xisto Community
m107

Best Messenger what is the best im messanger in your idea ?

My choices in IM clients were dictated more by the inceasing number of contacts who started using different services. Took the plunge with Mirabilis ICQ in 1997 - some months before the takeover by AOL. Also used Yahoo Messenger for a while until the start of the millenium when most of my contacts were MSN Messenger users. Naturally, I couldn't just get rid of the other clients, because most of them were exhibiting the kind of brand loyalty that a marketing man gets wet dreams about, so I turned to multi-protocol clients.

Trillian was the first and it was good while it was free. It did all that was expected of it and connected to all 3 protocols at once without the overhead of the pretty and overly fancy individual clients. I was later introduced to GAIM and always being one to fly the OpenSource banner, I decided to try it out for a few weeks (of course - the fact that I was playing around with Knoppix and other *nix flavours at the time also pushed me to use the same client on my Windows partition too).

I am now a huge fan of the Open Source Miranda IM. Unbelievably large collection of plugins allows the user to customize it to a very large extent. There's also support for so many different protocols, some of which I haven't even heard of .

But then comes Google Talk with its simplistic interface and it's innate ability to conduct voice chats all embedded in a client smaller than some images that I've seen. I was hooked.

Now it's a combination - for most times I use Miranda for communicating with all 4 protocols (ICQ / Yahoo / MSN / Google Talk). For vox chats - I switch to Google Talk.

I'm now championing the cause of Posted Image, a web based multi-protocol messenger service that functions within a browser window, has full support for Firefox and also keeps logs of the chats you've had so it's easy to dig up references to any topic you might have discussed with your friends earlier. It's being continuously developed and new features are being added regularly.

I use Miranda and it's very good...But does anyone know about some that allows microphone/webcam using???
You know, my Live Messenger definately doesn't worl ÂŹÂŹ'
:P

AIM Pro is free and it has microphone and webcam. I use it because it's what all my friends have, in fact, my friend just signed on!

Gotta Go!
Edited by Lydubs (see edit history)

I started using an instant messaging service a few years ago, MSN Messenger 5. I still use Windows Live Messenger 8 today as my primary instant messaging service.I do use Yahoo! Messenger 8.1 but I have only 3 people to talk to on Yahoo! Messenger. Although Yahoo! and Windows Live services are coming together, I don't want everyone knowing my Yahoo! ID.I have tried IM2 and Trillian but I discovered I didn't need them because I liked using the original program as well as the features within the original programs. For voice chats and phone calls, I use Skype as much as possible.Google Talk is pretty useless to me, no one has it within my peers. :P

I personally use Yahoo Messenger 8.0 for last few years! I really loves the neat and good messenger ever! But now a days, started to love the new Windows Live Messenger! And I loke the web messenger tool also named Meebo! Its rocking messenger than any other web messengers! I can rate meebo.com at 7/10. You can sigin to many Aim,Icq,Yahoo! Messenger,Jabber,GTalk and MSN at a same time itself. And,all in a single page itself.

for example if u have the IDs

name@yahoo.com, another@yahoo.com

name@msn.com, another@hotmail.com

name@gmail.com, another@gmail.com

and you wants to chat using all this IDs, at a same time, then go for, http://www.meebo.com/

and login using: name@yahoo.com, name@msn.com, name@gmail.com

after signing in, It displays all messenger contacts in a single window itself, and u can login and add other acounts in that window by selecting: SIGN ON button,and add the remaining:

another@yahoo.com, another@hotmail.com, another@gmail.com ! So all your IDs in a single window itself. Just checkout http://www.meebo.com/ And u can expect more options soon.

Love,

Niru

Edited by Niru (see edit history)

MSN, with MSN + for the superior chatlogs and some other features such as renaming contacts (I hate it when people put their Personal Message in their Nick text and change it often).

i prefer the good old windows live messenger its simple easy to use and it looks great. I will always stick with msn as i know how to use it and its a good program!!!! i reccomend it ;)its very very easy!

