xisto Community
brcmville

Stop Smoking, Save Thousands! Literally, it is possible.

Obviously i dont smoke and all,but yet i would say this calculation has no meaning of it as this is just a way to look at things ,what u percieve is what u see is th punch thing here,.the same calculation goes for why you use a car ,go by a cycle and you will save 10 times than this ,why go to hotels ,just make your own food all the time and you would save a good anount of money,why keep 10 different types of cloth keep only 2 ,obviously all above examples are ewxtremes but this cannot be an eye opener for smokers ,show them the bills,a smokers who catches cancer ,has to go for a surgury and medication worth 10000$ to the minimum ,and if its spread too much your life is gone

Well right now I have a broken tooth that has been buggered for 6/7 years now and it will eventually take out all my teeth and perhaps my jaw and gums. (happened before smoking more or less).And I can't afford to get it fixed either. So why the hell not *shrugs*.

Smoking is a big problem that most people have trouble stopping. I heard that cigarette prices have rised recently which charges the smoking consumer more money for just a pack of cigarettes. That movement I assume was to help the nicotine addicts with their bad habit by having them realize that it is not worth it to smoke because the price for a pack of cigarettes could get you a full meal at mcdonalds. I grew up in an enviroment that consists of mainly smokers and have learned that those that try to stop will eventually get back on it because of a mental stress which the rely on the nicotine to relieve. I had a friend that was able to full quit with his own free will for at least a year before he got back on it, due to temptations and lifes challenges that faced him.I dont smoke myself but from the look of things, I dont think I want to. Till this day Im trying to understand why so many people depends on that drug to solve their stress or feel the need that they need to have it daily. But to get back on topic, with the rise in cigarette prices as a movement to help smokers stop their habit I think I heard it is doing well where there are at least 20-40% of smokers that completely stopped ever since the price change went into affect.

Then again the other 60 to 80% are pissing more of there money away to the sellers and governments.......I wonder which it's really for, just remember how people on drugs will often go through debt and pay through the nose just for a little hit. What do you think will happen with smoking and alcohol, most of them will just quit? man that's quite funny lol.

Obviously i dont smoke and all,but yet i would say this calculation has no meaning of it as this is just a way to look at things ,what u percieve is what u see is th punch thing here.

The most useful information in the world could be sitting in front of someone and they could totally ignore it, and quite often, this seems to be what happens in the world so I would agree with you when you said "what u percieve is what u see". This calculation has meaning to those who are willing to take it to heart, but people who lack the character to make such a large change in their lives will think it doesn't. If a person is ever wondering where they can make a few thousand dollars a year extra and they are smoking, it is a pitty that they haven't looked at my post, or that they can't think of the solution themselves ;)

On another topic, I do not think that rising prices of tabacco or alcohol will ever have an effect on the people smoking. Statistics may show that since the prices have been raised that more people seem to be quitting but that could also be because education about the hazards related to smoking and drinking has improved so much over the years. Think of gasoline if you still think high sales prices will make more people quit and less people start. The price for gas has been at record highs and noone I know has changed their driving habits and most of them won't because they need to drive, much like how smokes say they need to smoke. It is a bit niave to think that price hikes would make people quit. The only time that may happen is if someone takes my origional post to heart and stops smoking so that they can save money ;)

Brcmville, I have a question for you? When you wrote "This calculation has meaning to those who are willing to take it to heart, but people who lack the character to make such a large change in their lives will think it doesn't, " were you refering to smokers who don't quit? Because let me tell you something from a smokers point of view. I am a recovering drug addict and alcoholic, and yes I smoke, but if you walk into an AA or NA meeting and talk to them about quiting smoking, they will tell you its harder to do then kicking heroin. You havent been there. You can get all the family and friend support you want, but when your nerves are shot, your yelling at yelling at your girlfriend because she stepped on the wrong side of the couch, and your body is shaking, it is almost impossible to quit.

Yeah well the whole addiction thing is a bad corner, but maybe people should think about it a little more before they start? I guess many don't realise how much it will affect them at the time because some do it just to do it, and some do it for other reasons.Maybe one day people will actually think about it before making the choice to, and that would be great, just them taking the time to think it through. It still leaves the fact that some still believe they can't get addicted and stuff, but it would be nice for people to think more before they do stuff, not just with smoking, you know?

hope you know that if your addicted to this bad habit for more than 3 years and become part of your life - specially during bad times. its not easy to give up even you can save millions of dollar, on the another side - a million dollar can't buy a new lungs and can't make you calm and stop thinking about certain things that makes you feel anxious for a moment.it's just beyond addiction and bad habit which makes some people smoke.

Agreed, the whole addiction thing is a bad road to travel down. I made my mistakes along the way and am paying for them. I came from a home where my father was an alcoholic and my mother did drugs and they both smoked. It was all around me. It was easy to pick up. I'm not useing that as an excuse. It was my choice. I just chose the wrong one. Thankfully, I never got in trouble with the law, but it took me 15 years to finally put down drugs and drinking. Quitting smoking is my last crutch. It is hard. Very hard. I have tried many times. I have tried some of those aids to help you quit, but they all interact with my meds that I am on. Cold turkey quitting is very hard for me. I know people can do it. Maybe I am weak. But I give myself credit for quitting drugs and alcohol. If all I am doing is smoking, well, let my lungs shivel up and blow money on cigarettes. Do you know how expensive a drug and alcohole habit is and how quickly that will kill you?

Congrats on quitting drugs and alcohol. I can't really say anything about getting off of stuff because I've never done anything like drugs or alcohol or any of that stuff (and I don't intend to), but I do know it's hard. I'm actually surprised you did get off the drugs and alcohol because of your family situation (don't take that the wrong way), so good for you. But I'd still root for you to get off smoking as well if you could, but ya know, that's just me.

Brcmville, I have a question for you? When you wrote "This calculation has meaning to those who are willing to take it to heart, but people who lack the character to make such a large change in their lives will think it doesn't, " were you refering to smokers who don't quit?

Maybe I should have written it differently, but that doesn't mean it is not true. Alot of people will argue that saving money from quitting is in no way an inspiration for them to quit because they simply don't think its a good enough reason. I said earlier that there are cases that do not fit the mould and yours would be one of them. Smoking is one of the things recommended to drug addicts in order to kick the drug habit. In your case, it would only be fair to say that it is O.K. to be smoking because many people would argue that your going from a more dangerous poison to a less dangerous poison; taking steps towards independence from drug use.

I do not have any tolerance to substance abuse though, and I will probably never develop any. People who do it didn't start because they were addicted. They made a choice. I doubt that anyone was holding them back and forcing them to take drugs or ordering them to light up.
Edited by brcmville (see edit history)

Actually you would be surprised, some people have been forced into addiction, but not always directly.Take a look at how many people smoke/drink/do drugs and the increasing numbers of these people. I doubt many of us advertise it say it's great, heck I'm sure most of us addicts will tell you the opposite, warning labels, ad campaigns.But the situation isn't getting better...... it's getting worse, why?

its more about human psychology.Just observe a young boy which in his everyday life he saw his father smoking, drinking and battering his mom. When that boy grow up there was a 99% change that he will do the same, the 1% chance is having a good guidance from his mom or anyone in his environment.on a nice family - the effects came from tv show and livelihood. Just imagine that you are a kid, and your mom/dad told you of how smoking is bad for your health. Then you saw your mom/dad did that or your favorite artist smoke, or some of your friends. More likely in the some events in your life even you know it's bad you're going to try it.After that addiction ;)