xisto Community

Aye, i've seen this one. And i must comment on the fact that this thing is really really great for begginers. Something old now, but seriously, i've seen numerous people using it! B)

It's pretty old now. This has been out for what..years? Anyway, I haven't seen many people using it...I see a lot more people using blogspot whenever they want to set up their presence on the web. It's good, but I also heard that it uses your email username as your subdomain name. Which may or may not suit you, as you might not enjoy broadcasting your email out to the world.And there has also been mentionings of possible spam--spambots could just collect all google pages urls and fill them with @gmail.com and get a whole ton of email addresses. No one has tested that though.

I find that using plain old XHTML and CSS can do wonders as you develop pages. Throw in some JavaScript to create special effects. As you move into better hosting (servers), you can start doing server-side scripting and databases, such as PHP, ASP, (My)SQL, ADO, etc. There is so much you can do with plain old coding. I believe that WYSIWYG editors are unnecessary. HTML coding programs are extremely useful because they can help you code.

I don't recommend this because published pages may be invalid (X)HTML.

HTML in my opinion is VERY useful to start out with web development and some designing. I recommend you know all or even the basics of HTML before going onto PHP and etc. I'm getting into PHP and HTML and Java and all but it takes so much time don't you think? Really hard if you don't have much patience ( me hehe ). Anyone know anywhere else legit enough to have free website hosting? I've heard from a friend this is a great place to do it.. And I probably am going to try to get one here hopefully.

Well, if you are complete newbie, then WYSIWYG is always the good thing to start out with. I did that too myself. Although, now I more into PHP and server side... so, i would recommend it for the complete newbies <_<

Google projects! I like them for their simplicity.It seems a fast and easy to work WYSIWYG editor. Not only fast and easy to make the site with, but to get started. Enter google password and ready to go, instead of *shudder* lycos with a horrible interface to get working.Going to try it out some more later, I really like the concept for WYSIWYG.I don't see why people look down on WYSIWYG in general. For sites for intermediary or advanced users you definitely achieve better results with normal editing and use of Cascading Style Sheets - but for something quick that has to be simple it is definitely recommended for those that don't want to spend too much time learning. They usually get better results from WYSIWYG anyways.

well i agree with the WYSIWYG editor. and yah it's really a great help for beginners. i think this is also good for those making static webpages and for displaying purposes and informative ones. And yah if you're going to make a dynamic page, it's best to find something more advance. but really it's good for newbies.

Like everybody has said already, google webpages are pretty old now. I used it for about week, but I didn't really like it because you can't use things like FTP. Also I'm not really into the WYSIWYG type website builders, I like to customize it my self by hand. It's really great for beginners like people who use freewebs.

I tried this once, and liked it. But eventually went to a phpbb forum. They do, however make a great starting point for the average beginner. I personally think it was just a way to get more people on Google, than Yahoo! or MSN.

What I hate on this server, is that you can easily upload a .jpg picture and insert it on your site ; but once your picture is uploade, you cannot remove it from the server any more. So, if you change your mind and don't want to make this image public, it's too late, no way to remove it. :P

What I hate on this server, is that you can easily upload a .jpg picture and insert it on your site ; but once your picture is uploade, you cannot remove it from the server any more. So, if you change your mind and don't want to make this image public, it's too late, no way to remove it. :P

Yea, I don't like that at all. You would think they would make it a bit easier on people.

Is it old news? I never even knew about it until reading this lol.Either that or I forgot about it, it sounds interesting, so I should be able to like tie this to my gmail account and stuff.

Features

The features of Google Page Creator include:

* 100 Megabytes of file storage
* 41 web templates, which can be applied to individual pages
* 4 page layouts
* Limited HTML, CSS and JavaScript editing
* Autosave - edits are automatically saved at regular intervals
* Unique sub-domain for each user's site, such as http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
* No advertisements of any kind

Storage space

Although Google Page Creator offers 100 megabytes of storage, the bandwidth limit is unknown, but there is currently a limit of 500+ files.

Files that are hosted can be linked to from any other site. Storage in Page Creator can also be utilised to upload pages to your account, without using the Web interface to create the page. [1] or [GPC4VN][2]

Experimental features

Since Google Page Creator's release, Google has added many "experimental features", such as (but not limited to) the ability to add widgets, cropping of images, or resizing of images to any size the user wants (not the preset "small", "medium", "large", and "Original Size" sizes).

Multiple sites

Recently a new feature was added to the Google page creator that allows you to create four additional sites with your choice of name e.g. https://sites.google.com/site/nameofyourchoice/.

As of yet there has been no mention of when Page Creator will come out of the beta development stage. In the beginning, they were only allowing one site per google account, but this limitation was lifted in Autumn 2006. Google Page Creator offers its users to create four additional sites, including the original site under the account name.

Criticisms

Perhaps to address this vulnerability to spammers, Google allows the user to 'Create another site', which would be a new address within the googlepages.com domain. To avoid spammers, one can create a new site and hide the default site, which contains one's email address.

Lacking the ability to link to external CSS means in-page CSS has to be utilized, and such style code cannot change the basic structure of the templates. Some critics have claimed that the templates and limited customization will lead to similar problems (such as large numbers of sites with uninteresting, 'identikit' designs) as were experienced by the GeoCities service in the late 1990s.[3] An earlier criticism that Google's own Adsense program and similar services are not available in the Page Creator and needed a 'hack' to work has been addressed by the ability to include JavaScript in Page Creator.

Trivia

* Soon after Google launched Google Page Creator, it was swamped with millions of users. This caused them to temporarily block new users from using their new web application due to the server overload.
* The project's codename was "Trogdor."