xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dhanesh1405241511

Programming In Vb .net, Vista Compatible ?

I am at the start of my end year project, and i have decided that my front end would be in VB .NET 2003/2005 (havent decided the versions yet). Couldent really decide on the versions because i still havent worked on 2005 so i wouldent know. But if anyone can point out the positive and negative points, it could save me some search energy ;)Anyways, back to topic. I was wondering if the application i make in VB .NET would be compatible with Windows Vista ? The reason i am asking this is because if normal programming would make my program compatible with Vista then i can add it in my synopsis or project overview. Just kinda adds up to a level of sucking up ;) but if i can some how manage to get my current s/w working in Windows XP AND Vista, then i guess i get a point for compatibility and that would help a lot in the grading.If it would however not be compatible with Vista by default programming, then what exactly do i need to do ? Is there an add-on that is used in VB .NET 2005/2003, or are there specific lines of code i need to add ?RegardsDhanesh.

If you want to develop applications that are compatible with Windows Vista and Windows XP, you've got 2 Options.

The First one is to get the Software Development Kit for Windows Vistaâ˘,

The SDk for Windows Vista includes the .NET 3 Framework and the various api's needed. You also get a few samples with this download. Get and read more about this here

The Second solution is to get Visual Studio Orcas, this is the next version of Visual Studio after VS 2005. Currently Visual Studio Orcas is in beta testing. This software has native support for Windows Vista interface and is also compatible with Windows XP. Get and read more about this here

The Softwares created with both the solutions will support Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista.

Thankx dude, and nice blog ;) Checked the links out but the thing that troubles me is this: \"This SDK is designed for use with Windows Vista (which includes Framework 3.0)\" . Well my development platform is Windows XP so would i have any problems using orcas on my windows XP machine.

Secondly, i have to mention that i have to start my project in the next week and submission is due mid May 2007. So with the CTP of orcas i dont really know if it would be fully out by this time. So i guess i would go with the SDK. How does it work ? I mean all the sites provide technical documents and explaination on this topic, but all i wanted to know that is this an Add-on, that i just double click > install and run VB .net 2005, assuming that the new project i started will be compatible with fully compatible with Vista. I wouldent have to do anything extra or are there some lines i have to add or some settings i have to check before starting the project so that i wont have to look back on the compatibility issue, and be shure that what i do from there on will be fully compatible.

Regards

Dhanesh.

EDIT: I am confused on which version of orca should i download >>THIS<< or >>THIS<< , one is installable bits and the other one is normal. whats the difference ?

Edited by dhanesh (see edit history)

I just downloaded the Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit for Windows Vista and .NET Framework 3.0 Runtime Components package and these are the details of it:

File Name: 6.0.6000.0.0.WindowsSDK_Vista_rtm.DVD.Rel.img

Version: 6.0

Date Published: 11/4/2006

Download Size: 1187.5 MB

Hope this is the latest version of the SDK available. Please link me to a more recent version if one exists.

I am also currently downloading ORCAS, but it is this version:

Microsoft Pre-release Software Visual Studio Code Name "Orcas" - January Community Technology Preview (CTP) (Installable Bits)

Version: 1.0

Date Published: 1/19/2007

Language: English

Download Size: 133.0 MB - 4333.0 MB

Is this the right one again ? Because in my earlier post i gave up 2 links:

EDIT: I am confused on which version of orca should i download >>THIS<< or >>THIS<< , one is installable bits and the other one is normal. whats the difference ?

So just making shure i have the right version, please confirm this too.

Thanks for your time and sorry for being so desperate for an answer. Its just that i have to start working on the project asap ;)

Regards

Dhanesh.

Edited by dhanesh (see edit history)

Both the files you've downloaded are the latest files available for download.

Microsoft Pre-release Software Visual Studio Code Name "Orcas" - January Community Technology Preview (CTP) (Installable Bits)
Version: 1.0
Date Published: 1/19/2007
Language: English
Download Size: 133.0 MB - 4333.0 MB

This is a installable version, whereas the other is an Virtual PC image. You can use the image version by just loading the downloaded image file using the Virual PC 2004, you can get it here or the Virtual PC 2007, you can get it here.

The best feature of the Virtual PC image is that it requires no installation. So you can test it without harming your system files.

