xisto Community
tianshi_JJ007

So Many Kinds Of Linux, Which Will You Choose? So many kinds of linux,which will you choose?

I have a very faint understanding of what Linux is, and wouldn't dare use it, because I would be scared f I didn't like it I wouldn't know how to change back to Windows.
Too much of a risk for someone simple like me :P

Why you scare to install linux? all you need is to resize your partition and format it to ext2/3. And Install linux on it. You will stil able to choose windows when you boot your computer. I recommend you to try Ubuntu linux since it very easy to use and I think the Instalation is easier than Windows instalaion.
For me the best Distro is Debian based, like Ubuntu, Knoppix and other. Now i'm using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper drake) and i've plan to upgrade it to 6.10 (Edgy).

But the most important thing is the LINUX KERNEL that makes all of this possible!.

I know that partitioning isnt that hard, but you have to remember its kind of scary the first time through...
Theres LiveCD that allow you to test out a distro before you install. The only problem is they're slower. You dont mess up your computer though...

Another Reccomendation is to get a version of linux that provides phone support. Usually cost a little. Novell has SLED.

Isnt CentOS and Redhat the samething? I thought that the only difference was that Cent is free and takes a little bit longer to release, since they wait for RH..

Mandriva is one of the best ones I have used so far. Somehow, I end up liking distros that integrate with KDE better. Gnome doesn't apeal to me much.

Could someone, explain what KDE means,,please...

Novell has SLED.

What is SLED ????

I will definetely try ubuntu,,,Windows is stable,,but is not free,,if ubuntu is I will do the partition, and I will try it..Thanks for all the advice..Would someone recomend a Linux version that is stable working as a server ???

I love Ubuntu. I've been using it for a little bit now and have been very happy. I have run into some problems, but that's just me being a dufus and trying to mess with stuff that I have no idea what it does (screwed up my $PATH for a little while). Basically, here's my top three:1. Ubuntu2. Fedora3. Red HatNext time you make a list, please put in Ubuntu as its gaining in popularity VERY quickly (even Google is using it as part of its Goobuntu project).

Mandriva is one of the best ones I have used so far. Somehow, I end up liking distros that integrate with KDE better. Gnome doesn't apeal to me much.

Could someone explain what KDE means??? Please,Please,,and then SLED, I dont know what the term means...I know Novell has it, because it is on a post,,Could someone be so kind to explain what those terms mean???

I am sorry,,I just googled it out..I did not know it was so general knowledge, again, I apologize for my shortcoming..No need to answer the above post....

Replying to NoMoreCan you please tell me What are these 1) Install Media2)Fedora Desktop Live Media 3) Fedora KDE Live Media.I have low config PC like Intel P4, 256MB, 20GB with two partition each of 10GB.Please explain me in details...Can I put window xp in c drive and linux on drive d

Replying to Mafamba TeamThere's no need to be scared about it.When you order the free Ubuntu Live CD, you can boot your computer from the CD-ROM drive and try it out without installing it, just to see if you like it. That way you know what you are getting into without having to uninstall and reinstall to try.

<a href=http://forums.xisto.com/topic/91703-topic/?findpost=1064359248 to NoMore</a>
Can you please tell me
What are these
1) Install Media
2)Fedora Desktop Live Media
3) Fedora KDE Live Media.
I have low config PC like Intel P4, 256MB, 20GB with two partition each of 10GB.
Please explain me in details...

Can I put window xp in c drive and linux on drive d

Of course, if you already have a Windows install, most of Linux distro installers ask you if you want a standard install (erase everything) or a smart installation. During the smart installation, you are asked where you want to install Linux, and you can install it on your D disk.
By the way, your disk needs to have free space enough (enough unpartitionned space). C: and D: are "Windows" names, you have to look how many physical disks you have, and check that you have some unpartitionned space.
For instance if your physical disk is full (partitions everywhere) you should shrink your "D:" partition in order to leave free space available for the Linux installation.

Perhaps Ubunta or cygwin for me. I use primarily windows. Sage runs on windows in a VMware virtual machine that visualizes Ubunta. Sage is relevant to me because I studied a lot of math in school. Cygwin brings unix functionality to windows. Given I use windows I presume this tool will be useful to me in the future.

Ubuntu certainly ruled the roost until recent times. But Canonical has made it hard for users to get used to the new versions. I mean, the new users will like the latest version as it is meant to be simple, but the more experienced users are grumbling a lot and that is why Ubuntu is slowly losing its position at the top. At the time when this thread was created (2006) it would have made a lot of sense to choose Ubuntu, but right now the answer more or less seems like Linux Mint, which is like a trimmed down version of Ubuntu itself!

I use Ubuntu occasionally, I have it on a USB stick which I can boot from when I want. This is handy because I do all of my photoshop work in windows but for general use (internet browsing) I find Ubuntu to be miles faster, and terminal in ubuntu is very nice.

<a href=http://forums.xisto.com/topic/91703-topic/?findpost=1064359248 to NoMore</a>
Can you please tell me
What are these
1) Install Media
2)Fedora Desktop Live Media
3) Fedora KDE Live Media.
I have low config PC like Intel P4, 256MB, 20GB with two partition each of 10GB.
Please explain me in details...

Can I put window xp in c drive and linux on drive d

you certainly can... you can even have another Linux distro on another partition if you like more than one Distribution

i myself have Linux Mint and Windows XP dual boot on my netbook...

by the way, if you're shifting from Windows i HIGHLY RECOMMEND you use LINUX MINT -- it comes with all main necessities packed in the CD/DVD (iso)

that means you after installation you can pretty much do most of the stuff you do on Windows, like watch DVDs and Movies, flash is already installed... most of the media codecs are readily available!

i'm fiddled around with a few Distributions and i find Linux Mint to be one of the most Elegant and Easy to use (coming from a Windows background)