xisto Community
Markymark2

Help Choose A New Banner For Me Please Help needed to choose a new banner for my site

Ok yesterday we got busy and spent some time making some new banners for The Sounds Of The Suburbs site.

We haev can for sort of an urban decay theme on the site..and were going to totally remodel it this week to different feel and maybe even get the databases working :)

So can you take a look at the images below and post which one you feel is the best one..

Your views will help us hopefully decide on the new banner

Banner 1

Posted Image

Banner 2

Posted Image

Banner 3

Posted Image

Banner 4

Posted Image

Banner 5

Posted Image

Banner 6

Posted Image

Banner 7

Posted Image

Thanks for your comments

Mark420;)

I like the styles of 4/6 the most (but smaller). Number 5 is alright but seems a little plain for some reason, and then the others are all pretty good but just don't really appeal to me eprsonally, I think it's the color choices maybe. Regardless I'd say go for a style similar to 4 or 6 as my vote. Then again I could be completely unique in not loving the others hehe.

So many choices, but I would choose number one at any time. I like the stars in the background and support the use of soft edges. That's exactly why I eliminated numbers two, three and four.Number five is just too white, while number six is a bit hard to read. Number seven would also look nice, but only if there were a background. This way, it's a bit plain.

I'm also with number 1. It's the less 'noisy' and 'annoying' one. I found the other s too heavy and confusing, but sometimes this is the effect you do want to reach. Banner 3 is also pretty good, would be my second choice for sure, and their current dimensions are pretty good for a banner.In 5 and 6 you should set the tracking (space between characters) to a bigger number, they're all together. And banner 4 looks kind of lame...

yeah good comments guys..as you can see I use the scatter gun aproach to design..I make as many possible and select the one I want to devlop further..most of them are pretty rough as you can see..But Im thinking number 1 or number 3 and funnly enough they were the first ideas...Im going to go work on them tidy them up and polish them;)Thanks for the input guys

I like banners number 3 and 5, and maybe number 6 but its to big.best regards,

Mark420, they are all good designs, so I see why it can be difficult to choose one over the other. I will give my comments on each one with a short explanation of my likes and dislikes, then tell you which is my favorite.Banner 1 - this one is clean and elegant. The color choices are good. I also like the orange shadow which works well with the rest of the color scheme.Banner 2 - creative use of multiple colors. The title stands out and is fairly easy to read. The use of a whit faded border is also good.Banner 3 - good dark background, but the red in some of your letters makes them less visible. The stars blend in with the letters as well. This one is hard to read.Banner 4 - creative use of letters with a grungy feel. It is, however, hard to read.Banner 5 - plain lettering, but that is sometimes what is needed to draw the attention. The font is nice, but the letters are too close to each other, so it is hard to read. Spreading them out may help.Banner 6 - as mentioned about banner 5, the font is good but the letter spacing is less favorable. This is more interesting to look at than banner 5 as well, but I wonder how it would look when inserted with the rest of the web page.Banner 7 - different than the previous designs. This looks too cartoony to me.If you haven't guessed yet from my comments, I prefer banners 1 and 2. Good luck in choosing a banner, and keep us updated.

I would have to vote for Banner 2, for several reasons:

1. It is about the right size, your banner 4, 5 and 6 are simply too big to be effective banner. If the banner takes up half of the screen your webpage won’t look balanced.

2. It is easier to read and still convey your artistic style. The text on banner 1, 3 and six are not as easy to read due too different color characters or the text is too similar to the backgrounds. Banner 2 jumps out and grabs reader’s attention. Because of the simplicity of the color and the contrast between the text and the border and the background.

3. I simply like the color better on Banner 2.

Edited by doudou (see edit history)

I would have to agree. I like banner 2, but to tell you the turth all of them (or most) are fairly good. I would honestly have to see it in place before jumping to conclusions. If you're going for a 100% width banner (of the page) I would recommend 2. Perhaps you could give a link to your site template so we could help a little better.Was just a suggestion. Btw great work on the banners.