xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
uNiT

Problems With Comcast

Has anyone else been having problems with comcast modems as of lately? I've been doing tech support for roughly two years now, and one of my friends is unable to connect to his wireless d-link router. I came over and had a look at it, and everything seemed fine for the most part, except the fact that the connection wasn't working. After about half an hour of trying different methods of resetting, replugging, ect., i figured the d-link router was bad. So I brought it to my house and hooked it up with my westell modem, and it worked perfectly fine. Leaving their comcast modem the only possible cause. The modem is fairly new, and they didn't pay the extra for the warranty on it, so replacement is a last resort. I was wondering if anyone here might have found a fix for this?

Remember that not all cable modems work on their cable system. For example, I had a new Motorola modem that my ISP issued us and I installed it. It never worked as the modem never picked up the signal. Apparently, the Motorola modem doesn't work with the cables in my house so they gave me a Scientific Atlanta modem. My ISP is Rogers Communications Inc.xboxrulz

Recently I've been experiencing a lot of problems with Comcast. However they keep claiming that theres a problem with their "servers" down where I live, as a few of my friends have called in and complained as well. My internet goes out sometimes 5 to 6 times in an hour on a bad day, sometimes I can get through a whole day without getting kicked, some days it just does not work at all. At first we thought it was a problem with our router, so we got my Uncle to come over (he knows a lot more about computers than us) and everything worked just fine, we even tried using one of his spare routers at our house and we still receive the problem. A lot of my friends who've called in to complain have been having the same problems. After about a year of putting up with this and being told repetitively that its sever problems down here, were thinking about switching to another internet provider. Thats just for me though.I too would like an answer to fix the problem. :P

answer t the Comcast and wireless router problemProblems With Comcast

Comcast has an improved business model. They want to lease you a Netgear wireless router for 2.50 / month. Amazingly, if you agree to this and can afford to wait until 4:45 am on a Monday morning for the Comcast tech to show with the router, then you will be freed from constantly dropping the IP on your home network.

Of course all they are doing is acting like bankers, brokers, and other liars who control the distribution chain. IOW Comcast is renting you a "netgear" router and on their end at the Server they note your account number is a "hn" -- instead of " " . Of course they could let everyone's router work by simply making this change but in their improved business model they have determined since they cannot prevent a user from providing Internet service to several home computers they will charge a monthly lease fee by making sure your installed router - linksys, or netgear, doesn't matter - will intermittently drop the Comcast IP. 

Nice Huh? Cox does not do this. Verizon does not do this. As far as I know only Comcast stoops so low. Any techie working for Comcast should be ashamed - just like the banks, the brokers and all the other liars it will come back on Comcast and the employees. Anyone who lies down with dogs will get up with fleas.

Please feel free to pass this around. 

Patrick Patterson

Charleston, South Carolina

comcast stinkProblems With Comcast

hahaha I agree totally with  Pat, comcast just wants to try and take over all of your freindly internet needs. I have always had problems with there modems. When I play games its all good till abouyt 5 mins into it and then I start getting lag spike every 3 seconds. Its like clock work the spike is dead one to 3 seconds and then bing... 3 seconds...Bing.  it does this on all 6 of my pc's. This totally make's any online games impossible to play. I have spent hundreds of dollars to play World of Warcraft and with this problem, its like burning your money for nothing. Hence find another ISP. Comcast it a blue collar criminal , in it for the money only.

-reply by JonnyPC

I agree! comcast and problem with linksys routerProblems With Comcast

I don't even know how I've put up with comcast for 3 years but I've had enough since this last call I just gave them. I've done everything possible resetting/restarting/re-un-plugging routers/modems/computers. Cloning mac address etc. It only works for temporarily and then drops connection again. I asked the lady who I spoke with if our service was listed under home network or commercial or whatever and she just kept saying the same thing over and over as if they're robotically programmed "Comcast does not do routers, comcast does not do routers. We can rent you a router. Comcast does not do routers." Not even letting me speak to ask how much they rent it out for before the ***** said "You can go on comcast.Com/routers" and this wasn't even a real address when I went to check. I just hung up on her. I've had enough of these idiots. I'm unlucky and live in Tallahassee County and there is only Comcast and Embarq as far as I know but back home in Tampa I have Verizon and they do NOT do this and have a lot better customer service who doesn't give me an attitude just because I call tech support which is their job to help with these type of problems. Ugh. 

-reply by Mphn17

Today there have been confirmed network problems with Comcast outages in the Bay Area. After calling them, they said no outage on the phone, but the Live Chat from their web site, they said there WERE outages in my area.However, they'd rather hide that fact from you, even on their "Network Health" page for 408 area code, they claim "Healthy!At this time, your Comcast High-Speed Internet service is operating normally. Check back frequently. Network Health updates for your area will be posted here."Now, what is the point of a Network Status page, that doesn't report when there's an outage? Well, the only conclusion I can come to is that they don't want the negative publicity. So that's why I'm posting. If they didn't try to trick everybody, I wouldn't have had a problem.

Fixed my DLINK issue with a comcast modemProblems With Comcast

I was banging my head for 2 days with about 35 different configurations and finally tried the following and it worked just fine. Also, tried connecting 3 computers and they all connected with “NO” issues. Even connected wireless with “NO” issues. Now I am at 20mb download speed…J compared to AT&T 1.5mb download speed.

This is my DLINK model -> (DIR-601 Wireless and 150 Home Router Wireless router)

1. Reset your Comcast Surfboard Cable Modem by unplugging it for 5 minutes.

2. Then reset your DLINK Router to the manufactures default settings. Then Unplug DLINK Router for 1 minute then plug it back in (Just plug your cat5 cable into port 1 and connect it to your computer) there should not be anything else plugged into the DLINK Router at the time you make the changes. Just 1 computer can be connected.

3. Went into the DLINK configuration 192.168.0.1 and changed the PPPOE setting that I was using for my AT&T Modem to Dynamic IP (DHCP).  Once you make the changes save them and then unplug your DLINK Router it’s off.

4. Turn on Comcast Surfboard Cable Modem and wait until all lights are on. Now plug in a cat5 cable from the Surfboard Comcast modem (NOT A CROSSOVER CABLE LIKE THE CD INDICATES) to the INTERNET port of your DLINK Router. Now turn on your DLINK router.

5. Then turn on your computers or restart them and it will pick up IP Addresses from your DLINK Router

6. Look at the below picture of my configuration.

Hope this works for you,

Thanks,

Turbo007

I have been having problems with my connection with comcast. My connection with them on an average will drop at least 4 or 5 times in an hour. As always they will tell you that they are aware of the problem in our area everytime you call them or... They will tell you to unplug this press this button move your router awway from your modem at least 5 ft and so on... They will say that my router is bad and have to get another one, I have the Netgear dual band router and have to buy a new Apple Extreme Airport and still they were telling me that I have a router problems? I really don't know if they are just giving me this run around crap or they just really don't know really what the heck is going on? I have the surfboard box with the voip. I'm very frustrated to the fact that we the customer are doing their job to reset the modem etc etc. I'm considering of gettin DSL in replace of my cable service. Any comment?

-reply by Alex

Are you using an splitter?Because they can create such problems.I've told Comcast to stop using these things, but they don't listen.This has nothing to do with your routers.Did somebody check your signal or your coax-connectors?

-reply by Dietmar