xisto Community
fsastraps

The Future Of Computers, What Do You Think?

Well, what do you guys think the future of computers will become?Will computers manage many of the things that humans do nowadays?I think a good example is the movie iRobot. I mean is our world going to become like that, if yes, well when do you think this will happen?Do you think we will be able at some point to travel as fast as the speed of light going from galaxy to galaxy?? I think we will, and i hope i am alive for when this happens. I wonder if one day we will be able to live in a nother planet.Who knows, but say what you think.

well i don't know if everyting is actually gonna happen like in the movie robot but alot of thigs are controled my computers now and im sure more will soon. people have to relize that if they create something and they make one mistake the whole world could end. im also interested to knwo if they are gonna make something to be able to travel to toher planets or live there. they're already working on mars s.. im not a scientist but i love exploring stuff :). ims ure they will be able to make omethig to travel faster ot other planets but im not sure about living there. remember, Humans rule Earth.. not technology..i also think that maybe US and Japan wil be the first to come up with somethig big cuz these are like the only two cities that use alot of technology.

There's a little saying that goes around that 1 year is equivalent to 100 computer years. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future computers will be able to do far complex things that we could only imagine today, BUT I believe they will still have many limitations. That's the interesting thing about living, breathing, organic beings, because what mechanical things lack, we gain or have gained... I don't even know where to begin to explain what I'm trying to say here, but just take my word for it. Unfortunately, in this state right now, I think computers will be upgraded to the max not to help the lives of human beings, but to see which one is the most destructive of all. Needless to say, the reason behind all this is because of war. The neat little features that we take for granted due to technological advances are sometimes byproducts of engineers, technicians, computer scientists all trying to find ways to update the nation's defense systems.So this is all to say that I am hopeful that we manage to see advanced computers (and maybe even be able to live on another planet) but the probability of a happy-go-lucky future is kind of low in my opinion, unless we stop with this war crap and actually start focusing on things that actually make sense and are more meaningful.

This is about new computers, but not about robots!!

I have read in a magzine that ther is going to be a 6.4Ghz Computer coming out in Late 2006. Intel is working on it at the moment!!

From

.::DAMAN::.

I mean is our world going to become like that, if yes, well when do you think this will happen?

Do you think we will be able at some point to travel as fast as the speed of light going from galaxy to galaxy??

It'll happen.... trust me B) But it'll be not so sunny and beautiful....

I think we will, and i hope i am alive for when this happens.  I wonder if one day we will be able to live in a nother planet.

Who knows, but say what you think.

65309[/snapback]

I'm only 20.... but i'm already think that i'll not be alive when it happens :)

Our science going fast but not so good as we want... :)

IRobots not exactly the best example is it? but If it does end up like that< which im sure it will then I'm all for that as long as some type of controlls are put on so humans can override them incase they do you all IRobot on us.Just in case thats not clear ( alot of what I say is not ) then yes I do think that ( to quote Vice City, and I know its an old game) 'In the future there will be robots'.

