xisto Community
snutz411

Laptop Overheating Problem with Dell 600m

Laptop overheating.

Laptop Overheating

I had an HP laptop die on me (blue screen of death, hard drive fried) back in '94. It was 5 months out of warranty. Fortunately, I guy I knew with HP hooked me up and I ended up getting sent a larger model/refurb that is pretty good (Pavilion ZV5000 series). However it overheats with some regularity.

Yes, the fans are running fine (they start really whirling loudly when it starts to overheat). I took the battery out years ago when it stopped charging (it also seemed a possible source for heat since it would get very hot). I also pop off the back and vacuum/blow out the fans every once in a while.

With Mobile Meter running on it, I see that it AVERAGES 56C (ACPI Temp). This will occasionally shoot up to the 70s when running certain programs (Windows Media Player has been a particular problem lately) or when certain flash/animated graphics type stuff come up. Whatever it is, it's seems related to the RAM being taxed too much. The HDD Temp keeps pretty steady around 51C.

Mobile Meter says that the ACPI is configured to monitor specific zones � and if there is only one thermal zone, it should be of the processor temperature. Since I took the battery out, I�m assuming it is monitoring the processor temp.

There was a time when it would start up hot -- fan blowing hard and as soon as Mobile Meter displayed, it would read in the mid 60s. I think blowing out the fans solved that problem.

I have been able to manage the continuing issues by watching the Mobile Meter (a godsend), frequently rebooting (complete shut-down not just a re-start), and using problematic programs one at a time. Oh, and thank God I have an external hard drive now to back up to.

If anyone know of an easy fix for this, I�d welcome it. It�s an old computer now, so I rather not put much money into it.

-reply by Ganymede71

Where do I go to see whether my DELL Latitude D620 battery is one of the recalled ones?

Have a look here : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The recalled batteries were sold with the following Dell laptop computers: Dell LatitudeTM D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D800, D810; InspironTM 6000, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 500m, 510m, 600m, 6400, E1505, 700m, 710m, 9400, E1705; and Dell PrecisionTM M20, M60, M70 and M90 mobile workstations; and XPSTM , XPS Gen2, XPS M170 and XPS M1710. The batteries were also sold separately, including in response to service calls. "Dell" and one of the following are printed on the batteries: "Made in Japan" or "Made in China" or "Battery Cell Made in Japan Assembled in China." The identification number for each battery appears on a white sticker. Customers should have this number available when they contact Dell to determine if their battery is part of the recall.

Thanks. Mine has "Battery Cell Made in Korea" and "Assembled in China" on it, so I'm assuming it is not one of the recalled ones. My laptop overheats (shuts down) if placed on a soft surface, like if I place it on a bed, which is a pretty stupid place for a laptop as you want the air vents to be free from bed covers etc.

Thanks. Mine has "Battery Cell Made in Korea" and "Assembled in China" on it, so I'm assuming it is not one of the recalled ones. My laptop overheats (shuts down) if placed on a soft surface, like if I place it on a bed, which is a pretty stupid place for a laptop as you want the air vents to be free from bed covers etc.

If you want to be fully sure, remember that the http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ document also says that you should contact their "battery program" :

Customers should contact Dell to determine if their laptop computer battery is part of this recall. Please visit the firm's Web site at https://www.dellproduct.com beginning at 1 a.m. Central Daylight Time Aug. 15 or call toll-free at 1-866-342-0011, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Time. Customers may continue to use the laptop computers safely by turning the system off, ejecting the battery, and using the AC adapter and power cord to power the system until the replacement battery is received. Customers can also write to: Dell Inc., Attn: Battery Recall, 9701 Metric Blvd., Austin, Texas 78758.

Laptop getting too hot after lcd display changedLaptop Overheating

Hi

My Hp laptop is getting too hot after I recently changed a broken lcd display. The display that I have now is just a compatible one.. A chinese one I guess.. Not sure if the specs of the lcd display are the same as the original one that came with the laptop.

After changing the laptop lcd, its getting too hot. I have sensors-applet installed on ubuntu and the temperature sometimes shoots to 70 degrees celcius and more. I am noticing very frequent freezes/hangs on ubuntu. Not sure if its related to the heat.

Also, after the lcd display change, the battery dies down very fast. So I need to have the laptop on charge all the time.

If you could give me any suggestions on how I could reduce the heat, that would be really helpful.

Laptop display freezes and flashes after extended useLaptop Overheating

Laptop Display freezes and flashes after extended use I have a Toshiba Qosmio F25 with Windows XP MCE 2005 SP3, Pentium M 750, 2 GB PC4200 Ram, and an nVidia GeForce 6600 GO graphics card. I've had the latpop

for a little over 4 years, now.

I am having a display problem that I believe is hardware issue. Each day, I can use the laptop for about an hour or two with no problems, then all of the

sudden the screen will freeze and/or flash on and off(although the backlight does stay on). Once that happens, all I can do is a force shutdown by holding

down the power button and when I restart it, it will only last a few minutes before it does it again. When it freezes, the processor usage goes up to 100%

and I can even see the mouse pointer moving in between the flashes and freezes. When it gets really bad, there are even problems in the display of the BIOS

settings. The screen doesn't flash or freeze, but it mixes up the characters in some words. The problems will even happen when connected to an external

display via RGB connection also. One thing I notice, is that if I tilt back the laptop when it starts acting up, it "seems" to not be as bad and I will be

able to use it for a little while longer.  Also, it doesn't happen as fast on battery power as opposed to A/C.

