xisto Community
brcmville

Stop Smoking, Save Thousands! Literally, it is possible.

I agree that a person's surroundings and environment greatly affect things such as if they will smoke or do drugs or drink, etc. But it's still a choice someone made. There are probably some instances where people were forced to (for what reason I can't think of) smoke or do drugs or dring, but I really highly doubt that is what makes up even a medium percentage of the people who do it and are addicted.Also, the comment about seeing your friends smoke or whatever, the choice was also made to "be friends" with those people. Don't take this in the wrong way, I'm not saying people who smoke are bad, that's definatly not the case. But there are some people who would try to get other people to smoke for really no reason or just because they do it. Those aren't the kind of people I would want to be around really...

One of the big contributing factors is wanting to fit in. There are alot of cases where kids just want to be accepted. If one kid happens to smoke, and others want to be their friend, peer pressure kicks in. School can be rough, from what I remember. I was an outcast myself, but I saw it all around me. When kids want to fit in, they will do almost anything. O.K, I'm speaking from a 32 year old point of view. I'm sure they are many of you who are younger that will have different opinions. But I have a 9 year old and a 6 year old and I can see it already. Change in behavior is the first thing, and my 9 year old step-daughter has already made comments about kids with drugs. I know that doesn't mean she's doing it. But, I live in a very rural area, and for a 9 year old to be already talking about kids with drugs is surpising. She's only in 4th grade. It starts very young these days. And if parents don't inform their children about the dangers of drugs, they are doomed from the start. And with the young minds not fully developed enough to fully understand the consequences, if drugs come into a childs life early, they may just say 'Yes'.

Theres some false assumptions here...one is that you actually can GET a 9% ROI on any amount of money with no work involved...that claim is highly suspect. Reduce the interest rate to something more reasonable, like 5% APY to get what you'd probably see in returns. Now figure in what percentage of your interest earnings uncle sam is gonna take away come tax season. You're left with a MUCH smaller figure than the "thousands" of dollars you would save by quitting smoking.If you want to make money by not smoking, take the money you *would* be spending on cigarettes, and spend it on stock in a tobacco company...profit off the gradual suicide of others.As for quitting smoking, most intelligent people will stop (or try) when the ramifications to their health become obvious, it becomes too inconvenient to smoke, or both. Case in point, my girlfriend used to smoke. We were toasting pink marshmallows on the stove, so I deliberately burned one to the point where it was black and had "boils" on it. I told her "this is what your cervix will probably look like when you're 60. sex will be excruciating long before that. if you're lucky, you'll develop uterine complications and need a hysterectomy by the time you're 40". She was totally grossed out and cut waaay back on her smoking. Next I told her that I detest smokers, and I'm not going to tolerate her smoking in my house or car, and furthermore, smoking and a future with me are diametrically opposing goals. End result is, she went from smoking a pack a day, to smoking half a cigarette a day and being on the nicotine patch.I hope at least someone can use this and convince someone to quit smoking.

@lonebyrd:

I agree with your statement about if drugs come into a child's life early, then they are more likely to say "yes" and continue later on; but I don't agree completely with the whole peer pressure deal. I may just be different from most people or something, but I've never had any pressure at all with things like that, and I can't really see how most people would let themselves be pushed into it so easily for no reason (high school senior here, btw). Like I said, I might just be different, lol.

Edited by Orca239 (see edit history)

I understand what he means about school, 21 here atm.My brother has been home schooled mostly, (he is autistic and 14), but his behaviour doesn't change much, still into the same things he was 6/7 years ago.My 4 year old sister started kindergarten a few weeks ago and bam, she's even more annoying and dumb than usual...... wonderfull.