xisto Community
Grafitti

How To Do ICS Through Wireless? how do i do it?

I just got myself a Dlink 108G wireless router, which i want to use to get all my computers online. The router has one Ethernet port that is supposed to be used for connecting to the DSL modem, and 4 ports for direct connections to computers. Now it's all supposed to be plug and play, but for me it isn't that simple. I have a strange internet connection. my uplink is a DSL modem, and my downlink is a satellite cable connection, which is hardwired to a PCI slot in my computer. So if i want to share this connection, it doesn't quite work automatically, as i can't plug the modem straight into the router. i have to use one lan cable to connect the modem to the computer, and another NIC card inside the computer which connects to the router. however, it won't automatically configure itself for ICS. if i try to automatically assign an IP it gives me an error, and if i do it manually, using a gateway, etc, i don't get any shared internet over the wireless. i can network fine to the other computers through that, but it won't share internet access. then i also need to connect a regular 8 port hub, so that confuses me more. how can i get everything on one network, and share the internet across as well? ---using XP Pro, just for the record. I wanted to install Server2000 on the computer with the internet link, turn it into a server, but the tech guy i asked said it wasn't necessary. is that true as well, or am i creating more of a headache for myself by not using a server?

It would be so much easier if the computer had proper server software. Windows internet connection sharing just seems to be so unconfigurable that it either works or you can't do anything about it. I am not an expert on Windows networking but could it be that the XP's ICS just can't handle the different uplink and downlink or it needs to be configured somehow different?

internet connection sharing through wireless

How To Do ICS Through Wireless?

Hello sir;

I have a laptop which use windows xp sevice pack2, I have a internet broadband connection using the username and password, now I want to share this connection with my room mate which also have a xp on his laptop, so how can I do this. What type of setting we have to do in both laptops. Please mentions all steps for both laptops.

-question by rahul jaiswal

I have a laptop which use windows xp sevice pack2, I have a internet broadband connection using the username and password, now I want to share this connection with my room mate which also have a xp on his laptop, so how can I do this. What type of setting we have to do in both laptops. Please mentions all steps for both laptops.-question by rahul jaiswal

Hi, rahul,
Are you alreeady able to put an ethernet cable between your PC and your room mate's pc and share folders ? If this is a case, I can explain you how to easily share your internet connection. Just put a private proxy on your PC and use this proxy on your rommmate pc.
Tell us if you need more details in order to do that.
Regards
Yordan

DSL connect in I PHONE?

How To Do ICS Through Wireless?

I have DSL connection in my computer,I want to use internet in my IPHONE via WI-FI.Can WIRLESS LAN ROUTER do this work?

-question by Adeel

sharing internet, or connecting to an existing lanHow To Do ICS Through Wireless?

hi. I have two computers in my room which are stranded from the rest of the computers in the network because the main router/switch ports are full... What can I do?

I am thinking of buying a wireless usb lan adapter and installing it on PC A, and just attaching an ethernet cable from PC A to PC B. Would that be possible? (yes, the main router has antennas)

thank you... I appreciate if you give me a low cost advice or strategy.. Thanks so much! ;)

-question by carl nathan

about proxy serverHow To Do ICS Through Wireless?

sir ,

I am using net facility through wi-fi in my college campus in my laptop .Some sites are blocked through smartguard , a friend of mine working in thomson routers told me to put proxy settings but I am unable to open the blocked sites as I am unable to put the proxy settings in the internet connections properties as we don't have wireless connection in the dial up column 

-reply by sumitpathak

ICS from Wimdows 7 through a wifi router and Mac, Linux, WinXP, PPC, Win 7 How To Do ICS Through Wireless?

Hi everybodyI have a USB WiFi Yagi antenna as sold by InnovatoveDevice in Canada because I live in an RV, and thanks G-od in most of the populated places I get an open connection.Now I want to share it from (for example) a laptop that has Win 7 using a WiFi router connected to it. Now I want to be able to get the shared internet to other computers that work on different platforms: Linux, Mac 10.4, Windows for PPC, Win XP and to close the cycle Win 7 again. I want them to be able to connect to InterNet using my WiFi router and the shared connection...What do I have to do, how do I configure the other computers (I think I configured the ICS), but I don't know how to configure the others, the PPC, WinXP, Win 7 and especially the Mac and Linux (ManDriva).Can somebody help me with this?Thanks a lot.

-reply by nitsan

Vista has a wireless internet connection from my router, I have a seperate WinXP desktop connected. How do I get ICS to enable so that the desktop gets internet too?How To Do ICS Through Wireless?

Ive been trying for the past 2 and a half hours to get ICS enabled on my wireless Vista Home, internet enabled laptop so it can share the connection with my XP Pro desktop but ICS keeps on bringing up the error message that "an error has occured whilst ICS was being enabled" Its really pissing me off!

- Ive tried changing IP addresses on both computers. I live in a shared house of 4 other people so in the IP address, Ive used 192.168.0.11 or 192.168.0.12 just to make sure there arnt any ip conflicts with any other potential users in the house. It doesnt make any difference though. It still comes up with the same message, plus the laptops internet connection doesnt stay connected because it turns into a new static address. Ive then looked at what the actual address it uses when it get the IP automatically and Ive used that address as a static one to see if it makes a difference. It doesnt. It still loses connection to the internet Ive tried changing the address on just the XP computer to a static address...Again considering other internet users so I keep the last digits to higher numbers to make sure their are no IP conflicts and and keeping the address set as DHCP automatic, the same as it would be normally on the laptop and again...Same error message. ***? What does it take just to do this? Its not supposed to be rocket science. Just a simple internet connection using another computer.

Clues: If I look into "my network places" on the XP desktop computer, its has found my other computers share folfers but they are the "unknown file type" symbols that you get when you computer doesnt know what the file is associated with. Again...***? Theyre simple folders. They arent programme files that need to be associated with another programme...This is confusing me and its effecting my sanity. I'm going to hang myself very shortly!

Lee