xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MediYama

Having Trouble Deleting .pureftpd-upload... disconnects and some incomplete files cant be deleted

I tried to upload a forum to my FTP this morning, but I got disconnected while uploading. About six hours later, I deleted the folder but there are a few files left with the extension .pureftpd-upload.4688c49a.15.70ae.9a553580 , except different numbers every time. I can't delete those if I try. How come? And how will I be able to delete them anyways? I can't rename them.

If I remember correctly since this has happened to me a few times, when you start a new upload of the same files that error file disappears automatically as you upload or when you finishing uploading. I use smartFTP and it always hang when trying to move a large group of files to be uploaded and I always got that file, but like buff mention just delete it through file manager or through your FTP client and you are set.

Do you come upon these .Pureftpd-upload files often while uploadingFiles? The files, that for example, show asPureftpd-upload.43fbc128.15.3fa0.Ff38da9f, are set to a permission thatYou can not overwrite in FTP. Neither can you delete the file nor theFolder it is in. Usually, these .Pureftpd-upload files are onlyTemporary and will disappear after a while.

But if you want to remove them, there are several way to do this.The simplest way that many users miss is simply removing the file inYour cpanel.

Here’s how. Go to Cpanel. Then click on File Manager. Browse through the folders where your .Pureftpd-upload files are located and click delete.

And your done. That was easy huh?

-reply by Vishal

This is a really old thread, but I suppose someone might find it useful. So here are my two cents...Whenever I try to delete those residual ".pureftpd-upload" files using either with my FTP Client itself (which is FileZilla) or with the "new" File Manager in cPanel, nothing happens! They occasionally tell me the files are deleted, but when I refresh the display or log back in later, I find the files intact and still as annoying as ever.The only method that worked for me is to use the OLD File Manager in cPanel. For some reason, it doesn't take no for an answer when it comes to deleting. It simply does it, no ifs and no buts.

entheone, are you talking about deleteing that perftpd logs ? I mean are those log files or not. I thought of them as log files and ignored them. I never had any idea about what they're. I'll wait for someone to explain about them.

I'm not quite sure, starscream.Most of the time, these files are "zero-byte" files and they contain no data (at least, none that I could see). They're some sort of residue that is left behind after a failed or an incomplete upload.In the same vein, Pure-FTPd per se is simply a free BSD FTP server. That explains the file(s) naming convention. I suspect that the reason these files are difficult to delete is because they include too many "dots" in them. I can't be sure about this, though, since it's been years since I last used a Linux or a BSD, and I can't remember how many dots Unix-systems allow in file names.So, to answer your question, I don't think these are log files, for the simple reason that they don't seem to contain any log data. However, I might be wrong.

Edited by Entheone (see edit history)

thanks for the reply entheone. i'll search a bit to find out what types of files they're. Maybe asking on unix discussion forums on internet will help. let me try to ask on those sites.thanks for clarification on your end.