Many people have tried to predict the future of computers, rarely have these predictions come true. The technology is growing too fast to predict accurately. I remember seeing a photo from the late 70's of what a magazine (I think it was Scientific American) believed a home computer would look like in the year 2000, it was rediculously funny. The thing was a monsterous contraption with a teletype interface, a crazy looking magnified TV Screen, a big steering wheel (couldn't quite figure out what that was for) and a bunch of other crazy attachments, the whole thing took up the entire room.You want to figure out what the next greatest thing is in the Computer industry, check out the entertainment industry (I mean games not movies). The gaming industry has always been the driving force of computers, where ever it goes the Computer industry has to catch up as fast as possible. Games have always been the biggest user of computer resources and thus they are always the ones that force the manufacturers to build faster computers. Don't believe me take a look at the system requirements on pretty much any popular game, compare them to the system requirements of Microsoft Office or any other business tool. Computers are already controlling a rediculous amount of our lives, some aspects are clearly self evident (ie. bank debit cards), others not so evident, (ie. Electronic card key's at a work place keeping track of your movements throughout the building). Some choose to see conspiracy potential in these devices, see it how you like, data is being gathered on all of us at an alarming rate, but the truth is the data cannot be gathered and sorted on any one person with any useful speed, so until the tech catches up to this fact there is no real threat of conspiracies. Technophobic conspiracy theorists always amuse me, they go on about how much data is being gathered about us without realizing that this very fact is what keeps the data from being useful to "Big Brother".Now that I have gotten off track, I will get a more exact answer to the question. Yes I think tech will continue to take over tasks that were previously human manned. I don't think this will be a bad thing, but I think it has potential. For instance with Boomers retiring there will be a worker shortage, some of this will be filled in by tech, the problem is what if there is another baby boom, when that generation grows up employment rates will plummet, but in the end I think this will sort itself out as more employment sectors are created by as of yet unimagined tech. It is an interesting time to be alive, makes the industrial revolution look positively boring in comparison.

Not like matrix but computers will be much compact you can see some hologram style communication in years.i think as far as processors we are at the end of our technology .thre will be no pentium 5 there,yiou have to wait for few years anyway .future there will loads thing that will be controlled by machines and study of artificial intelligence will be more improved.electronics and mechanical engineer s ahve bright future not sure about computers but future will be more bright and sad too.

<<SNIP>>

i think as far as processors we are at the end of our technology .thre will be no pentium 5 there,yiou have to wait for few years anyway .

<<SNIP>>

65972[/snapback]

The end of our technology? I doubt that very much. So many people have predicted the end of our technology.

Here's an amusing quote to remind you of humanity's ability to push the envelope:

"Inventions reached their limit long ago, and I see no hope for further development"

- Julius Frontinus in the first century A. D.

Processors aren't anywhere near the end of there technological limits. For those of you around in the good old days I will bring up the 640K Memory celing. When DOS was being developled it was believed that no one would ever need more than 640K memory so it was never written in the code to handle more than 640K. It took alot of reworking before this was overcome. If you had told me in the mid 90's I'd be working on a PC with nearly a Gig RAM and over a 40 GIG hard dive I would never have believed you. 1 Gig was a astronomical number for a hard drive, let alone imagining ram that reached up thier.

Never count the Geeks over an Intel out, and even if Intel folded tomorrow (we all know the likely hood of that happening) someone else would outpace there previous fastest processors in no time. The only reason processor speed has not increased dramatically in the last little while is because the gaming industry is falling behind for the first time in the history of the industry. Give them time, and you will see rapid growth again.

There is absolutely no reason to think that there is any limit at all to how fast a processor can process.

As for your holographic communication, well it could be done, and really not that difficult, but the cost right now is too much. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in my lifetime though.

Well, what do you guys think the future of computers will become?

Will computers manage many of the things that humans do nowadays?

I think a good example is the movie iRobot.  I mean is our world going to become like that, if yes, well when do you think this will happen?

Do you think we will be able at some point to travel as fast as the speed of light going from galaxy to galaxy??  I think we will, and i hope i am alive for when this happens.  I wonder if one day we will be able to live in a nother planet.

65309[/snapback]

Some following views are relative to United States' labor laws.

With growing trend of embracing technologies to make our lives easier, you would also find the huge gap between the people who know how to utilize and people are left behind. This gap has been wider than compare to 80s and 90s. By this assumption we will see that if the growth of technology does not slow down to have people catch up to it, you will have the next great big war. By war I mean the separation of people who uses and people who denies it.

