xisto Community
.:Brian:.

Linksys Wireless N 150 Router Review of the router

Well, I have had a linksys wireless b router for some time now, but had been having issues with not getting a strong enough signal throughout my house. Yet what seemed odd, is that I could get stronger signal from all of my neighbors, even those who were down the street several houses from me. And so I decided that it was time to purchase a new wireless router. Even though, the newest computer I have is wireless g, I went for the wireless n because of the increased range, and the thought that it will probably be a better investment for the future.

I am impressed, immediatly after plugging it in, setting up the security settings and such, I noticed a huge difference. Not only was I not getting constantly disconnected (I have yet to actually get disconnected from the network), but also I noticed that the one computer with the g networking adapter got an increase of internet speed from about 1-2Mbps to a little over 6Mbps, and so now web pages come up almost instantly.

Also the configuration pages of the router are so easy to understand and use and again work much faster than the previous wireless b router I had.

I would highly recommend this product to everybody, the particular one I got was the wireless n router that is around $120 (frequently on sale for $100), and is located here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

it's quite obvious that your wireless range gets a boost when you switch from 802.11b to 802.11g . 802.11b is the slowest technique of them all, followed by 802.11a, 802.11g and 802.11n . 802.11a and 802.11g have the same maximum transfer rate, but 802.11a uses a higher frequency (shoter wavelength) and thus has a smaller range, thus 802.11g is better :P .

Yep, the reason you got the speed "increase" is because of the longer range provided by the Linksys wireless router. If you bring the computer next to the router (or at least closer to it), you should be getting that 6Mbps speed also.Since 802.11g is still the more common standard today, I'm still using it. I have thought about getting the N or Pre-N type routers before, but it wasn't really needed. I rarely use file transfers in my local network and the range that the G provides is more than enough for now :P

I'm interested in an N router, but as all I have are B/G/A devices, I can wait until N is actually a specification. Spending most of my life on a college campus which is completely wireless and where most of the rooms have gigabit ethernet, and having a 24 port switch means I really don't rely over-much on my wireless speed to often.~Viz

Yeah, I'm waiting for the actual spec to be finalized and put into wide spread use. Most of my computers are still B (Airport) devices with a few G (Airport extreme) cards on my G5's and Powerbook. Frankly I never notice that much difference in file speed and when I need to link the G5's together for massive video files I use Fiber Channel cards so...

ghanging modesLinksys Wireless N 150 Router

I own a Belkin Enhanced Wireless BD6E8D.Model#F6D4230-4 V3. N150 Router.When I bought a MB300 Motorola Backflip cellphone it did not support the and mode format of the router,so my son changed it to a G mode and it worked fine connecting to the WiFi . I have since replaced that phone with a Samsung Captivate Galaxy phone and would like to convert the routers signal back to the and mode which I understand supports that. Can I get the procedure for accomplishing this task from someone please. Thomas

-question by Thomas

ghanging modes

Linksys Wireless N 150 Router

I own a Belkin Enhanced Wireless BD6E8D.Model#F6D4230-4 V3. N150 Router.When I bought a MB300 Motorola Backflip cellphone it did not support the and mode format of the router,so my son changed it to a G mode and it worked fine connecting to the WiFi . I have since replaced that phone with a Samsung Captivate Galaxy phone and would like to convert the routers signal back to the and mode which I understand supports that. Can I get the procedure for accomplishing this task from someone please. Thomas

-question by Thomas

Yes simply login to the routers control interface via the IP 192.168.2.1 (might be different but thats the Belkin default) either through your browser or via telnet. Once there you can go through the Wizard which will help you select the mode you want your router to run in.

Now to get back on topic,

G has become a very common band to use today but reduced wireless speeds can also be caused by wireless telephones and similar equipment (especially if you live in an apartment block) so if you keep finding your connection isn't as good as it can be try switching the channel of the router over to different channel numbers and test each one out until you get a speed you are satisfied with.

As for home and small business, Huawei B970B is the best one. Huawei B970B is a 3G modem router with an embedded 3G chip lets you surf wirelessly. We tell you how to set-up this wireless gateway router. Well, you can do as the user guides instructions, or do as the follow steps:
Step 1: Insert the SIM Card

Remove the SIM card holder from the Huawei B970B. Slide the SIM card into the card slot of the holder with the golden contact facing upward. Insert the card holder into the router.

Caution: Before inserting or removing the SIM card, you must disconnect the router from the power adapter.

Step 2: Connect to the Power Adapter

Use a power adapter that is compatible with the Huawei B970B; otherwise, the router may be damaged.

