xisto Community
abartar

Visitor Hit Counter Script? to find total number of visitor to the site.

I agree with starscream about google analytics, I don't use it myself anymore and don't suggest to use it for others too.Because google analytics is used so widely, almost every page has it and it can really trace from where and where you browse if it would really want to and you give so much information to it.Usually a host provides something like awstats, which I always try to look at, but services like google analytics and others offering similar services, I think it's best if there would be a lot of interdependent services like that and not one which all would be using, it would be much better for all the users ;)Sometimes where are problems with these kind of services when they trace the site with or without www in the url, which is sometimes annoying.

If we're using linux hosting and cpanel then we get free awstats, webtemp and one more stat script installed by default on our hosting account. You can consider login into the cpanel and check it if you want. I found these scripts less informative as they have some weird UI and presentation of stats. There are some missing things as well. Like unique events and unique pages. But these type of server log scripts are much better than the web page based scripts because they can crawl certain type of bots which normally analytics and other scripts can't do. This is what i noticed personally when i found that one foriegn web crawler from china does the crawling on my server. I thought it could get registered in google analytics but it doesn't. So in case of those webalizer and awstats, these crawlers and the browsers which are not yet registered by the analytics can be easily found. Atleast in my case i found them useful and registered under these stats programs. That aside, if you can't trust the server logs for some reason. Or want someone to show your stats then consider using histats.com. Note that it is "histats and not hitstats". Both are different and have totally different way to crawl and manage stats on server. You don't have to use google analytics to know your stats. As i said earlier if you're into affiliate marketing consider using server logs like awstats or webtemp or webalizer. If not that then histats, icerocket and some other stat software which work on web are enough for you to keep track of traffic. I may review any other new analytics script in the future in this thread if i get some time. :-)

There are many distinguishing features of a hit counter, some stay plain and simple and increment every time a person visits a particular page regardless of any other factors. Other are slightly more advanced and increment only if the person visiting has an IP that hasn't been recorded before, and others go even further and track users who have visited before using cookies and other methods to prevent a unique user count from incrementing if the same person has already visited (even with a different ip), and then you get the ones that use all kinds of tracking information and so on and pull all kinds of data from the user to be used for nefarious purposes mwahahahaha lol

For a simple hit counter that increments only when a new IP visits the site then get a hosting account with a mysql database (like Xisto for instance), create the following table:

CREATE TABLE `hitcount` {  `id` int(255) NOT NULL auto_increment,  `ip` int(15) NOT NULL,  PRIMARY `id`}

The on your home page where you want to place the counter insert the following php script:

<?php$openhitcount = mysql_connect('Your database connection details go here');mysql_select_db('Your database name goes here');if (mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT id FROM hitcount WHERE ip=".mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['server']['REMOTE_HOST']))) == 0){  mysql_query("INSERT INTO hitcount (ip) VALUES (".mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['server']['REMOTE_HOST']).")");}echo "We've had ".number_format(mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT id FROM hitcount")))." visitors";mysql_close($openhitcount);?>

or something similar to that anyway, I've had a lot to drink so my php functions may not be spelled correctly or my code format may be out of whack, either way that's a very simple, very secure and very effective hit counter...I think...lol