xisto Community
bakr_2k5

Burn Iso To Hd? Found on the net it IS possible but none explaining HOW to do it :-(

ISO of USB HDDBurn Iso To Hd?

Think I might be having the same or similar issue as bakr_2k5. That is, I've removed a friends HDD as it wont boot and put in in a IDE/usb enclosure so it shows up on my system. I've copied the user files to my local drive but want to create an ISO image of the drive which I can then mount after formatting/fresh OS install so their programs will run.. Hope this makes sense and if so, any hints would be excellent.

-reply by SuicdeTower

Not sure if it matters, but cat is normally used for text - for binary I would use dd. Basic syntax would be 'dd if=/path/to/iso/file.Iso of=/dev/sdx#' but you may need a few options after that, see if the man page shows an example. Note the it uses the /dev/sdx# and NOT the mount point, so the partition does not even have to be mounted - make sure you have the right partition...

-reply by Marshall

I too have many LiveCDs and ISOs, GHOs, TIBs for different purposes.

I would like keep these image files on a flash or hard disk, and boot the computer with a USB flash and have a menu that comes up:

1) boot from /dev/hda (Windows), 2) boot from /dev/hdb (Linux), 3) boot from ISO file.

The concept is not hard, and the people saying that you can not "burn" to a hard drive are taking it literally.

I am sure Lilo, grub or Avlgomgr does it, but How?

-reply by mastermind

MC how do you alter your boot manager to look on that partitionBurn Iso To Hd?

once you copy the .Iso to the partition, how do you alter your bootloader? for example, I do not have grub installed here.. I'm using an usb hard disk attached to an eeepc. 

not a grub guru by any means.. Could you provide a hint as to the basic steps needed to get grub (or lilo?) onto the usb-hard disk so that the BIOS booter can find it?

another q: out of curiosity, if you dd the .Iso directly to the HD (ie, dd if=file.Iso of=/dev/sdc ) will the BIOS be able to boot that? 

thank you so much    

-reply by decora

ultra iso can!Burn Iso To Hd?Ultra iso has an option to "write iso to hdd" I used it for linux a lot xp doesn't like it that much I think the loader needed a little editing but I wasnt after getting xp to work anyway, also the program will adjust the boot loader for linux if it needs to I did it with ubuntu its pretty much point and click and yes it works on external usb hdd I did it with a usb as well-reply by xxchr15xx

I hear YouBurn Iso To Hd?Replying to bakr_2k5Replying to bakr_2k5Somebody else is also tired of too much hussle over making iso image to work from somewhere else than bootable cd/dvd.I have looked for software witch would format usb pen drive/hdd so that when I start pc with it, it would display simple menu of the contents of one subfolder in it where I could select one iso image. Then the software would create a fake cd/dvd drive from it but alas... No software like that seems to exist yet.Think about it: no more carrying a case full of cd's and dvd's. Only one usb hdd with all the os installation disk images and utility cd's.

on a macBurn Iso To Hd?

I know your able to do it on a mac through the disk utility. I had to do it with an operating system. I had an 7.1gb iso but no dl dvd's. It worked perfectly but the hardware was out of date so couldn't install the OS

-reply by Get the point

burning.... iso to hard disk....Burn Iso To Hd?

hello,first of all loose the word 'burn', its only for cds, and use "copy" for drives!...Ok.. I cant say this is a solution, butt I can say I do have to much ideas that can get you verry close to what you need!

you want to install the iso without burning to cds, for alot of stuff in plus, u are right, butt think of it that way:

get any virtual emulator, whatever os you are in, virtualbox can do it..Its free download it, and creat a virtual harddisk for about 10gb(create 2 partitons) in this you can set your virtual cd rom (inside the emulator), to boot frome any boottble iso image :).

so the idea may not be clear so far butt as I continue it will ;)

make an iso image for your xp or server or linux setup disk in you host system of corse (ultra iso...Etc), install it on your virtual machine, after that boot/run any imaging software (ghost), u can find alot on winpe minicd, make an image of the os you have installed, and thats it...U have an image that can be after extracted,burned, copied to the host system, were it can be burned to a disk, and then into your hard drive ;)

gd luck...NOTE: u may have to deal with copple of problems/tools, butt those tools I talked about can get you were u need to go, and far away frome that to...

-reply by mike

Restore files from img burn isoBurn Iso To Hd?

I recently backd up my external as an image iso 87.4 gb using img burn . Now I want to restore these files back to the external and I'm having problems.The image file is only 5kb and in the folder where I saved it there are other files like .I00 .I01 etc how do I restore my files please urgent!!

-reply by tinashe

how DAFT are you all to not understand the OPBurn Iso To Hd?

