xisto Community
nightfox1405241487

Firefox 2, Beta 2

Do any of you know whether there is a project timeline that is continually being updated? I saw two or three of them on various Mozilla-related sites, but they seem to be sorely out of date.I have been using Firefox since it was Phoenix, and I really like the product. It has become more bloated and slower over time though. In any case, I still look forward to Firefox 2.0 when it is released out of beta. After hearing what Zerbirus said about the program randomly closing, I don't think I will try out the release candidates at the moment.

They simply built in some known extensions' functions to the default browser. Not a big deal to power users, actually. I also felt it slightly faster, but can't be 100% sure.I'm looking forward to Firefox 3... This looks like is going to be the guy :P

They simply built in some known extensions' functions to the default browser. Not a big deal to power users, actually.
I also felt it slightly faster, but can't be 100% sure.

I'm looking forward to Firefox 3... This looks like is going to be the guy :P

it is faster on my machine.. and the power tools built in was great..
seems that 3 plugins i am using was now built in and most add ons i got are well written..

i also lost the memory leak / errors problem introduce on the last version of firefox 1.5

---
Edited by vhortex (see edit history)

Thanks nightfox! Im going to start beta testing it right way. I just got to fed up with beta testing IE.explorer 7 so I just went back to origional. This beta looks cool. I hope it works. :P

Thanks nightfox! Im going to start beta testing it right way. I just got to fed up with beta testing IE.explorer 7 so I just went back to origional. This beta looks cool. I hope it works. :P

IE7 sucks just as much as IE6. IE is just a sucky web browser... Anyways, update to RC3 since it was just released not to long ago!

RC3 has fixed bugs and is actually stable enough for final 2.0 release in my opinion.

[N]F

I tried the Firefox 2 browser, at last I found some time and as I didn't really use Firefox for a quite some time except for testing purposes, I would like to say they made some progress, but it still won't be my main browser, due to I said it in my post earlier.. I also installed IE7 and would like to say they made some progress too, the pages are displayed very nicely, but it is so slow and something buggy and the interface is a little stupid, back and forward buttons.. As I read, it is two times slower than IE6, but it shows css, xml and other stuff very well if not talking about speed of sites with a lot of html tags and content.. But maybe they will do something about it, I don't really care until Opera, Firefox and Konqueror exist :P (Never used Safari, but I read it is a very good browser)

Firefox2 RC3 is available for download friends!

here is the link: http://website-archive.mozilla.org/www.mozilla.org/firefox_releasenotes/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

The biggest adavntage of the newest version is that it has its own buldin dictionary!

A nice feature, and the dictonary can be updated with the addins available on extensions section!

US, englasnd etc dictonaries are available for download!

And one buld in crash recovery that can be helpful to restore the opened tabs in caser of crashs!

:P

any more features are there which was not available on forefox 1 version!

I love the nice interface and the own bright theme!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

#

Visual Refresh: Firefox 2's theme and user interface have been updated to improve usability without altering the familiarity of the browsing experience. For instance, toolbar buttons now glow when you hover over them. We will continue to improve the look and feel throughout the release candidate process.

#

Built-in phishing protection: Phishing Protection warns users when they encounter suspected Web forgeries, and offers to return the user to their home page. Phishing Protection is turned on by default, and works by checking sites against either a local or online list of known phishing sites. This list is automatically downloaded and regularly updated when the Phishing Protection feature is enabled.

#

Enhanced search capabilities: Search term suggestions will now appear as users type in the integrated search box when using the Google, Yahoo! or Answers.com search engines. A new search engine manager makes it easier to add, remove and re-order search engines, and users will be alerted when Firefox encounters a website that offers new search engines that the user may wish to install.

#

Improved tabbed browsing: By default, Firefox will open links in new tabs instead of new windows, and each tab will now have a close tab button. Power users who open more tabs than can fit in a single window will see arrows on the left and right side of the tab strip that let them scroll back and forth between their tabs. The History menu will keep a list of recently closed tabs, and a shortcut lets users quickly re-open an accidentally closed tab.