To keep it simple I have three examples to share: You have your cellular phone that can deliver your daily messages. You have your PDA and such to download the great works of Shakespeare. You can send your documents over the internet, paperless, eliminating the usage of fax or regular mail. So, why do we still have newspapers, fax machines and post offices? Simple--the majority of people (people who are not embracing technology but people who are in the labor force) would not give into the whole idea of total automation. If everything were to go automation stage what happens to people who had that job? If your phone can deliver your news, what happens to hundreds and thousands of working printing press factories? If your PDA can hold 100 years of literature, what good is it to keep your library open? Sending email and attaching documents if faster than waiting 3-5 days of mail delivery, why would the government keep funding post offices to be open? The answer is Union Labor forces. You see, in United States no Union Organization would allow the replacement of human labor over automated assembly line over night. Automation can benefit factory workers to aid to work better, more effectively. But replacement of human is not an option. Total automation will put millions of workers unemployed and with the current state of government debt this government cannot help all those unemployment compensations. It will be the biggest market crash since the Great Depression.

And there is the nostalgic factor. Can you see yourself flipping though your PDA on one Sunday afternoon while having your brunch? Theres something about keeping the old tradition of folding and refolding until you get to your favorite section of the newspaper. Or, you doing the cross word puzzle with your sharply cut pencil or that new pen. And that nostalgic factor would make most of us inflexible to a complete change. Theres going to be people who still rely on keeping books the old fashioned way. Or that business man having his arm closed to hold a newspaper tightly against his body. And theres always going to be a card shop for that get well soon, Happy Birthday or Congratulation occasion because e-card just is impersonal.

Only few percent of the population will let computer simulate into their lives. The rest will have to learn to accept and it will cause them stress immensely.

Computers will end up controlling alot of every day things. The Intergration of lots of computerised devices into a local network will be the interesting thing. i.e being able to turn ya oven on at 6, while running a bath and turning on t.v all from your laptop, or even from work or car or something. Lights which turn on and off automaticlly if u r in the room or not would be really energy efficient aswell. Computers will keep getting more powerful. . hit a border for a little while. . . then power on past it, then hit another border etc etcI guess heat will eventually be a major problem for super powerful processors, so new really efficient cooling wud have to be standard etcmmmmmmmmmm quite interesting really . . . . .But to me the most intersting thing which could happen with computers. . . . is networked household devices and appliances.

Complexity of software and harware will increase exponentially as it always has. Internet will be expanded to control household devices and general concern will tend towards ease of use rather than speed or storage. Thats my shot. :(

Well, what do you guys think the future of computers will become?

Will computers manage many of the things that humans do nowadays?

I think a good example is the movie iRobot.  I mean is our world going to become like that, if yes, well when do you think this will happen?

Do you think we will be able at some point to travel as fast as the speed of light going from galaxy to galaxy??  I think we will, and i hope i am alive for when this happens.  I wonder if one day we will be able to live in a nother planet.

65309[/snapback]

Well, I think the future will look more hi-tech that what we have right now, who knows, somedays, everthings here in this world controlled by computers or even replaced by the crazy things made by you/us coz they don't stop doing crazy things.

Robots are already exists, and if they can make a movie like iRobot that replaced the human, they can do it in real life, and if the time has come and Robots is everywhere, I will only pray for one thine..."HOPE THE CREATOR PROGRAM THE ROBOTS PROPERLY OR ELSE FATE WILL COME NEXT."

Hmmmm the future of computers is certainly a biggie....My view at the moment is that if you can dream it its probably going to happen. The only question to ask is when it is going to happen. We are already building computers that can in their own fashion 'learn' from their input wether that be through voice or other forms of interface. Granted that this is only a form of response and prediction and in the scheme of things has still got a huge amount to be developed but its there. We already have the capability while not approaching the capacity of the human brain to build computers with awesome processing power which the boandaries are being constantly pushed back.I think there will be a certain stage in the development where we will reach a stalling point where advances past that point will be very difficult but those will eventually be solved as we march on in our inevitable progress.The question that will be raised at some point will be the need to develop computers further. While I am sure advances will be made and hailed to be revolutionary there will come a point where we will not need bigger and more powerful processors. There is already processors that can run at something approaching 800ghz, while the processor burns out from overheating in a fraction of a second it is still a step in the right direction...The march will go on...we just don't know where its going to end up