xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
XIII

Google Web Accelerator Another bad one

Google had just published another new service, it is called google web accelerator, it's an accelerator for your web surfing, so you can save time surfing the internet, it looks a very great service when you look at it generally, but for the first time google made a very bad service, it does nothing new than the old accelerators, to make it appears like a very good brand service they put a warning that this service is only for broadband ADSL internet connections, not for dialup internet connections, as they didn't test it for dialup, in fact i did, i tested it on dialup, ISDN and ADSL connections, nothing new, in fact it's worse even than the old ones, it's just a hard disk waste, it doesn't save a second in fact "though it says it has saved **.**.** hours"

we can say, it's really the first time to get such a bad service from google, hope they will do something for it soon.

i downloaded this not long ago, it actualy made my internet about 1/3 slower, i tried it on firefox AND internet explorer, it was all set up correctl, but i still have it installed juyst incase, i hope they bring out a better update to it soon

it's really the first time to get such a bad service from google

I couldnt agree more, google is an amazing service, considering it was only started by 2 teenagers in colledge

i downloaded this not long ago, it actualy made my internet about 1/3 slower, i tried it on firefox AND internet explorer, it was all set up correctl, but i still have it installed juyst incase, i hope they bring out a better update to it soon

I couldnt agree more, google is an amazing service, considering it was only started by 2 teenagers in colledge

I never said google is bad, google always rocks, i said it's the first time to get such a bad service from google and that means only this new service "google web accelerator" is bad, the rest are excellent.

Google had just published another new service, it is called google web accelerator, it's an accelerator for your web surfing, so you can save time surfing the internet, it looks a very great service when you look at it generally, but for the first time google made a very bad service, it does nothing new than the old accelerators, to make it appears like a very good brand service they put a warning that this service is only for broadband ADSL internet connections, not for dialup internet connections, as they didn't test it for dialup, in fact i did, i tested it on dialup, ISDN and ADSL connections, nothing new, in fact it's worse even than the old ones, it's just a hard disk waste, it doesn't save a second in fact "though it says it has saved **.**.** hours"

we can say, it's really the first time to get such a bad service from google, hope they will do something for it soon.

web accelerators suck in general. they literally will eat your hard drive alive. Like "AOL's TopSpeed Technology"... basically, AOL wants to take credit for the old classic of File > Save. That's all these things are. Then if the site updates, like google news, you will keep seeing the old thing over and over. I HATE web accelerators and I advise people not to use them for that reason. I ALWAYS have them disable it, no matter what.

[N]F

Web accellerators are mostly just a gimick for people who don't know anything about the internet and wouold just like to FEEL that they are going faster. A little low-brow for Google, where their products usually work better than anything else i've seen. It does look like a good idea for broadband, but I think that you probably can't afford the extra time it would take to compress things by your CPU and send them vs. send them over a fast connection. Probably accelerators are good if you just dial-up and check your e-mail, but I can't think of much else. Here's an idea, what if the web only used vector graphics. Wouldn't that speed it up considerably, because they're so much smaller.

Mmmm I have never seen a "web accelerator" do anything more then cache the web pages and unless your stuck on 56k I thinks its pretty pointless, but it does give Google more outreach with its programs. Why? Because there are always people who do not understand what the programs do and they will end up using it. In some ways caching is great especially when its a huge site but is rarely updated, but we dont see those too often these days.

Lol as I'm typing up this post right now, my Google WebAccelerator is being removed from my computer. Not just because the author of this thread said so but it's because I truly have been experiencing the same problem as you guys. I just thought it was my hardware at first but now I know the service just sucked. I'm not saying that google sucks it's just this one service that they weren't successful in. This Google WebAccelerator did infact made my browsing even slower. At first only a few minutes after its installation I was quite amazed at how the speed of the page loads were increased, I guess it was just my mind playing tricks on me when I realized the day after that things were slow--even slower than before I had the service installed. I don't trust any of the web accelerators I just thought I could download this since I gave Google trust based on the other great services they offer. All in all, Google is a great company it's just that this one program they made sucks just like the other accelerators out there.

Mmmm I have never seen a "web accelerator" do anything more then cache the web pages and unless your stuck on 56k I thinks its pretty pointless, but it does give Google more outreach with its programs. Why? Because there are always people who do not understand what the programs do and they will end up using it. In some ways caching is great especially when its a huge site but is rarely updated, but we dont see those too often these days.

Web accelerators also compress the data, and use other methods to try to speed it up.

There's been web accelerators for like 10 years and they've never done anything too amazing, otherwise they would be integrated to operating systems and we'd all be using one... And Google aren't really miracle makers. I'm just surprising that they even attempted such a thing.

It really surprises me that Google would come out with something like this. It seems to me like the company has generally been very careful with the tools that they realease because even one bad product is enough to get some bad rep. Oh well, I guess its all just throwing stones at the giant...

It

Google Web Accelerator

Web accellerators are mostly just a gimick for people who don't know anything about the internet and wouold just like to FEEL that they are going faster.

Mmmm I have never seen a "web accelerator" do anything more then cache the web pages and unless your stuck on 56k I thinks its pretty pointless

Apparently prefetching means nothing to you guys. Also, I usually cap my "cache" around 75 MB because browsers usually do the caching anyway. In this say and age, 500 MB isn't much of a hard drive hog. I throw around 2 GB files on a daily basis. That said, GWA is certainly flawed, but it's not a bad idea. The prefetching needs to work harder, and the cache is almost useless, but prefetching will almost always make your browsing experience faster. Unfortunately it's not intelligent enough to be too noticeable. If it always loads links from top to bottom, prefetching is somewhat weak. If Google logs the most common links you often click from a particular URL (say, you always view your profile from the youtube main page) it can learn and prefetch your most common actions. I could see prefetching becoming very powerful, but again people will always complain about privacy issues, security, etc. Not to mention the extra megabyte or two a text file of common URLs will take.

The only real concern I have with GWA at the moment is the YouTube (owned by Google no less) glitch. They either need to hotfix GWA to not accelerate YouTube content, or have it actually do the buffering itself instead of YouTube, or force YouTube to somehow skip the GWA proxy. Either way, they have yet to fix it, and it's the one problem I have against GWA.

To summarize: The concept of GWA isn't good (or bad) because it loads from your computer instead of the internet, relying on old data, it's good because it loads from the internet before you ask it, then from your computer when you do, relying on seconds-old data. In theory of course.