xisto Community
nickmealey

Leaving Your Computer On? - is this good for it?

I leave my computer on almost 24x7. I download stuff all time and am reluctant to turn it off. I have removed my cabinet cover and placed a small table fan near it to cool it off. Have a couple of cpu fans to do the job better. Let's see... If i ever get to experience the consequences i'll let you know. But So far,..Sooooo Good....

I usually leave mine on most of the time. Rebooting it all the time isn't good (neither is switching your tv on and off all the time). My pc doesn't have any overheating problems and my parents pay the bill so... :)

Leaving my computer on 250/365 never did anything to it, as long as you have sufficient cooling fans on your system you could run it forever. although when i first started using computers my first one crashed after 48 hours and no good cooling.

You might as well turn it off unless you are running programs like logs that check the status of things. Leaving it on longer means more wear and tear, mostly with the harddrive. The longer you leave your computer is on the more likely it is to crash sooner. Think carefully about what you want to do :)

Well. usually my computer gets slow - but i reboot it and it works perfectly fine. I have another computer for my ftp - And it usually gets hot - dangerous might burn some night,Make sure your computer fan works perfectly and that your comp is clean . One time dust caught fire inside my computer - All the hardwere broke obviously :) I wouldnt recommend having your computer on if yo udont have any use for it - If u dont download or upload or anything liek that.

I have been doing this for quite a long time and I did not find any problems with it except that you should expect your power supply to go down quite frequently when it gets old. I came to a power down incident approximately two months after I bought the new power supply. After restart, it works well again, but I don't know how long this lasts. My old power supply was down after six months of service.

You really shouldnt just leave your computer on all the time, as it is really bad for the circuitry. Its still up to you, but you have to keep in mind that your computers life will go down. If you go out and smoke, you arent going to die the next day, but it is still harmful in the long term. Nothing has ever happened is a horrible logic to apply to anything in life. If you are tailgating people on the highway and driving recklessly you cant tell the officer the one day you crash, "Well, nothing had ever happened before." Well guess what? Youre right, but now that something did come of it, what are you going to do? Its not about now. Its about then.

You really shouldnt just leave your computer on all the time, as it is really bad for the circuitry. Its still up to you, but you have to keep in mind that your computers life will go down. If you go out and smoke, you arent going to die the next day, but it is still harmful in the long term. Nothing has ever happened is a horrible logic to apply to anything in life. If you are tailgating people on the highway and driving recklessly you cant tell the officer the one day you crash, "Well, nothing had ever happened before." Well guess what? Youre right, but now that something did come of it, what are you going to do? Its not about now. Its about then.

Kind of a weird post for a forum where you apply for hosting :)

Im just saying by all means leave your computer on if you want but just keep in mind you will have to buy a new computer a couple years sooner. Just dont shrug it off as if nothing could ever happen, but either way its your computer.

I usually turn my box off. I heard it's better for it. It also might overheat your box. Like the rumor of xbox360's burning. Which turned out to be some idiots smoking and a fire started which the xbox 360 got blamed for. The people also left it on for like two days straight.

I also use my computer without turning it off and I have never faced a virus or anything like that... In my opinion it's really hard to get something like that if you understand about computer... I mean... Why would you open a unknown file? If you are used to warez you won't download files from certain websites so you don't even need a antivirus programs as you know the website you are going to download things from... However if you are still young on some matters you must be more carefull by using a antivirus and by checking the file online (some websites do this)... The only thing that I don't like about letting my computer online 24/7 is that I have already lost 2 HDs... they were maxxel... At least, I've learned to keep a backup from time to time... You should do that also if you have important documents or if you have waste some time on creating a script... Always do backups.

The most stressful time for an electronic component is when it goes from "off" to "on." Most components are over-engineered for this though so it isn't really an issue. If a component is about to go though, it will most likely happen right after it has been turned on... not days or years later. It is more expensive to leave a computer on, but just because you have a 450w power supply does not mean that you are burning the same juice as a high powered spotlight of the same wattage. The idle current on a computer is quite low and its consumption is measured in pennies per day.