Step 3: Connect the router to a PC

Use either WiFi or an Ethernet cable to connect the Huawei B970B Router to the PC. The Ethernet cable cannot be longer than 100 meters (328 feet), and to achieve the best results use a shielded cable.

Step 4: Keep away from Telephone

The wireless signal can interfere with the telephone, so please place the telephone at least one meter from the B970B Router.

Step 5: Locating the router

To improve wireless reception, Place the router near a window as high as possible. The B970B can be placed horizontally on a table, hanging against the wall, or leaning against the pedestal. Press the clips on the pedestal, and insert the pedestal into the router. The pedestal will support the router.

Caution: To avoid interference from the wireless signal, place electrical devices at least one meter from the router.

Step 6: Connect the External Antenna

(Optional)

In areas with weak network signal strength you can attach an external antenna to improve yourConnection quality. To do this, connect the external antenna cable to the antenna jack on the main unit making sure it is rimy screwed in. Set the antenna switch to ¥°external¥¹.

Step 7: Power on the Huawei B970B Router

Press and hold the ON/OFF button on the front of the router to power it on or off.

Step 8: Make a Call

When you hear the dial tone after picking up the handset, you can make a call.

Step 9: Dial-up Access

By default, the router dials up to access the Internet as required.

Step 10: Protect Yourself

We recommend you change the following settings immediately to secure your B970B wireless router and prevent unauthorized access. Use your internet browser to navigate to the router management page (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/), and then select ¥°Advanced Settings¥¹.

1. Select ¥°System¥¹, modify the admin password.

2. Select ¥°WLAN¥¹, then select ¥°Advanced Settings¥¹, and choose an appropriate encryption method.

Edited by yordan
quoted the copied text (see edit history)

People who are using Internet more or less know whatÂĄÂŻs Router like, and what WiFi hotspot Router use for. Huawei D100 is the very Wireless hotspot Router added one important function: supported 3G Wireless Broadband USB dongle. It makes peopleÂĄÂŻs life easy & convenient. Huawei D100 router is very small petite. Yg shape small and elegant it is suitable for all people who have mobility eminence. Yg model sturdy enough so that you can take them wherever you travel. White. Wireless Router does not include the USB modem as a modem unless some E1550 and K3760. Unlocked and can be used for all GSM 3G operators
There is one RJ45 port & one USB port on Huawei D100. RJ45 port could be used as WAN Or Lan connected with Ethernet cable it which helps you transform ADSL signal to WIFI signal. And the USB port of course is for 3G Wireless broadband USB dongle. Huawei D100 3G Router could support different types of 3G Wireless Broadband USB dongle which is no matter working in CDMA, WCDMA or TD-SCDMA. ItÂĄÂŻs a highlight of HUAWEI D100 3G Router

The Huawei D100 Router is a WiFi router with a difference. Instead of plugging it into your landline broadband connection, you slot a standard 3G USB dongle into the top, at which point it shares out the 3G broadband with any device in the area. This is perfect if youÂĄÂŻre travelling and need to give the family their own WiFi connection in a hotel or holiday let.

Just plug your unlocked Mobile Broadband dongle into the router and youÂĄÂŻve got access to the internet that you can share with wi-fi enabled devices such as a PC, Mac or laptop. You can even connect more than one computer at a time, using just one 3G dongle. The WiFi hotspot router is only compatible with Huawei Mobile Broadband dongles.

MODEM3G.COM

Notice from Yordan:
Please do not post copied text without properly quoting it ;)

Edited by yordan
quoted the copied text (see edit history)

If you use FaceTime often, youÂĄÂŻre probably familiar with how frustrating it is to have to get on a Wi-Fi network in order to use the service. Although you can Facetime with some application on you jailbreaked iPhone, itÂĄÂŻs still a big problem for those beginners or person donÂĄÂŻt want jailbreak their iPhones.
In my opinion, if a cell phone canÂĄÂŻt make video call on the go (3G Facetime), the video call function is useless, because when I was at home or in the office, I could use Gmail, MSN and many other applications to make a video call on PC.

And now this issue will get resolved with iOS 5 according to report.

The message first unveiled on modem3g.com It¥¯s said a reader post a screen shot, in which iOS 5 shows an alert box asking the user to turn on cellular data or WiFi to use FaceTime. By playing around with the iOS 5 preferences in Settings->General->Network, we¥¯ve found how to replicate the ¥°issue¥¹: turn off Cellular Data in the Network tab, open FaceTime¥¯s prefs inside the Settings app, and you should get the alert box. If it doesn¥¯t come up, try to turn FaceTime off and on again, making sure Cellular Data is still set to off. iOS 5 will tell you that you need data (3G) or WiFi to use FaceTime.

MODEM3G.COM