xisto Community
jimmy89

Purchasing A Graphics Tablet

Hi all,I am currently in the market for a graphics tablet. And, i am looking for your help! Suggestions would be great, but also what should I be looking for (i.e what 'features' are better). What size graphics tablet should I get also? And of cause, how much would i be looking at for one of these!Thanks-jimmy

I have a Wacom Intuos 3, 9x12 graphics tablet and I've got to say that I've been really satistfied with it. I mainly use the tablet for drawing in photoshop as a hobby, because I had previously been using a mouse and it was just too time consuming and frustrating. It took me a while to get used to using a tablet, because it feels very different than drawing on paper or anything of that sort. It's also a bit weird at first getting used to drawing on the tablet and focusing on the screen. Anyways, the tablet was really easy to install and now all I have to do is plug it in and have at it. It's got a USB hookup which is nice and convenient, and it came with a digital drawing pen and replacement tips, as well as a mouse. I haven't had any issues or problems with it since I got it about....a year ago I believe, and it's really been helpful to use.The 9x12 tablet has really been the perfect size for me to use, just because it allows for a lot of freedom and movement along the drawing surface, and I don't feel constricted or restrained by the space. Smaller sizes though would probably work just as well though, as you'd get used to using the space efficiently. Also, the smaller ones are less expensive! Wacom tablets are kind of expensive, and I'd imagine you're going to be paying around $300-$400 depending on which size you get. I'm sure there are also many other brands of tablets out there though that might be less expensive than that. I've only just had a Wacom, and I've found it to be a great investment and definitely something I don't regret buying. As with everything though, how much money you decide to spend will directly relate to how much you think you'll use and get out of the tablet, and ...of course...how much you actually have available to spend! : ) Hopefully though, someone will come along who is more knowledgable of graphics tablets, and they can give you a full rundown of suggestions and prices of various models.

I don't use a tablet, but all the guys who do seem to like the Wocom tablets. I've not really heard any major complaints and they work on most OS's (so long as they work on Mac I don't really care.)

Just what unimatrix said. I've used PC tablets several times, but never owned one. However, everyone is always fascinated with Wacom tables, so they can't be bad. Unfortunately, they are a bit (too) expensive, but a tablet is not a thing you should save on. It has to be precise and easily used, otherwise there is no point in owning one, is there?

I have used them many times in art school and at work and I think the main issue is size. Just don't get the really small ones because they are very cumbersome to work with.Get one that is more rectangular than square.

check out the viscomPurchasing A Graphics Tablet

I've owned, but returned the intuous 4 medium tablet because IMO for the price 8 shortcut keys is just not enough to speed up workflow (as you'll want to program a button to undue, to open a new layer, change brushes, bring up swatches, save, shortcuts for, scaling, rotating, etc...)  The more shortcuts you can program is, in essence, the more the graphics pad is truely speeding up your workflow, with wacom's 8 keys, which are too close together IMO, I found myself too often needing to reach for my keyboard.  Viscoms standard pad has the same sensitivity (1024 levels I believe), measures 12"x6" of active space and has 29 programable keys.  IMO 29 vs. 8 is a no brainer, as in photoshop alone only having 8 is a handicap.  If you're a student the Viscom tablet is only $100.  It doensn't come with the software packages that wacom comes with, but really the software wacom comes with is either cheap and outdated or limited as far as the Nik plug in goes.  Most places will sell you painter 11 for $49 with the purchase of a Viscom...At least Journey Ed does...Hope this helps.

-reply by darksatar