller population), but they don't understand why Apple machines are so good. Even if they do fail, AppleCare will fix'em up and it's a good investment.
xboxrulz

Well I don't have too many problems with PC's...really the only component I have had trouble with them failing in a PC so far is the hard drive....but I have a PC that is 14 years old and still running strong...I would still have the issue with a macbook and the software that I would like to use...

I would still have the issue with a macbook and the software that I would like to use...

You could always use boot camp to dual boot mac os x and whatever other operating system you wanted. apple has drivers for the macbook hardware for xp and vista...

Well I don't have too many problems with PC's...really the only component I have had trouble with them failing in a PC so far is the hard drive....but I have a PC that is 14 years old and still running strong...
I would still have the issue with a macbook and the software that I would like to use...

By PC do you mean notebook PCs or desktop PCs?

I'm talking about laptops here and since laptops have more things to damage it, it needs to be durable and Apple makes very durable laptops.

xboxrulz

I do not own a MacBook, but a friend of mine does and I must say I'm a bit yealous ;) . It's small, lightweight and the sreen is crisp and clear and their battery life is superB. The only thing I don't like is the weak hardware specs. For €950 you get a Macbook (as a student) but for a mere €100 extra you can buy a T5200/2Gb mem/120Gb HDD/nVidia GfGo7400 ... other downside is that you can't click using the touchpad (at least not on my friends macbook, but maybe he disabled it) and it has some problems connecting to WiFi networks (he can't connect to his own network).

i love macbooks and pretty much everything else apple.i was saving up for a laptop but i couldnt decide out of windows or a macbook (if i was gonna get a windows one id get an acer gemstone)but i cant be bothered saving up so im gonna buy a new phone tomorrow ;)

I do not own a MacBook, but a friend of mine does and I must say I'm a bit yealous ;) . It's small, lightweight and the sreen is crisp and clear and their battery life is superB. The only thing I don't like is the weak hardware specs. For ĂąĆč950 you get a Macbook (as a student) but for a mere ĂąĆč100 extra you can buy a T5200/2Gb mem/120Gb HDD/nVidia GfGo7400 ... other downside is that you can't click using the touchpad (at least not on my friends macbook, but maybe he disabled it) and it has some problems connecting to WiFi networks (he can't connect to his own network).

For the clicking with touchpad, that can be changed in the system settings. Yes, I do agree with the GFX card, I was like, they could've put in at least a GMA X3100 to make it worth it.

As for WiFi, it must just be his router, I have no clue since my connection is rock solid, even when I'm over at my cousin's house next door.

xboxrulz

Saving enough side money for a macbook is one of my goals right now. I really like Apple's design and interface for the macbook. I agree that the price is really high though. Wish they would lower it...

Another bad part about the Macbook and I blame the Intel Core 2 Duo for this is that it runs extremely hotter than previous Intel chips or even Apple's own PowerPC predecessor chips. When I'm compiling something it'll peak up to 80 degrees Celsius!! That in itself is insane. My desktop runs at 57 - 65 degrees MAX and it has a Pentium 4 2533 MHz Northwood chip. Even the laptop that I refunded to get the Macbook had an AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHz chip and only ran at a max of 65 degrees.xboxrulz