xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
niran

Flock :: A New Web Browser makes it easier to share media and connect to other people online

Check out the new open source browser Flock!

Posted Image

Flock is an amazing new web browser that makes it easier to share media and connect to other people online. Share photos, automatically stay up-to-date with new content from your favorite sites, and search the Web with the most advanced Search Toolbar available today.

Remember, its in beta phase only!

The main features are here:

Photos

Share and discover. Use drag and drop to share your photos, including built-in support for Flickr and Photobucket. Subscribe to your friends' photo streams and be the first to know when they upload new pics.

Search

Delivering results. Search your favorites, your history, and the entire web, as you type. Popular search engines are always within reach.

News

Get the scoop on what matters to you, pronto. Click the [subscribe icon] button in the address bar to start building your own personal news service, updated with fresh content every hour.

Blogging

Post almost anywhere with our easy-to-use built-in blog editor. Drag and drop photos or text snippets from any web site

Favorites

Click the blue star to mark any page as a favorite. Search your favorites from the search box, sync your favorites between multiple computers, or tag and share them with others.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Niru (see edit history)

It's basically Mozilla Firefox, so the good thing is that you can transport extensions from one to another with little effort. The possible bad thing is that I'm not sure about how often it does get fixed, and it's unlikely to be as much as Firefox usually does. The interface is very nice anyway, along with its main features (tried some of them), though don't expect anything that astounding if you already use the Mozilla product. =)

Its almost same as firefox!

I think, they are using the same code from Firefox!

But the difference is It has a nice default theme!

and one more option Accounts and services!

using that you can integrate your blogs, and photosharing to the browser itself!

Im posting some screen shots for accounts and services window!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

Its almost same as firefox!

I think, they are using the same code from Firefox!

Not necessarily the same code but the same core probably. I use open source projects all the time and a rule of programmers is to use code libraries! You're free to use the core code then make your own libraries to use with the core and as long as you give credit by saying it's "based on" or "based off of" then you're fine.

[N]F

It is just another browser using mozilla engine with its own gui and similar, but as I remember, the address flock dot com was abandoned for some time, on some forums, maybe even on Xisto we were talking that it was registered on 1996 year for 10 years, now the design has changed and stuff, they do not offer older versions..Yeah, just looked into whois and it was updated on 2005 for another 10 years, so seems their project is moving forward again or maybe the programmers changed, I am just guessing, we can always ask them :)

The main advantage is you can install the extensions created for Mozilla Firefox to this browser also!

(That you need to open the xpi file and it will show one dialog box!

You need to select "yes" inorder install the extensions!)

Not yeat tried the themes for Firefox to install on this Flock!

The default theme is much better than any other theme!

Its having a nice look!

I've heard of Flock for quite a while, but I don't think it's worth it to change to it. First off, it is very similar to Mozilla Firefox, and I'm perfectly content with Firefox right now. I don't see anything particularly attracting about Flock that might entice me to abandon Firefox for a browser that may not be updated as often. I don't blog everyday and neither do I post that many photos on Flickr that I'd need something to manage them for me.If Flock offered some more customizations than Firefox (ones that I could actually use, or some speed like Opera), then I might consider using it. But right now, it just seems like a version of Firefox that's more suited for the bloggers/photobloggers, etc. If I really wanted those things, I could obtain them through extensions anyway.

Well Flock is more or less the same FireFox code since most sites do recognize it as Firefox (as one point) and it uses the same interface except for a few modifications. It makes photo sharing and a few other services convinient. But couldn't a plugin be written for all those task?

Flock is a modified FireFox web-browser. Here is a list of differences I could see, from Firefox:Integration with del.icio.us for bookmarks. Starring a page involves clicking on a large star button next to the address in the URL bar. Watch out! Sometimes Flock is very aggressive in posting bookmarks to del.icio.us, even if you don’t think you asked it to, it posts them. For example, dragging a bookmark to your toolbar will send a bookmark to del.icio.us.You can group bookmarks in “collections” and choose which collection you want to display in Bookmarks Toolbar.Browser Tabs have individual close buttonsNavbar style is different, with Flock’s blue, silver and orange scheme and 3d buttons. By default, Google is the default search engine for FireFox. For Flock, it’s Yahoo search.Rename Bookmarks to Favorites/StarsBrowser tabs do not show ‘favicon.ico’ iconsBlog posting tool. There is a Shelf widget. You can drop text, links and images on it to reuse these later in the blog posting tool or any other application. Clicking on the feed button in the URL bar opens an rss viewer, also like Safari. Plugins for Firefox do not always work with Flock. Google Toolbar—doesn’t workAdblock—worksGreasemonkey—worksSome have claimed that Flock is slower than Firefox at running script or css.Topbar is an extra UI section that allows you to see Flickr photos or make a blog post.

I think that the only Browser Engines available now are, * Internet Explorer * Firefox * Safari (Mac OS) * Opera * Netscape * Lynx * Amayaeverything elese is based on any one of these browser engines.