xisto Community
dropkicksidekick

Doom Asteroid Of 2036

But did she explain why?
None us can really say yes or no without any reason or explanation as to how either way would or wouldn't work.

She says that it'll take too much money and fuel, and there's a large chance of the nuclear device explode in mid-atmosphere spreading nuclear waste everywhere. It's way too risky, even riskier than launching more shuttles in a short time frame.

xboxrulz

Maybe not practical at this time, but in an emergency situation, they'd figure out how to destroy the asteroid, whether that meant an advanced nuclear weapon, or a really big magnet.

Seriously guys, am I the only one that seemed to read in the original article that the asteroid won't actually hit the earth for at least 1000 years?

" A Maine scientist who uses radar to peer at objects in space says an asteroid that passed by Earth five years ago is due for a return visit to the planetary neighborhood in 2036.

But Chris Magri, an associate professor of physics at the University of Maine at Farmington, says there's no need for panic. By that time, Magri says, scientists may have figured out a way to send the muffin-shaped asteroid, known as KW4, somewhere else.

Magri joined a team of more than a dozen other scientists who calculated that the asteroid will not actually hit the Earth for at least 1,000 years. "

This whole thing seems to be a conspiracy theory to get people all hyped up about something almost insignificant. If we went from only dreaming about flying to going to the moon and back in less then 100 years, (heck, even 70 or so years), we will for sure have the ability to protect ourselves from an asteroid in 1000 years. If not, I think that we deserve what we get for being so stupid ;)

Er... we've been saying "the end is near" for 100s of years now... I Doubt an astroid that people said would hit in 2k will be hitting... Although that's an opinion... but yeah...

Well Killer008r, the article said that the asteroid has just about no chance of hitting our planet for at least 1000 years, not 2000 years. Beyond that, our level of science is not capable of accurately predicting anything like this.

"Plotting the future path of an asteroid is not a simple matter. The technique draws on a half-dozen scientific disciplines, such as electrical engineering, radio science, geology and astronomy."

"But scientists can make predictions only for a period up to about 1,000 years. Beyond that, unpredictable factors such as the gravitational pull from planets make predictions much less accurate, Magri said. "

So, what they have said so far isn't as much of an opinion as it may seem. To the best of their knowledge, using a half-dozen different techniques, we are safe for at least 1000 years ;)

Edited by brcmville (see edit history)

This whole thing seems to be a conspiracy theory to get people all hyped up about something almost insignificant. If we went from only dreaming about flying to going to the moon and back in less then 100 years, (heck, even 70 or so years), we will for sure have the ability to protect ourselves from an asteroid in 1000 years. If not, I think that we deserve what we get for being so stupid :ph34r:

On the other hand, few here really understand the situation. An actual impact would be no laughing matter. It is rather surprising just how little it would take to turn the earth into a glowing cinder let alone snuff out all life on the planet (I have done the impact simulations myself). It is just that the likelihood of us being able do anything about is rather small. It was Armageddon that was silly not Deep Impact. However, the threat of destoying ourselves is not only far greater but also much more within our capabilities of doing something to stop it. All this assumes, that we even take any of these threats seriously enough to do anything about any of them. Edited by mitchellmckain (see edit history)

I think it will hit Earth, but by the time that happens, the following will have already occurred.

Based on that we have 1,000,000,000,000 (1 trillion) people alive all over the world. (This may not be true, I'm just using a number to show an example.)

*Nuclear War will occur (maybe with South Korea or Al Qaeda)

- That leaves only 1,000,000,000 (1 billion people alive on Earth)

*Global Warming will happen

- That only leaves 1,000,000 (1 million people alive on Earth)

*The moon will get so far away, it will have no effect on the Earth's water: (Super Storms, Mega Tsunami's, Hurricanes over Michigan)

- That only leaves 100,000 (One-hundred thousand people alive on Earth)

*Doom Asteroid

- That only leaves 100 people alive on Earth

*1 week after asteroid

- All life on Earth is gone

Edited by jeremycollins (see edit history)

In my opinion ,an asteroid impact will occur next decade, likely one we did not see in a grouping of "binary" asteroids,or just missed as insufficient resources are provided to those watching. We may even see the moon hit first and see one miss us while another hits. My point is we really cannot do anything about them and would not be told by the government if one was coming. I have reason for concern and hope to provoke same. The details I mention are in an documented/witnessed prediction pertaining to a likely impact between 2010 and 2018

We Could Have Time To Do Some Creations..

Doom Asteroid Of 2036

Well. Here's my story. Were in the year 2008 right now. So we have about 28 years. We should have something to be good to delete or keep the Meteor off it's orbit and miss us completely! Like on the history channel. I quote. "We were smart enough to create the Internet. We were smart enough to goto the Moon! So we should be smart enough to delete a little Meteor that is going to hit us in the year 2036.

---And by the way, I'm only 13. :)

-reply by Bloodstock

Well,if the asteroid lands on earth,is the end of the wold...for sure no1 might survive it. The armageddon is here.

Chances are they calculated the orbit of the Earth wrong, and it won't even end up hitting. An if it does, considering how much of the Earth is water, I'd say it would hit somewhere in one of the oceans. However, if it did hit an ocean - even smack dab in the middle of the Pacific, the results would be catastrophic. Imagine Tsunamis lasting for weeks, which reached hundreds of kilometers inland. I believe it truly would destroy much of the Earth, not to mention the flooding of much the area that tsunamis didn't reach.

Not the Happiest of DaysDoom Asteroid Of 2036I'm not scientist but over the course of a many years the meteor has been pulled closer to Earth and now orbits us with an unsteady path which many astrologists predict will eventually hit earth with an incredible force. I'm not sure myself that this is true. If it is, then it may be a miscalculated asteroid and not even hit Earth. In 2029 the meteor is predicted to pass in between the moon and Earth and in 2036 is said to hit Earth.The splashdown would be horrific. It would truly annialate all life on Earth besides some marine life. Even practically every bacteria would die out. If it would splashdown in an ocean it would be just as bad as hitting land. It would throw off our climate, create giant waves, and shift Earth's plates and land features dramatically.But please don't waste your time worrying about it, instead make your life better in the time you do have. And anyways, who knows if it actually will Earth, or if it's not even true. (Hopefully it's not though).-reply by Ryan Peterson