xisto Community
Ed :P

Make Your Own Game

Game Maker is the best program ever, you can make anything with the right DLLs. I've been using it for about 3 years, and I can make reallyh good games. Download it, and register it! Also, if you're having any problems with it, go to http://gmc.yoyogames.com/ for the GMC, you can find all the help you need there.

Can gamemaker make text based games? Cuz i could use all the help i can get.

Easy way to make text-based games I've used in the past is Microsoft's QBasic... It's old, and DOS-based, though, but stuff I made in 1998 still works in windows xp. I made a "Paradox Simulator" in QBasic that was just a rectangle and the player played as a circle, that could move around via WASD keys. The cool bit was that the player could hit T, and essential go back (or forward) in time, and see himself moving around, as the program recorded all movements. I wanted to expand it into a real 2D sprite-based game in Gamemaker, but couldn't replicate the process of recording and playing back the character's movements. My ultimate goal is to make a FPS 3D game implementing time travel unlike anything ever seen before, but the programming involved is momentous. The biggest problem being how the AI would handle the "Past" version of the player if conditional variables changed... You can't just "replay" the characters movements like it is in my demo if the environment is changed... The changes to the past would need to be calculated in Real Time, and would require a massive load on the CPU and data storage... but I do think it would make for a kickass game :P

Game maker only makes graphic based games really but if you wanted to make a text based game then i suppose you could just put text in the window and do stuff from there, im not a pro at game maker so i dont really no wot youd do.

You could certainly make a text based game using Game Maker, it would just take a little more than your average programming in order to get the same affect.Game Maker can be confusing for anyone without any programming or major interface experience, and understand of those basic concepts (even the drag and drop interface requires basic knowledge of switches, and you'll need a good understand of different graphics, sounds etc, there types and of course their features).It also has scripting which is very handy, if you take the time to learn it, much better than doing the whole thing drag and drop style.I still prefer to use a programming language (or even flash for very small and non intensive games).

Yeah, the drag and drop stuff is good for beginners, but actual programming gives you the most control over any game. I was going to buy the book they released for Gamemaker training but most of it, from what I saw, was just the drag and drop stuff, and didn't have more than a couple chapters on the actual GML language. I was slightly disappointed :P

Replying to Ed :P hi,I was wondering is everything free. Ive always wanted to make a game but every places you have to pay for it. And I just wanted to make a game that I made up for kids called imaginary world. Well that is my question! bye and please tell me the answer!-

question by nicole

RE: how to make a game?Make Your Own Game

Well if you are wondeing a way better and easyer way to make a "fps (first person shooter)" game you could go to https://www.thegamecreators.com/ and download there free version of fps creator it only takes around 10-1 hour to make a game the longer you take the better it will be you don't have to build anything like the "game creator" product just use fps creator.

PLEEEAAASSEEE HELP!!!!Make Your Own Game

Okay, I am not interested in making a rpg or shooter game whatsoever, I want to make a drag and drop game for girls who want a horse but can't really get one in real life. I am determined to create a game where kids twelve to fourteen can learn about the body of a horse and how all the body parts are used and how to go about in horse farm life. Similar to Horsez and the Lets ride games but without any storyline or anything, a game where the first person player chooses one horse from many  and chooses breed, gender, etc. And gets to name their horse, train and breed it, then takes care of the foals they raise to make champion horses. Anyone got any ideas?

-reply by Techno2121

Once you start using some code you will be able to make cool stuff. But, once a made PacMan®, and it was lame, extremly lame. For one thing I made "Defeat the Ghosts" because they left marks of yellow and white. PacMan® was yellow; the ghosts are white. But once I used their programming language, you will be able to take over the world! So don't be afraid from using GameMaker because you can still make cool things out of it. Plugins help, too! They do extra things with code! Hope this review is extra, extra helpful! But DS GameMaker doesn't work! Bye for now.Best Regards,-Hannah

Anybody played game like Darkorbit or seafight I wanna make game like that and make people chat mods and stuff anybody wanna help me do that or need help btw I go to school but finish in 12 weeks for good I'm 15 yrs old if your interested in making game with me also check youtube for darkorbit or seafight and we will make together :D/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley4.Gif BTW is it free to make?

-reply by Luke

hi nicole making game can have its difficulties I made private server of popular game called top (download Only) more than 1 making game makes much easier spreading out the jobs wanna make game :D?

-reply by luke