xisto Community
hazim

Hp Printer Problem

i have an "hp deskjet F370 (all-in-one) printer-scanner-copier"; it was working normally, but now when i try to print anything, when i click print, "save as" opens to save the file in an mdi format (.mdi). i also tried to open and print this new file, but with no result!!!

i have an "hp deskjet F370 (all-in-one) printer-scanner-copier"; it was working normally, but now when i try to print anything, when i click print, "save as" opens to save the file in an mdi format (.mdi). i also tried to open and print this new file, but with no result!!!

I think you must have set the printer to print to file. 2 Places where it might have been set, so as to revert it. Assuming you're using WinXP. Other windows OS is quite similar.

1. If it happen to all the applications, then it's set under the printer's properties. Goto control panel -> Printers and Faxes. Look for the F370, then right click, select Properties. Under the Ports tab, you should see a list of port, like LPT1, COM1, FILE, USB001. FILE must have been selected. You need to select either USB or LPT, depending on which one is your printer connected to.

2. If it only happen to a particular application, then under the print dialog of that application, which appear either before you print, or by calling print setup. Look for "Print to File", make sure it's not checked. Sometime is hidden under another dialog, like Advance Setting.

As for the mdi format, i'm not quite sure why it save to that format. Normally it should save as .PRN file. With the prn file, if your printer is connected under LPT1, you can still print via dos prompt, "type filename.prn >> lpt1". That will print out what ever you have try to print(even graphic). A useful trick, if you happen to plug the printer on the pc without the driver, and you need to print from another pc maybe without lpt port, you can print as file and transfer over to the other pc to do the printing. The pc which do the print to file will need a compatible driver though. I did that once and save the day, cause i don't have the driver disc, and my notebook don't have lpt port.

It may also be that you have the default printer set as a file printer like Office Document Writer. If so, make sure that you are printing to the HP printer by checking the 'Printer' option before printing.If you want to change your default printer, go to my Computer > Control Panel > Printer and Faxes > Right click on the HP and select Set as Default Printer. Then make sure that the Black Tick appears over the HP printer icon.Also, Publisher 2003 uses the .mdi format for printing, though you have to select an option for it to print to mdi filesGood Luck-jimmy

Well like them, i reckon you have is printing to file.my canon all in one is my default printer.ive also got a pdf printer in there (so i can make pdfs)when you go to print something make sure your printing to the printer.

This may be a problem with your windows OS, you should reinstall.

This may be a problem with your windows OS, you should reinstall.

I wouldn't go as far as to reinstall my OS without trying other solutions first! Reinstalling the OS is sort of, one of those last resort type of things if nothing else works!

I have faced a lot of trouble with my canon printer. Whenever I tried to print any document it used to produce smuged copy. As I am not a very computer literate I did not know what to do. One of my friend asked me to seek support from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. I was apprehended initially but as I got in touch with them I was totally impressed with the service the staffs out there provided to me. Later I came to know that my friend also got their help when his printer was misbehaving. I think it might be beneficial for you if you get in touch with them without any delay.

The .mdi file is a Microsoft Office Documet Imaging file, so I think when you print it is getting sent to be saved as a file instead of being sent to your printer. In similiar ways, the Adobe PDF printer converts documents sent to it into a PDF file.

Not able to open the PDF converted files.Hp Printer Problem

Hi,I have a code logic which converts a word document file into a PDF file by first converting the .Doc file to .Ps and then to .Pdf.The issue is really confusing, when I have my HP printer set as the default printer, it works perfectly fine. But when I set my canon(Canon iR3235/iR3245 PS3) as the default printer, the PDF file is created my folders but with errors.Can you please help to solve this problem..Thanks for your help.Thanks and Regards,

-question by Puneet Luthr