As I previously said, I am using Gaim, it is even better for me than Kopete.. But on windows, Gaim didn't work for me properly for some time and I thought that it is my accounts, but everything worked with Trillian and Miranda.. But when I installed those, I really didn't like them, Gaim is simple and powerful and gives me all I need.. And I don't really understand people, maybe this is just me, people who are using the "real" MSN messenger or Yahoo or Aim and etc. When I tried them, I was amazed how they suck, but maybe it is just me, a guy who started with Gaim. ;)

I use Windows Live Messenger, because I rarely go on YIM anymore, but when I do, it's Yahoo! Messenger. I've tried several other Messengers, but:1. Trillian: Gawd. The most annoying messenger ever to deal with. It never worked, no matter how I tried to set it up. I tried it twice (different versions), and ended up uninstalling it twice. It's just a waste of time.2. Miranda: Kind of confusing, but not too bad. At least it works. XD But I didn't really like the skinning, so I didn't use it, in the end.3. GAIM: I was going to try it, since it had so many features and could log in to all my IM accounts, but I think I was too tired of all these "other" messengers that I never actually went to the trouble of downloading, installing, and configuring it.Oh. And since now I have a GMail account (GMail accounts are now free for all now), I'll probably try Google Talk soon. Serena

I use Yahoo messenger , Google talk and Skype. I like Yahoo messenger very much because it is available in your own language and it is better to use own im clients than going for other multi messengers . Now they have integrated windows live messenger with Yahoo it sounds good.

I use Windows Live Messenger, because I rarely go on YIM anymore, but when I do, it's Yahoo! Messenger. I've tried several other Messengers, but:

1. Trillian: Gawd. The most annoying messenger ever to deal with. It never worked, no matter how I tried to set it up. I tried it twice (different versions), and ended up uninstalling it twice. It's just a waste of time.

2. Miranda: Kind of confusing, but not too bad. At least it works. XD But I didn't really like the skinning, so I didn't use it, in the end.

3. GAIM: I was going to try it, since it had so many features and could log in to all my IM accounts, but I think I was too tired of all these "other" messengers that I never actually went to the trouble of downloading, installing, and configuring it.

Oh. And since now I have a GMail account (GMail accounts are now free for all now), I'll probably try Google Talk soon.

Serena

Serena, all these are pretty simple to configure and use. Most of them are just straight forward fields asking you for the username and password. If Trillian doesn't work and you are sure everything is correct (in terms of username and password), then check your firewall or something. Make sure you are installing it under an Administrator (or one that has the same rights) account to be sure.

Update on the Google Talk feature. The Google Talk plug-in I found last time didn't work. So I searched around and found an alternative method to use it. Just install the Jabber plug-in. Go into Trillian->Trillian (menu)->Connections->Manage My Connections. Then on the left panel, click on Plugins. Check Jabbber and it should install the plugin. Then click on Identities & Connections on the upper left panel. Go to Add a new connection and select Jabber. Then enter your username with the @gmail.com after it. Type in the password. Then click on the Change button. For server host, type in talk.google.com and use server port 5222. Click Save Settings and Connect. Works without any problems here ;)

Yahoo! Messenger - Always seems to be buggy with me. Closes down when I try to message someone, so I haven't used it in years.AIM - Too simplistic for my means and doesn't have at least half of the features Windows Live does (last time I checked).Windows Live Messenger - I'm more partial to this one. Has multiple features, changeable colors, and other things. Since this messenger's been the one I've used most and has been most reliable to me, I'd vote WLM.

I've been using Mercury Messenger for a long time now and I just love it ;) . I'm always running the last beta, and altough they sometimes are buggy, I still can't stop using it (I've even put a complete java environement on my USB stick so I can MM at school ;) ).I don't even care that it's written in Java, I never have more than 3 conversations open, so memory usage isn't a real problem (especialy not when I get my new laptop with 2Gb memory ;) ).I've also used Gaim, Kopete, Trilian and Miranda and Windows Messenger. The last one sucks because it can't do anything else but chatting, Miranda and Kopete are too basic and I can't get uses to them (don't know why). Gaim and Trilian are good alternatives too, but they just can't offer what Mercury Messenger offers. Whereas MM has almost everything (and sometimes more) as WLM8, Gaim and Trilian still are anything near WLM8.

i simply love to play with yahoo messenger as most of my friends are avauble on yahoo ,the google talk is also good but i miss the audibles about there which could make your conversation really interactive,but yes i have found that yahoo messenger files get easily corrupted ,google talk though looks simple it is na powerful one ,it is not affected by trojans as far as i know .