xisto Community
WeaponX

Dell Computer "shuts Down" When Opening Email

Reinstalling the operating system back on this computer is no problem at all for me. The thing is that the user probably has data that needs to be backed up. I already have images made for these machines already and will use them accordingly if needed :) But yeah, it looks like the hardware did cause that problem, strangely enough. I don't see how they could be related since it's only happening when she's checking emails though :)

What i think could be causing this is if your motherboard has a hardware firewall on the network ports. It might've been having trouble with some of the email ports which could lead to what you just experienced, in that case the motherboard needed to be replaced and it looks like it solved the issue. If the board didn't have an onboard firewall then it could just be the actual network card that was faulty.-HellFire

Edited by HellFire121 (see edit history)

I think you should....replace the PC....move to a new ISP.....never use MS software on this new pc....change your electricty supplier.....learn to type with your feet just to make sure its not static from your fingers...make sure its not a Tuesday when sending mail.....banish all the pets from the house when pc is on....do a little dance for the computer pixies when turning on the pc.....Then you should be fine!!!p.s. yes I am adding in totally random help just had to jump on the bandwagon :)))

learn to type with your feet just to make sure its not static from your fingers

Sorry, but I must disagree. I'm almost sure static from the feet is at least as bad as static from the fingers. Besides that, usually, your feet are usually far away from your eyes, adding chances of mistyping.

Hmmmm it's a good thing that your computer doesn't shut down at random times because that would be absolutely horrible, wouldn't it?Anyway, I would suggest reinstalling Outlook - but more I recommend trashing Outlook and installing another mail reading/fetching program like Thunderbird :)Enjoy - and there are links up...

I am having the same exact problem. Same GX270, same symptoms, computer runs fine until I launch Outlook, then all is blank. That was the past week, now it will not even boot up. The A and B lights on the back of the PC next to the video port blink yellow and it makes a clicking sound upon boot attempt but nothing. I put in another video card but that did nothing. Any thoughts? How were/are you sure it was a bad motherboard? I am at odds here.

thanks

I have a Dell Optiplex GX 270 computer here and the problem is that it shuts down randomly when viewing email in Outlook. It doesn't seem to do this when doing anything else online. Could a network cause issue this kind of problem? I'm going to see if the other machines are doing this as well.
The funny thing is that the machine itself still seems to be running. The light on the monitor is orange, but the computer's light is green and the fan is still spinning in the back. These Optiplex machines have the 4 LED lights in the back to show any error alerts (if any). But when it randomly shuts off (meaning, screen is blank), those 4 LED lights are blacked out. Fan still spinning though and keyboard light is even on. But I can't toggle the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys.

I'm narrowing it down to a motherboard issue now, but have a question. How is it possible that it's only happening when viewing emails from Outlook?

Thanks.

Forgot about this issue...yeah, the problem was fixed after I replaced the motherboard.Call Dell? Good luck with that. I know there will be a long waiting period and they will ask me the same questions again even when I tell them I did a certain step already.It's definitely one of the stranger issues that I have seen since I don't see how the email and motherboard issue are related. If anything, the user should be having shut down issues no matter what she's doing.

I have an Optiplex GX-270 that "shuts-down" the same way randomly. I don't even use Outlook. Power light is green sometimes and yellow sometimes. You can hear something running but still have to shut it off and repower up. Sometimes several times to get it to boot. I've replaced the power supply, processor, added 512mb ram (1 gig now), reloaded XP-SP2. It will probably do it again in a second so I'll close now. HELP! This sucks!-StevieB

I have an Optiplex GX-270 that "shuts-down" the same way randomly. I don't even use Outlook. Power light is green sometimes and yellow sometimes.
You can hear something running but still have to shut it off and repower up. Sometimes several times to get it to boot. I've replaced the power supply, processor, added 512mb ram (1 gig now), reloaded XP-SP2.

It will probably do it again in a second so I'll close now. HELP! This sucks!

-StevieB

Hi Feedbacker,

This looks like a clear cut case of leaking/bulging capacitors on the motherboard, would advise you to have a look at the capacitors on the motherboard and if any of them look "bulged" or swollen, please call Dell tech Support and report this, they will arrange for a replacement!
Cheers!

Which Graphic card my computer supported?

Sir I have a computer Dell OPTIPLEX GX270 2.8 Intel ht with 512 DDr ram. So I want to buy a new NVidia Graphic card which card I bye that supported my system.And tell me the series of Graphic cards which my system supported.

-reply by Mudassar

Sir I have a computer Dell OPTIPLEX GX270 2.8 Intel ht with 512 DDr ram. So I want to buy a new NVidia Graphic card which card I bye that supported my system.And tell me the series of Graphic cards which my system supported.

-reply by Mudassar

-reply by Mudassar

-question by Mudassar

-feedback by Mudassar