xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

Windows Live Search The future of MSN Search

I have used Windows Live Search for that contest that MSN hosted a few months ago (can't remember if it was a year). It works if you have the BETTER keywords to search with, otherwise it doesn't work that well. It is my preferred ALTERNATE search engine (my favourite is Google+Yahoo).MSN Search doesn't work that well. It doesn't come up with that many results and Yahoo! generally searches better than it. I don't use MSN Search anymore. After all, Windows Live Search will replace it! :)MSN (Microsoft Netowkr) will become WLSN (Windows Live Services Network) :)

Live search is good and all but i think it could use some new and improved featurs like ask.com has where you can veiw the page before going to it and i love the new google page but i alos like the new msn live messenger they did a great job on that but im sure new and improved will be in the near future

MSN Search is now powered by Windows Live Search!See, I told you it would replace it. :)Anyways, for images, I prefer to use both Google and Windows Live Search. For the web, I'd use Google Search. For everything else, Yahoo! Search, Google Search and Windows live Search. :D

Although I haven't tried it myself I do know that live search script is public for others to download and use. I know it's a combo of ajax and whatever else they use.

Seen a wordpress version for it.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I seen a couple of others but I would have search deep again to find them, but the concept is still the same. I think yahoo is using a version of it as well.

I've tried live a few times and it works pretty well. I like the clean look (kinda looks like google :] ). I don't like the rest of the page though. It is too hard to find things (took me a few minutes to get used to it). Online portals should be very user-friendly and easy to use. I like google's customizable homepage better than Live's. Microsoft should just get out of the portal business and focus more on their OS and other products. This is Google/Yahoo/Ask's war, not Microsoft's. I like Google the best, and then Yahoo as a distant second (too cluttered homepage).

I like Live search but it is slow on my modem :).I have configured my hotmail account with Live at my friends home and when I was using at mine it is not at all loading.From what I have heard it is really ompressive

Note: I am not affiliated with any of the sites below.

My favourite search engine is preferably Google, and if like you your second preference or choice is Yahoo, please use: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, as they give 50% of their advertising revenue to a chosen charity!!

I would appreciate this, becuase it even searches throguh Yahoo, and gives options for a few more services, and even offers an e-mail solution as well.

I strongly reccomenned that service!!

Note: I am not affiliated with any of the sites below.

My favourite search engine is preferably Google, and if like you your second preference or choice is Yahoo, please use: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, as they give 50% of their advertising revenue to a chosen charity!!

I would appreciate this, becuase it even searches throguh Yahoo, and gives options for a few more services, and even offers an e-mail solution as well.

I strongly reccomenned that service!!

well these kind of companies just do these so called charity to themselves earn a bit. Charity is what they piggy back on to earn money...

Just Google until something replaces it :)

A while ago, it was announced that MSN was going to implement Neural Networking technology into their search engine. I had hoped then that Microsoft would finally take the initiative to use cutting-edge technology to come up with something new, for a change.

So far, I haven't read anything about Live even considering neural networking. I'm starting to think that it was pure propaganda to lure people back to MSN Search. But I suppose that's irrelevant for the purposes of this topic :)

I've given Live Search a couple of tries, and my experience with it isn't that different from everyone else's. It doesn't provide a wide range of search results, which seems to be caused by infrequent and/or inefficient crawling. And the few results they provide are not all that great, really.

So, until something changes, I'm going to have to stick to Google, despite all the dubious actions they've been doing for a while.

Those search engines seems to be on some kind of "war" but the main fact remains, even though Google is as simple as possible to show the results, it is still winning, due to most of the users are just used to use it and knows that it is a good search engine.. I am telling this information, based on statistics, for example I get 300 users from google, and only about 25 from yahoo and 12 from msn, but msn search engine is very often indexing my site, much more times then any other engine.. Also, some sites which is offering to view their statistics and it is usually AwStats shows the same thing, that to their site from google came 92 000 users and much much less through others. ;)

Well Live Search is certainly improving...now with xRank! xRank is something to search the popularity of most searched celebrities on the Internet. You can try it out here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .

It's still in beta, and I think that I would have no use for that at all :). Also with the above URL, there are "suggested search queries" that help you find "better results". Works for everyone? I don't think so.

I've never been inclined to use Windows Live Search, or the search engine MSN provides. Since Google is my homepage I simply use it for all my searching needs. However, since you guys seem pleased with the new features found in the newest version of Windows Live I might look into giving that search engine a try. I used to use Mamma Search Engine untill I realized the search results were much too broad, that's when I started using Google. However, on occasion, ussually when I'm researching something I will use Yahoo, I'm not sure why, the results just seem to be a bit more informative.

Wow, this is windows live search is truly a new low for Microsoft.The UI is horrible - this is just so the live.com team can say they use AJAX without actually implementing it a helpful way.I can't middle click search results to open them in tabs in firefox.I can't use the scroll wheel to go from results 1-7 to results 8-14. They seem to jump from 1-7 to 243-249. Huh?Microsoft thinks it is being clever by putting the scroll bar within the page, but it works worse than a regular browser scroll bar and breaks regular scrolling functionality. This is an incredibly poorly though-out idea.It is slow, slow, slow. The first page loads slowly, the results load slowly, the results scroll slowly.Did I say the search results are irrelevent? I guess I did now.