#

Resuming your browsing session: The Session Restore feature restores windows, tabs, text typed in forms, and in-progress downloads from the last user session. It will be activated automatically when installing an application update or extension, and users will be asked if they want to resume their previous session after a system crash.

#

Previewing and subscribing to Web feeds: Users can decide how to handle Web feeds (like this one), either subscribing to them via a Web service or in a standalone RSS reader, or adding them as Live Bookmarks. My Yahoo!, Bloglines and Google Reader come pre-loaded as Web service options, but users can add any Web service that handles RSS feeds.

#

Inline spell checking: A new built-in spell checker enables users to quickly check the spelling of text entered into Web forms (like this one) without having to use a separate application.

#

Live Titles: When a website offers a microsummary (a regularly updated summary of the most important information on a Web page), users can create a bookmark with a "Live Title". Compact enough to fit in the space available to a bookmark label, they provide more useful information about pages than static page titles, and are regularly updated with the latest information. There are several websites that can be bookmarked with Live Titles, and even more add-ons to generate Live Titles for other popular websites.

#

Improved Add-ons manager: The new Add-ons manager improves the user interface for managing extensions and themes, combining them both in a single tool.

#

JavaScript 1.7: JavaScript 1.7 is a language update introducing several new features such as generators, iterators, array comprehensions, let expressions, and destructuring assignments. It also includes all the features of JavaScript 1.6.

#

Extended search plugin format: The Firefox search engine format now supports search engine plugins written in Sherlock and OpenSearch formats and allows search engines to provide search term suggestions.

#

Updates to the extension system: The extension system has been updated to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions.

#

Client-side session and persistent storage: New support for storing structured data on the client side, to enable better handling of online transactions and improved performance when dealing with large amounts of data, such as documents and mailboxes. This is based on the WHATWG specification for client-side session and persistent storage.

#

SVG text: Support for the svg:textpath specification enables SVG text to follow a curve or shape.

#

New Windows installer: Based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, the new Windows installer resolves many long-standing issues

Download it here:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/desktop/

Well I am using the new beta and enjoying it but I can't say that I am very fond of the close buttons on every tab. I wish they kept the one red x to the right that can be used to close the tabs. Red buttons on all of them just seems sort of distracting and unneeded.

\o/Today I browsed throught the mozilla ftp for the ff source and saw the source for the 3 2.0 RC later down the 3 1.5 RC and thought "I would really like to know when they finally release 2.0 they are now at RC3 on 1.5 release this was the last RC and guess what, they released 2.0 some hours later.What a coincidence :PWellRC3 was available for download some days ago.It seems that this version is indeed RC3 now officially gone 2.0 :PI love the new Firefox.I never used any other browser, so I can't really say of what firefox still lacks :PI love the new and improved interface / theme"slick and clean"Many new features in this release I love so much, more than ever my #1 browser :PAnother kewl feature is that you can now klick on a button to restart firefoxautomatically after you installed a new plugin.Ahh yah the plugins.., all my favourite ones work so far with 2.0 \o/I would everybody recommend to download 2.0 and try it out yourself, now that it's official.(PS: I awaited that day since they first announced 2.0 with its features :PI have also not downloaded the previous release candidates to not spoil anything to me :P )

Well I am using the new beta and enjoying it but I can't say that I am very fond of the close buttons on every tab. I wish they kept the one red x to the right that can be used to close the tabs. Red buttons on all of them just seems sort of distracting and unneeded.

Just in case anyone else cares and felt the same way about the individual close buttons on every tab, I found a way to change it back to using the global close button like in previous firefox releases. Go into the configuration screen (type about:config in the address bar) and go down to the browser.tabs.closeButtons entry and change the value to 3.

I just really don't know why they would want to take up extra space on every tab with all those close buttons when you can get rid of the tab by clicking the middle/scroll button on the tab or by using ctrl+w or by the context menu. The global close button is also very nice for deleting multiple tabs since it is stationary. With the new default setting you have to move you mouse around all over the place to close all the tabs and it just makes things more difficult than they should be.

Actually, I love having the close button actually on the tab. Now I can't as easily accidentally close another tab!

[N]F