Occassionally, I will get the blue screen of death after freezing or flashing. The only thing I see in the Event Viewer that is related is an EVENT ID 1001,

SOURCE Save Dump, that says that the computer has rebooted from a bug check. That one only shows up after a BSOD. Another event that occaissionally appears

in the event log when the laptop freezes, is i8042prt stating that the ring buffer that stores incoming mouse data has overflowed. I assummed that is a

result of me moving the mouse around while the display is frozen, but I could be wrong.

Here are the things I have done already:1. Updated, rolled back, installed original drivers2. Stopped nVidia service and prevent other nVidia process like nwiz from starting at boot up3. Took the laptop apart and vacuumed out all the dust - it was pretty bad4. Disconnected the graphics chip and plugged it back into the motherboard, leaving the heatsink attached5.  switched out the new RAM I installed last year with the 2 original 512mb modules that came with the laptop

Nothing worked. Also, the most obvious thing that I thought it would be is a heat issue but the fan definitely works fine, and I have programs that monitor

the 5(cpu, gpu, hdd, motherboard, remote) temp sensors in this laptop, and none of them are getting hotter than usual. As a matter of fact, I have seen the

GPU run perfectly fine up to a temp of 100 degrees celsius, then the fan will kick on and bring the temp down to 80 degrees and then fail. I know those temps

are high, but those are consistant with how the temps have been since the laptop was new.One more thing of note. I don't think this is related, but about 6 months ago, the ccfl bulb in the display went and the guy who I paid to install a new one,

kept having a hard time and was breaking the bulbs, so he ended up replacing the whole display. The laptop then worked fine up until about 2 weeks ago, when

I woke up to a blank screen on the laptop after falling asleep with it on because I watch cable TV through it with the internal TV tuner and MCE 2005.

I am sorry for the long post, but if there is anybody that could give me some advice on what they think might be the issue, would be greatly appreciated. If

you need more info, let me know. Thanks.

-question by John Souza

Love the 600mLaptop Overheating

I've had my Dell 600m for 6 years now and am just starting to have overheating problems. I sprayed out the fans with compressed air and the problem went away temporarily. Under the cpu socket doesn't seem to be getting hot. It feels like under the RAM and HDD is the hottest. I have an app the measures the temperature sensor for the HDD and I've seen it get up to 65C. I've tried running off a live USB, but that's too slow. I may look for new HDD and sodimms that run at lower operating temperatures.

OverheatingLaptop Overheating

Are you sure it is overheating, punch in a search engine, speecy,  this is a safe program and will read and analyse for you many things in your machine.  Items covered include a reading of your temperature.  I am not sure but it may even show up different temps when starting different programs.   I have had this for a year now and no trouble, worth a try regards, Navi

-reply by navi

DELL 5400 overheatingLaptop Overheating

I have a Dell 5400. The exhaust grill got symmetrical cracks on the floor side. The grills are broken due to tension as if something inside is bulging. The chassis plate has also bulged up. The left side of the touch pad is quite hot that at time its difficult to use. I called up Dell and they say this is because of physical damage. What crap is Dell 5400. What a waste.

-reply by Stephen

reply about overheating laptops and extensive damage they causeLaptop Overheating

Replying to xboxrulzNo HP pavillion dv20000 series does as well to the point my spouse and mine have had 2-3 mother board crash or melt who knows they replaced my motherboard ar least 2 times, keyboard 1 time, neither of our batters work and they werent under recall and now we have no memory, they replaced my hard drivex2, finally replaced fan and still got so hot that screen is shattered, and it is not just messed around pixils it the actual screen, you have to pay to talk to someone. My husband even put a laptop cooling fan underneath, and still the power cord power souce heated up so bad, I gave him mine since mine just sets there because of broken screen . Mine happended almost 6 mos ago, so we just got me a cheap samsung satellite and at lelast it doesnt overheat and no problems so far. Ours were HP pavilion hd 2414us, and they then were considered entertainment cents. What a waste of 2400 dollars and more. My daughter had bout a almost new hp 2000, and same thing and because someone stupid removed label on bottom they refused to look so we had to take it to a computer shop, it melted the internet adapter and mother baord and we had to purchase new xp program then pay all the money to fix it, then buy a pc stick to pick up broadband on this wiereless thing.. THESE SHOULD BE RECALLED AND REPLACED. I think if you have a computer that has to have been sent in to repair extensivily should be replaced with something or at least give 75 percent of purchase baci or toward new hp laptop that doesnt experience these problems. I do extensive genealogy work and save on pc, and with a cracked screen you you see nothing but shatter marks on screen.

-reply by Rachelle

I think you better use laptop cooler and you can get rid of these kind of problems.

laptop cooling isn't a simple fix, probably this would work on PC... with laptops replacing cooling is quite some job and requires skills, knowledge and accuracy

anyways back to topic -
i've never had experience as this - locked laptop due to overheating, but it might pay to give the inside a good vacuuming or air blast... dust can easily accumulate inside the device and reduce the efficiency of air flow which results in over-heating. Where does the device is usually placed while operating? Ensuring enough space underneath the device or the sides where the air vents are usually located will help with the air flow and keeping the inside of the laptop cooler
Edited by manuleka (see edit history)

help with the air flow

That was the "air cooling" mentioned by Duke.It's a funny device you put under your laptop, this device has a fan blowing towards your laptop.
I also used a poor-guy trick : I used two dictionaries in order to raise the laptop ten centimeters above the table, and this helped me during an installation which was always continuously stopped by overheating troubles.