xisto Community
iGuest

Colour-coded Html Editors What do you use?

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a new HTML colour-coded editor. The one I use at the moment is called Vim, and it's mainly text-based, which can get annoying sometimes, so I need a different one. What I need is a simple editor, that will color-code PHP, HTML and JavaScript. It has to recognise functions/tags, e.g, color-code "<br>" bot not "<afds>." And it needs to be small. I'd prefer not to use One built-in to a WYSIWYG editor, Because those programs take a while to load. I need something quick that i can just right-click -> Open with and will pop up immediately, because with some of the larger WYSIWYG programs, once you've got past the splash screen, and the tip-of-the-day, it's usually been at least 20 seconds. What do you use? Any suggestions?

I just use Notepad.I just do parts in smaller bits, it makes it easier, then you just copy and paste it in to the right part of the code. Colour coding doesnt bother me. The only thing in my site that annoys me is that there is about 10 tables on one page which can be frustrating getting everything in the right spot, so I use include files for that kind of stuff.Anyway, my advice is do thing in separate bits and just copy and past them in with the rest!

Edited by Sten (see edit history)

I don't think that notepad is any useful, Notepad2 or Notepad++ is the better way to go.. Anyway I am using PHP Designer 2007 and I find it very convenient, it is mainly for PHP, but you can easily do HTML things and with time I think you'll move from only using HTML to something like PHP, Ruby, ASP for your websites and etc. <_<

I use EditPlus and this software supports all the requirements you need, also i use Notepad too but only when i know that i will make little changes to my code.

Another free good editors that you can use are HTML-Kit and HAPEdit.

Best regards,

Hey guys, thanks for the editors.I had a look at some of them, and I think I'll use EditPlus. It has all the color-coding i need, and I especially like the sort of tab-system.I just looked at the homepage, and it turns out you have to pay. Didnt see that <_<.I think I'll try out HAPEdit. It also has tabs, and seems to have the right colour-coding I need!

I use EditPlus and this software supports all the requirements you need, also i use Notepad too but only when i know that i will make little changes to my code.
Another free good editors that you can use are HTML-Kit and HAPEdit.

I use HTML-Kit too, it's feature are like Homesite, you can add html,div, or style tag's with just click, has a lot of plugins, and it's freeware.

I start use it 2 month a go and i like it.

Haven't try the HAPEdit yet, but looking at the screen shot i think HTML Ki has a lot more tool's than HAPEdit.
CMIIW.

HTML-Kit is ok but I prefer using Notepad++, and it does exactly what you want, highlight valid HTML tags but not invalid tags (well invalid tags are distinctly different depending on the theme). It doesn't work with HTML5 yet though.

Highlighting HTML is quite easy, if it's a valid tag or not, but I really like intelligent code highlighters. :) For example, usually people have a file in which you can see html and css and javascript and php, so for example PHP Designer 7 and some more editors, can highlight those all in one without problems and on errors may even highlight differently, in this way it's quite easy to fix errors. :DYou also can set to dim different code, while writing php code in a file, the html part is dimmed, it's really very comfortable, especially if it's a bigger file or a plugin/module file for something, a cms or a blog. :P