xisto Community
ethergeek

Oracle 10g Install Issues

Listner can

My lister worked fine before I install other software. Now getting this error message

Ora-12541:TNS:no listner

-barbarar

how many systems was connect in oracle 10g on windows 2003 server

How many systems was connect in oracle 10g on windows 2003 server

I have 20 systems of 10 systems was log into oracle, if you log 11th system the server was shut downing

-reply by Vijay Pal

Oracle 10g Install IssuesHow many systems was connect in oracle 10g on windows 2003 server
I have 20 systems of 10 systems was log into oracle, if you log 11th system the server was shut downing
-reply by Vijay Pal

This is not an Oracle issue.
In this case, Oracle gives an error message like "connexion refused".
In your case, it's a Windows 2003 systemwide problem, probably not enough memory, or out of disk space for windows virtual memory.
So, you should have a look at the Windows system logs, especially concerning the services.

I heard only 5 people can access the database at a time is that information is correct ?-swapna

this is false. the number of allowed users is defined by your licence. If you paid for a 200 users licence, 200 users can connect.
Of course, you should not change the "processes" value in the init.ora file if you did not paid the corresponding licence, this would not be honest.

[My lister worked fine before I install other software. Now getting this error messageOra-12541:TNS:no listner
-barbarar

this message is self-explanatory : the listener is not running.
If it was working previously, go to your server system and have a look at the services (Start, control pannel, system, services), and check that the service is defined to auto-start.
You can also check that in a command line window. On the server, open a "cmd" window, and type :
"lsnrctl status"
(without the quotes). i'm pretty sure the answer will be an error message, saying that the listener is not running.
Then, simply type
"lsnrctl start"
you will see the listener starting.
then, type again
"lsnrctl status"
And you will see things like "service blablah has two handlers", which means that your database remote access services are handled by this listener.
Hope this helped.
Yordan

PassWords

I have set up a 10g database and don't seem to be able to limit the logins. Case and Point any one can login through PL/SQL Plus using any combination of login ID or Passwords. All security seems to be lost. Anyone got any ideas?

-question by ed the lost

OK, glad to see that there are no more 10g install issues, and everything is working fine now.So, we learned something from your adventure : we have to be system admin when starting and Oracle install on a Windows system.
Which is not fully the case when installint on a Linux or on a Unix or AIX box. On a Unix box, you prepare the install as system admin (rootpre.sh has to be fired by the "root" user), then you perform the whole installation as a standard user, and only at the end you have to become the system admin "root" user in order to fire the last install scripts name "root.sh".
Now, we are happy for you, enjoy your Oracle on Windows install.
Yordan :)

Go back and do the instalation slowly and make sure you fill in al the spaces because you may have missed something out

PassWords

I have set up a 10g database and don't seem to be able to limit the logins. Case and Point any one can login through PL/SQL Plus using any combination of login ID or Passwords. All security seems to be lost. Anyone got any ideas?

-question by ed the lost

Not sure I understant. system/manager can login, sys/sys can login, scott/tiger can login, this is the normal case.

or do you mean that you type any username and any password (like whoknows/nobody or jeopardy/nothing) and it works ?

Creating Admin Account

I have installed the software using the 2 disk set that came with the book. I however am at no time prompted to set up an admin account so that I can enter SQL plus to start scripting to create databases and tables etc. All applications in the development suite require a login to begin so what do I use initially before setting up any accounts?

-question by Masterson

I'm not terribly familiar with Oracle, however:Typically, Database systems have two methods for authentication. Usually when you set up a database you can connect via SQL Authentication (at least in the case of MS SSMS) which means that you have created a database with unique authentication rights. Usually this would be done when setting up a New Database....As a side note, make sure you have created a database that you are trying to connect to.The second method of authentication, and I believe Oracle supports this, no idea why it wouldn't, is Windows Authentication, which is usually automated, however you might need to provide this information, which would be the same as the account which you accessed the computer with. If all of this sounds greek to you, You can always try Admin/Pass, Administrator/Password, etc typical default entries..and then as a last resort you could call Oracle support and get your question answered there.Best Regards,The Doc.

I'm not terribly familiar with Oracle, however:If all of this sounds greek to you, You can always try Admin/Pass, Administrator/Password, etc typical default entries..

I see thet your really are not familiar with Oracle passwords: none of these are standard nor popular Oracle passwords.
And, of course, remember that the oracle admin can at any moment change any Oracle password. No need to know the passwords, simply assign the new ones.

I see thet your really are not familiar with Oracle passwords:

-Yordan

That is what i stated, Yes. That was also something I offered as a last option if nothing else worked. The User's question was in regards to the fact that he could not even access administrative options, so he can't change passwords, so, he can't assign new ones, so he does need to know them.

Now, while it seems like he just needs to familiarize himself with the program so that he can change these settings, as I've never heard of software that requires passwords to even use it locally (that weren't set by the user in a prompted screen). But based on his statement:

All applications in the development suite require a login to begin so what do I use initially before setting up any accounts?

I assumed that he had read through the user manual for their possible default passwords (finding none) and was then turning to us for suggestions.

That's what I gave him, a suggestion, a tentative one at that.

On another note:

I'd think that you would find that a lot of software in general uses Admin/Pass (or variations) as default (not standard or popular) password settings, at least I have in my experiences.

Regards,

The Doc.

Edit:

As another option, you might try (directed at FeedBacker) to setup an account even without knowing the passwords, without seeing your screen its hard to tell, but the initial login might create the account you are trying to set up, anyway.

Edited by Doc.h0llyw00d (see edit history)

Answer to development suite problem

Replying to FeedbackerReplying to Feedbacker

Marserson, in regards to your question (as below)

Creating Admin Account

I have installed the software using the 2 disk set that came with the book. I however am at no time prompted to set up an admin account so that I can enter SQL plus to start scripting to create databases and tables etc. All applications in the development suite require a login to begin so what do I use initially before setting up any accounts?

-question by Masterson

I had the same problem (having installed the deveopment suite from the 2 disk set - and spent hours trying to work out what was going on)

Then I realised that the development suite doesn't actually contain the oracle database software (it only contains other tools to work with it), thats why you didn't at any stage get asked to configure the default DB.

WHat you need to do is install oracle database software also (if you go to the oracle site you can download oracle express for free), once this is installed you can then access the database through that software and if you configure the development suite (using the net configuration assistant) you will be able to access all those tools correctly)

I hope this helps

Regards

- The General

-reply by The General

Problems with uninstalling oracle 10g on Vista BusinessOracle 10g Install IssuesI need some help with the above.  I installed the wrong version before and now I can't get it uninstalled from the system for me to install the right version.  I am getting an error saying I don't have permission to do that, and I am the administrator for the machine.

I'm confused.  And now frustrated.

-question by Danielle