xisto Community
brcmville

Stop Smoking, Save Thousands! Literally, it is possible.

No I refuse to use inhalers, they have given me nothing but trouble.I find it too much of a co-incidence that I stop using them and I finally start growing (heck I still have the stretch marks to show for it cause they darn things held me back) and my asthma suddenly dissapears for 8 years lol.If quitting smoking was as simple as understanding it's bad for you, there'd be alot less smokers and drinkers and druggies LOL.

Personally I don't like smoking. I think its expensive and no good for your health. But many people do. I agree with Chesso's last sentance.If you want to smoke go ahead! Spend that *huge* amount of money on smokes. Chances are if you didn't smoke you'd spend it on something else anyways.

If you want to smoke go ahead! Spend that *huge* amount of money on smokes. Chances are if you didn't smoke you'd spend it on something else anyways.

Which leads us back to my first and origional post in this thread! Everyone knows smoking kills and those who smoke are digging their own graves but many of them live life with less money and don't ever consider where it is going. I am not saying that smokers in general are poor or don't make much money but I am saying that there are a bunch that simply do not consider the financial health problems it creates as well as the physical health problems ;)

Surely there will be some people who's eyes are opened and the world seems like a much better place after they realize that they can make thousands of dollars as well as live longer when they stop smoking.

Yeah but we can live longer by eating healthy (do we all eat healthy?), by not driving, by not drinking, heck we'd all be alot healthier if we just didn't live to begin with..... lol.Smoking sure ain't good for you, but what is?

Smoking.. Ugh.. I'm strongly against it, but there's nothing I can do. Not even all the "Stop smoking" campaigns aren't helping. Every day I see more and more people smoking (in the street, to make things worse) - and not only people, but children. "Hey, I'm twelve, and I'll start smoking because that is cool". No, it is NOT cool! I have never tried cigarettes, yet don't have a feeling that I'm missing out on something. It is addictive, just like drugs, and quiting smoking isn't easy at all. It's best not to start.

Agreed pyost lol. Bit late for me though.The biggest problem with quitting is the side effects (keeping ones self busy enough for long enough until the body is over smoking without A) goin to alcohol, ;) going to another drug, C) eating wayyy to darn much and get overweight and in just as bad a boat.... D) all of or a combination of the above).Not smoking for one or two days certainly doesn't solve it, takes alot longer than that to be weeded off it. If I lock myself in a room for weeks on end without anything to smoke I could pull it off, but I don't even have that luxury rofl.

Exactly.. I have a friend who started smoking when she was 13 or 14, not quite sure. Since then, she has quit smoking several times - so much about having a strong character. To make things worse, she is somewhat aware that it is destroying her, but it's not something that can simply be stopped. And it should be.

Exactly.. I have a friend who started smoking when she was 13 or 14, not quite sure. Since then, she has quit smoking several times - so much about having a strong character. To make things worse, she is somewhat aware that it is destroying her, but it's not something that can simply be stopped. And it should be.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that your friend has quit multiple times, because she has not even quit once. Many smokers that try to quit go through little periods of time where they are not smoking, and when they start again, they like to think that they quit smoking so that it makes them feel better. In reality, they haven't quit smoking at all.

The good news is that a person's smoking habit can be stopped instantly, but the bad news is that just about noone is able to do it. I hate it when people say that they cannot stop because that is getting as old and repetetive as the people who say smoking is harmful to your health. Anyone can stop, and if they were smart about it, they wouldn't leave it to themselves to do it. A smoker is their own worst enemy.

I was reading about ways for a smoker to quit on coolnurse.com and I came up with the conclusion that if a smoker does not seek support from friends and family, they will probably fail horribly. There are so many ways a person could involve their family and friends in their effort to quit smoking and it's no lie that having people support your effort to quit smoking will help.

So, in short, maybe you could help your friend stop smoking. She obviously cannot do it by herself or she would have stopped. Try anything that you think will work ;)

http://www.livestrong.com/
Edited by brcmville (see edit history)

You mean cold turkey? yeah my grand dad did that after 40 years+..... the side effects had him quite sick for some time but he did get better eventually, it just screwed his work for months lol.P.S. He only quit due to money lol.He turned 70 last year and has practically worked, smoked and drank every day of his life and he is still kicking.Heck he might even be fitter than I am :|.

Edited by Chesso (see edit history)

There are always some people who do not fit the mold ;) Generally speaking though, if you smoke for such a long time, there is a huge chance that you are in for some devestating health problems!I really hope that your more fit then I get the impression you are, because at 70 years old, most people are not as strong as they were in their younger years.

Well I'm certainly not the fittest person in the world but sure there are much worse that don't have my bad habits even.I think I may have exagerated (especially his condition over the last few years in particular), but I have never met a single person his age that can or will do what he does.But he was born into working, raised on a farm and well I won't go into his whole life story, problems from smoking/alcohol, slipped disk, athritis, asthma etc, none of it will stop him until he is flat out dead, he just can't stay still lol.

I like Jeremy Clarkson's comment on Top Gear, something to the effect of "I've cured smoking by taking up smoking (tires)"