If you need help for programming using the .NET 3.0 visit the Microsoft .NET 3 Official user community forum to get help there,

Thanks for your prompt reply livingston. I am downloading the versions as we speak but my inquisitiveness is on why are there 2 files of the same name with different file sizes. Probably one could be old and other new, but both are released on the same day ;)

Regards

Dhanesh.

I believe all applications created with the .NET framework 2.0 should be compatible with Vista. .NET 3.0 is apparently (from the MSDN site) the same as 2.0, except with added features. Unless your product uses specific XP things, I believe it should be compatible (don't quote me on this, though). I wouldn't imagine that Windows would have changed their *cough*bad*cough* code that you need to interact with it.

.NET 3.0 is backward compatible with all previous versions of .NET. Just as you can run a version 1.1 application on 2.0, you can also run a 2.0 application on 3.0. As stated earlier, 3.0 is mostly a rebuilt 2.0 with Vista features.To put your mind at ease, I have successfully deployed one of my larger 2.0 VB.NET applications on Vista. This particular application has a good range API so I would have to say you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

I agree, users have been comming up with message such as "This is the only Yahoo! Bot, that runs on Vista" as feedbacks for my product which is built using VS 2005. Curious as they are, they've started inquiring if it would work on Linux. I believe, there are/is 3rd party .NET framework(s) for Linux?

.NET 3.0 is backward compatible with all previous versions of .NET. Just as you can run a version 1.1 application on 2.0, you can also run a 2.0 application on 3.0. As stated earlier, 3.0 is mostly a rebuilt 2.0 with Vista features.

.Net v1.1 app is not 100 compatible on .Net v2.0. There's minor API changes on 2.0 which will break a 1.1 app.

Where as 2.0 and 3.0 is 100% compatible, as mentioned in microsoft's website. 3.0 only introduce new API's into 2.0, but didn't change any of the base API.

EDIT:

I agree, users have been comming up with message such as "This is the only Yahoo! Bot, that runs on Vista" as feedbacks for my product which is built using VS 2005. Curious as they are, they've started inquiring if it would work on Linux. I believe, there are/is 3rd party .NET framework(s) for Linux?

On linux you can use mono. The latest v1.2 support most of .Net 1.1's API. If you app doesn't depend on windows' specific API, then you can run it directly under linux.

Support for .Net 2.0 and 3.0 is on the works.
Edited by faulty.lee (see edit history)

Probably one could be old and other new, but both are released on the same day  QUOTE(dhanesh @ Feb 26 2007, 10:45 AM) EDIT: I am confused on which version of orca should i download >>THIS<< or >>THIS<< , one is installable bits and the other one is normal. whats the difference ?

There is no difference in the versions between the both files, they are of the same release. They are different only in the way thy are gonna be used. If you use the Installer Bits download, once you download the various parts of the file, you'll extract them to get an Installer that will install the new SDK kit just like any other Windows Installation.

The other is a Virtual Image. Once you download all the files and extract them, you'll get an Virual PC image that can be loaded as a Virtual PC using the VirualPC software which you can get from the sites I've mentioned in the previous post. There is no need to installl this version. So there is no chance of getting your system files corrupted. You can test this software without harming your OS. Microsoft has recently started giving Virtual PC images of all its Softwares that are in Testing so that the testers can test them without harming or losing their data when the Beta software fails.

Edited by livingston (see edit history)

My program created from vb.net 2005 which include the cryptography features of to.0 framework does not run in Vista, is there anyone can explain why?-Redlion

I have seen that for the most part you should have no problems with Vista unless you are trying to perform something “administrator duties.” This involves requesting higher privileges over what you are currently granted. Even at this it will not stop it from working on Vista, it will only show more annoying dialogue boxes asking if you really want to do this. The main goal behind making a Vista compatible program is to only ask the user for elevated privileges once and then handle the rest internally.If your program only adds numbers together then you shouldn’t worry about Vista compatibility. You should only worry if you are trying to access restricted parts of the file system (c:\program files) or modifying certain registry keys. This can also apply to installing new components or the program itself.

If you use VB.Net 2005, it should be building against dot Net 2.0. Then it should works properly in vista. Dot Net 2.0 is supported out of box in vista. Cryptography might have diff in terms of vista and xp. I've once found out that one particular encryption produce 2 diff output from the same input, in XP sp1 and sp2. So i assume that vista might have drop support for some older type of cryptography engine. Try with a diff one and see if it still works in vista. Or better still, compile in vista.