xisto Community
doudou

P2p Software

Until today I've used DC++, Emule, Limewire PRO, Shareaza. Sure I'm not counting the dead ones like Napster, Kazaa and another one I can't help to remember right now... It had a blue background, orange links, was web based. Pretty good at the time.Nowadays I use just Shareaza and Limewire PRO. In my opinion Shareaza is the best one of them all, though I use Limewire to get some music and popular programs, because it has a nice download rate (usually), since PRO version has a big boost on the transfer rate. So I can get a small quantity of files very quickly on demand (like when I remember an author name, or something like this).In all other situations Shareaza fits my needs, mainly for torrents. Also once you find sources for a file, its transfer rate is pretty decent ans steady. Shareaza handles huge files nicely, and if you try to get some DVD movies or games you just have to leave it on the tray and forget. Eventually it gets done. =p

I prefer using BitTorrent for torrent files.

LimeWire is good for music. Applications off the Gnutella network are flooded with spyware, viruses and mainly trojan horses.

Shareaza doesn't work for me, it can find 300 sources for downloading but there are no open connections. Even when the firewall is disabled.

BearShare is loaded with adware and eDonkey is no longer running. So I guess torrents are the preferred file shraing system.

Make sure you download legally of the P2P networks! :P

usually, I tend to stick to the Gnutella network when i need a p2p program (that doesn't include bittorrent), and the best gnutella program i have found is a program called GTK-Gnutella (gtk-gnutella.sourceforge.net) but the only thing about it is that you can only get it on linux. But i prefer it over limewire because it's open-source AND free, and much faster (limewire gets about 4 downloads per file, while GTK-Gnutella goes overboard and has about 40. I can download a LEGAL 4MB song in about 10 seconds with it.)And when it comes to bittorrent, i prefer bittornado, because of two features:1. You can manually announce anytime, instead of just having it automatically announce.2. You can choose which files to download first and which to download last.there are only two bittorrent clients i have tried though: the bittorrent client from bittorrent.com and Bittornado, but i would be more than happy to switch clients if it has those two features.

For my normal p2p sharing i use shareaza, which connects to both gnutella networks plus edonkey. Most of the time i usually have the edonkey network disabled because of its slow speed.For torrents i use azureus which is pretty powerful, plus all the addons you can get just make it better. It's written in java so it's multiplatform compatible. Shareaza does have torrent support but it's very limited.-HellFire

Man, after Kazaa was "thrown down", I don't think you should look for the best/greatest/most popular P2P software or network anymore... I prefer to have a few different P2P here depending on what I want to download. Since almost everyone has mentioned Shareazza and Azureus (which really must be the best bittorrent software) and you already know eMule; I'll recommend Soulseek. It has some awesome music files.

Hm... I never used Shareaza before but I used Morpheus, Kazza, Limewire, Azerus and BitcometTo think about it, .torrent files are usually better for really large files while the others are more suited for music files or other small files (10 MB or so). Kazza was a pool of virus, filled with worms and trojans (spyware was not that big at that time). My Norton had to struggle to keep up. Next we have Morpheus. It is rather good, actually, it has this special and default setting which automatically calls the computer's default antivirus to scan any downloaded file in quarrentine mode. The problem however was that it strangled my 512 MB RAM. Fast and innovative though. This one could also download .torrent files as well.Following on we have Limewire. It has good searching capabilities and the interface was quite rather pleasant. It is not as fast as Morpheus but hardly noticable with music size files. Less resource taking, which is good for old computers.Following up is Azerus. Its interface and tabbed information gives it a nice interface. The problem is that there were oftenly bugs with the tracker, which made some downloads slow. Those could be fixed though. Eventually.Finally we have Bitcomet. It has no bugs so far in my month and a half of usage. Anyways the interface is not so user friendly since it cramps all the information of a file into a list. However, it is rather fast compared to Azerus.Overall, with Morpheus being safe, fast and is intertwined between P2P Software and Torrent Downloader, I'd reccomend to those with good RAM cards. Alternaatively, Bitcomet to those who don't. (like me *sigh*)

I most like and use eMule.Also I use lot: WinMX and bitcomet.Sometimes i use other p2p programs tho but not much.In Estonia is popular LimeWire at the moment, but i dont like it, it uses too much of my bad network connection and not much files in sharing. :P