xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tennorhornist

Increase Internet Speed For Win Xp Home

All those Win XP Home users who have looked at the "increase your internet connection by 20%" and have been disappointed well I have found the answere.The bandwith limiter is a service known as "bits" or "Background Intelligent Transfer Service". If you disable this your connection will increase.

no bits = no windows updates.for those who are dissapointed by the tweaks, continue doing so because there's no such thing as an effective tweak for speeding internet access.

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

Increase Internet Speed???? :P My answer: ONE OF THE MOST BIGGEST LIES IN THE INTERNET HISTORYYour are able to tweak your Window$ to improve your Internet bandwidth usage, but, there is no way to increase your Internet Speed, this is all about bits, you pay for the Bandwidth, your ISP will provide you a range of bandwidth guarantee, usually you will get between 10% and 99.9% THERE IS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR INTERNET SPEED, because is managed by your ISP. If you need more speed: PAY FOR MORE: "someone must pay the coffee".PLEASE DON'T waste your time trying following lies. <_< Blessings!

Increase Internet Speed???? :P My answer: ONE OF THE MOST BIGGEST LIES IN THE INTERNET HISTORY
Your are able to tweak your Window$ to improve your Internet bandwidth usage, but, there is no way to increase your Internet Speed, this is all about bits, you pay for the Bandwidth, your ISP will provide you a range of bandwidth guarantee, usually you will get between 10% and 99.9% THERE IS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR INTERNET SPEED, because is managed by your ISP. If you need more speed: PAY FOR MORE: "someone must pay the coffee".

PLEASE DON'T waste your time trying following lies. <_<

Blessings!

Who gets 99% of what they are sold? Here, I get about 20%, and they own the phone lines! (BT)

@toby: if you only get 20% of the bandwith offered, then you should go complain ... you might actualy sue them because they won't give what you've paid for. The available bandwith is also dependant on how far you live from a connection, the further you live, the lower the signal quality and the worse the bandwith is.

increase disk size

How to increase the disk size in windows xp pro...

E.G:

There have two drive in my computer one see: and Other D:

The see size is 5 GB and D: size is 15 GB ,I am want to increase the size of see: drive to 10 Gb from D: drive under the runing windows xp

Thank you

-Asim khan

re to increase disk size

Asim khan you can't increase you harddrive size unless you buy a new one. I think the 5gb is the recovery harddrive, just reformat your harddrive by increasing a clean version of xp.

-none

My Internet connection used to max out at about 50 kB/s sustained download speed.Then at some point I started to notice that it went up to 100 kB/s for the same kinds of downloads (Knoppix releases) without me having to pay more.Then I got a hold of FlashGet, and in some cases I would get speeds of up to 200 kB/s because I would set the number of jets (simultaneous download threads) to 30 (yes, there is a trick to get FlashGet to do 30, whereas the hard-coded maximum is 10).But today I installed a torrent tracker on my PC just for fun, and a friend of mine transferred a 1 GB file to me, just to see how fast it would go. The speed was fluctuating between 400 and 500 kB/s ;)My conclusion so far is that the bandwith you are getting is influenced by many factors, among them:- number of hops.- across the ocean, yes? no?- whether your ISP and the ISP of the host you are transferring data from/to is the same.- client software is single- or multi-threaded download-wise.- throttling of certain types of traffic (torrents) by ISPs.

Edited by dserban (see edit history)

There are more technical factors that influence the bandwith. First of all, the cable between you and the street cabinet can only handle a certain amount of bandwith, the longer the cable, the less the bandwith it can handle (mostly due to attenuation and noise comming from other lines nearby) ... there is no way to get more bandwith out of a cable by using software tweaks. Another factor that influences the available bandwith is the bandwith between the ISP and the street cabinet. If everyone connected to the same street cabinet is downloading big files, then it might happen that the line between the street cabinet and the ISP becomes saturated. Since the bandwith is shared, this means that everybody will receive less bandwith.Of course, the other side (where you are downloading from) is limiting speeds too, even if you have a high speed optic fiber connection, downloading will be slow if the server at the other side is connected to the internet using a 56k modem. Slow hops will of course limit speed too.Returing to the software tweaks, single- or multithreaded applications can only speed up downloads if the connection between you and 'a' server is limited. This is best explained with an example: lets say we have 2 servers (without anyone connected to it) with a 100kbps uplink and you have a 100kbps downlink. Using download accelerators won't speed up anything. However, if you have a 200kpbs downlink, then you can speed up things by combining the uplinks from the two servers. I've already said this very often, but the only way to get faster internet is by upgrading your internetconnection (get a faster connection, get fiber optics, combine ADSL with ISDN using load balancing ...)

Replying to develCuyAccording to you this shouldn't work. But I've used it and seen it working for windows XP for several years. Unless you are using dialup, you should NOT be experiencing slow internet connection speeds. But if you are using cable modem, FIOS, or other broadband services, TCP Optimizer will help fix your slow speed problem if you are running Windows XP or earlier versions of Windows.A HP Mini notebook running Windows XP Home was getting about 3-5 Mbps download on speed tests. My ISP allows for up to 15 Mbps. My other machines running XP Pro, Win2k, and windows 7 gets up to 12 Mbps using wireless. When I first ran the TCP Optimizer program, it was showing my current connection speed at 4 Mbps. After setting the slider to 21 Mbps, hitting the "optimize" button, hitting the "apply" button, and then reboot, I'm getting up to 12 Mbps download speeds on the HP Mini.The problem in this case WAS definitely the Windows XP Home settings and NOT my ISP. Even if I were to upgrade my speed and pay more for internet service, this would NOT have resolved the problem with that notebook/laptop. Before you give out opinions or advice, you should try it yourself otherwise, you make yourself out to be a blind, ignorant, and opinionated fool.