xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sparkx

Connecting To Astahost's Mysql

Now this topic could fit under lots of subforums but this isn't really a programming question but rather asking what asthosts mysql host is?Long story short I need to connect to a mysql database via c++ (I dont even know if that is possible) but I cant use localhost (for obviouse reasons). Could you tell me how to find the mysql host for my account?Thanks,Sparkx

I am assuming that you are making a stand-alone program for the computer and will not be making something hosted at Xisto, the only thing you are hosting is the database. You program will go online to get the database info.the ip address for my website (I think it is a shared ip we all use) is 64.69.46.210 - i think you should be able to connect to that.

Yes, you should be able to use the shared IP address, but then you are also going to have to go into your cPanel and change a few things around....You'll have to find the thing about who is allowed to connect, and change it so that your IP address is allowed (otherwise the MySQL server will not accept your connection)

Brian is correct, at the moment the MySQL server will only accept connections from localhost or 192.168.1.% (Where % is the wildcard). Hopefully you have a static IP address that you are going to use, otherwise you might have some trouble connecting. You can also use a wildcard if you know which range your IP address it going to be in, that just means that you would be letting other people with a 'similar' IP to connect (not that they could without username and password). I think you should be able to enter just the wildcard (%) as the allowed host, but that lets everyone that has an IP address access to your mySQL server (thats a lot of people), but there will only be a limted amount of people that know where it is exactly, and only you are going to know the username password for it.To change your 'allowed hosts' goto your CPanel > Site Management Tools > mySQL Databases > Access Hosts and add a new value into the box there.Good Luck,-jimmy

Make sure you follow Jimmy89's suggestion (I don't know for sure either). Then, connect via the shared IP address for the Gamma server at 64.69.46.210. Be sure to connect to port 3306 (MySQL default port number).xboxrulz

I'd say your best bet would be to just enable access to % and choose a good, STRONG password, then remove that account's % access location when you aren't going to be working with it for awhile.Might also want to let the site admins know so that they don't think that your violating the TOS by using the SQL databases as storage for another site (I'm not sure if this violates the TOS or not, but when doing something nonstandard and/or unexpected like this, it's generally a good idea to let the sysops know ahead of time what you're doing).

Edited by ethergeek (see edit history)

Yes, I would also recommend that you e-mail support about this....Because you don't want to end up getting your account terminated due to usage that is against the TOS...you never know what they may or may not allow you to do..so it is always best to just ask them...they'll get back to you quickly, and it'll save the hassel of having your account deleted and you getting upset, if you know in advance whether or not it is ok or not.

Just as long as you don't use the Xisto account as some type of storage-only account, then you should be fine. There hasn't been something specific that had been said about not allowing remote connection to MySQL*. Heck, some standalone programs people write tells it to store things into a remote MySQL database.* don't quote me on it. Be sure to double check with an administrator.xboxrulz