Honestly - it is NOT that hard to understand the OP's question here (as this is the exact same topic I'm looking for an answer to).

What he is looking for:A way to make a bootable USB thumb drive or HDD that boots to a CD/DVD ISO as an emulated CD/DVD drive - rather than using the CD/DVD itself.This has great potential for saving you from lugging a bunch of boot CDs and DVDs around - not to mention if you are working on particular lightweight notebooks and netbooks that have no internal ODD - instead of having to go out and buy an external USB optical drive - you just connect your usb HDD with the appropriate ISO image of the CD/DVD you want to boot to on that machine, and there's no hassles.

Why is this such a hard concept to understand?This has NOTHING to do with virtual machines, ISO image readers etc. Etc. And stop arguing semantics over the meaning of the word "burn" when in relation to whether or not there's a laser involved - clearly the OP understands he's not asking about how to physically burn a hdd platter with a laser - he's just using common terminology when it comes to "burning" an image to a disk - which yes, should generally pertain to CD/DVD media - but when used in the manner in how he's stated it, it doesn't take any great stretch of the imagination to understand what he's getting at.

-reply by s00laco

How do i boot from my USB drive?Burn Iso To Hd?

I've changed my USB to a HDD format (its basically a harddrive now), and I want to make it a removable bootable USB. Is that possible, if so how do I do it??????Thanks to anyone that replies with an answer ^^

-reply by knight-os

An ISO is an image of a drive. Whether it be a hard drive, floppy drive, or optical drive. It is just a file! So, what you are asking makes no sence to the rest of us! I don't mean to be overly blunt but you don't seem to know what you want to ask!

Most ISO readers will only look at drive formated as an optical disk, CD or DVD! It seems that you want to store your ISO files on a hard drive. Copy and paste would work for that! If you want to use these ISO's as if they were on optical media, then you need an emulator.

Search for:

"DVD Drive Emulators" => https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dG=Google+Search

"Virtual Drives" => https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Vamp;btnG=Search

Most of these require an OS to operate so, they won't provide a solution in the event that you are trying to create a backup of your system that can be easily installed in the event of a crash!

If you are tired of "wasting" cd's/dvd's, then use rewritable disks! If you are concerned with the speed, then you need to take a deep breath and try to imagine the world when we only had 5-1/4 inch floppy drives!

Anyhow, you really should try and figure out what it is that you need help with and ask a intellegent question.

vujsa

Vujsa, you are wrong. What bakr is asking makes perfect sense. Instead of downloading the .exe installer for the OS, s/he downloaded the iso to burn. This is not the same as the HD ISO. This is an ISO of the installer package.

Hi there, (Don't know if this is the right forum for this. And it also applies to all other OS's I guess. Though I'm in Ubuntu LiveCD at the moment!) Got a question, I've read on the net it IS possible to 'burn' an ISO file to a partition on the harddisk?! Though they don't say HOW to do it. I've been searching google like all day only for this and getting pretty desperate on this! ;)Anyone in here that knows how to do this? My idea is, I have a 3,2 gb spare hd which I'm going to use as my "ISO drive". I make a bootable floppy disk to boot the "ISO partition" of my choice to install. This spares me from download every ISO over and over again :P I've also been searching for "Boot ISO from grub / lilo" but couldn't find anything to do this. (especially on windows ISO, though legal CDs but ripped from CD to ISO! ;)) If you know something about this too, I'll be happy to hear! I really need to know this, since it'll give me: a. Better install speed (since HD is faster then CD) :P b. No spoiled CDs c. Less (spoiled) CDs d. Easy way to install something else etc... etc... Hope to get some fast reply here! ;) bakr_2k5

easy step by step guide

How to burn Hard Drive:

1. Get Gasoline

2. Get Lighter

3. Pour Gasoline on Hard Drive

4. Light it with Lighter

5. Hard Drive Burned

:)

easy step by step guide
How to burn Hard Drive:

1. Get Gasoline
2. Get Lighter
3. Pour Gasoline on Hard Drive
4. Light it with Lighter
5. Hard Drive Burned

OK, you can laugh, this is poorly said, but it's a problem a lot of people among us really have.
Each of the tools I use is on a bootable CD/DVD, saved as an iso file.
Each time I want to use such a tool, I must first burn this iso file to a rewritable CD, then boot on that CD and do my job.
The next job needs another bootable CD, so another iso file, so erase my rewritable media and burn the other iso.
Things could be far simpler if I could boot on a removable media, which would lead me to a menu where I could choose between several iso files, and then boot from that iso file as if it were a bootable CD on my CD reader.
There are several methods for creating a bootable USB drive from an iso file, but this is not the iso file directly used, this is a bootloader loading files extracted from an iso. Which means one iso, one USB drive.