xisto Community
KDEWolf

Computer Suddenly Turning Off Well it seems my computer doesnt like me. Sad huh?

It seems it was a RAM issue after all. I suppose it had bad latency times, and therefore wasn't synchronizing well with other computer parts. I'm now like 2 days with it working the whole day, non-stop. Thanks for the help people, I guess this one is solved!

<snip>
2 HDD + 2 CD Roms = Increase powersupply + Fans
1 HDD + 2 CD Roms = No Change
2 HDD + 1 CD Roms = No Change

Atleast thats how my problem of restarting solved. Hope this helped.

Regards
Dhanesh.

Its amazing that we have to have 420W power supplies these days. I remember when I have five or six drives running off of 300W. I always expected back then that computers would keep getting smaller and more efficient, but that's not exactly what happened. When the processor alone sucks 120W, there is not much left on a 300W PS for other components. Myself, I am replacing my light bulbs with compact flourescents to save a bit of power and reduce waste heat in the house (it's been consistently over 100 F here). I would have to be nuts to buy a system that used 400+ Watts. My next system will probably be a Mac Mini as a consequence.
Edited by evought (see edit history)

My computer has been acting in a weird way for some time, and I don't remember doing anything that could cause this hardware-wise. I'll try to describe it:After some time powered on, the system suddenly *poof* shuts down in a harsh way. I press the Power button but it doesn't turn on. Then, I remove the power cable from it's back, wait for some hour(s) and turn it on ok, until it turns off again. I'd risk also to say that the 'uptime' I get after a shutdown is somehow proportional to the time I left the power cable off it.

Some would say it's overheating, but I don't think so, since it has a nice cooling and it didn't change from some time to now. I (just wonder, no clue) think it could be some voltage issue, some hard disk problem, power cable issue, possibly some wire overheating (!?!), maybe too many devices connected to the power socket. Could his be caused by any BIOS configuration? By the way, it's running with no memory or processor overclock.

Someone people give me a light, or suggest some expert forums I could post my issue on.
Until the next shutdown, see you.

Well, to me it sounds like an overheating issue, as you mentioned earlier. Next time it shuts down, try sticking your hand behind an exhaust fan...

I'm not too much of a hardware expert... so I'll stop there.

Im using laptop and my laptop suddenly turn off

Computer Suddenly Turning Off

Please help I'm sorta stuck on this,

I'm hearing songs from imeem then suddenly there's a static (sound) then my laptop suddenly turn of

Eventhough I tried to take the cable off and wait awile, after a few hour my laptop still wont turn on...

Please help me , and btw my laptop didnt overheated

-Guinish

GX270 shutting off

This series has had a major known problem with bad capacitors supplied from the far east on Killer Bee and Jazz motherboards, causing power downs or lost video. Look at the top of the capacitors, those tall can-looking components on the mother board. They should be flat, scored with a K, a T, or an X, and should NOT be leaking brown goo, bulging, or domed at the top. I've recently replaced over 200 motherboards for this problem - 270s made in the early to mid 2000s.

-reply by Cliff

GX270 shutting off

This series has had a major known problem with bad capacitors supplied from the far east on Killer Bee and Jazz motherboards, causing power downs or lost video. Look at the top of the capacitors, those tall can-looking components on the mother board. They should be flat, scored with a K, a T, or an X, and should NOT be leaking brown goo, bulging, or domed at the top. I've recently replaced over 200 motherboards for this problem - 270s made in the early to mid 2000s.

-reply by Cliff

PC SHUTS DOWN

Ive had my pc for almost 4 years now and at the start was working brilliant.My pc is from aldi superstore.It has been switching off on it's own for some time now.Before it was doing it regular so I contacted medion who sent an ( expert ) who replaced the power supply a new graphics card and new motherboard.It took him a while to get the pc to boot but eventually everything was as normal and no shutting down.Now I have tried to burn discs and it gets to about 30% then the pc shuts down.Sometimes playing games it shuts off and looking at video on intenet.This is guiding me to either overheating which I do not know what to do or the graphics card or finally something wrong with the processor.Other ideas I have had are too many plugs in one circuit breaker,memory cards not fast enough only have 512mb ram.Please can someone help

-reply by john mccomiskie

Too much dust in CPU

It IS overheating, but not because the fan doesn't work. I think it has too much dust near the CPU and doesnt cool down enough. Try opening it, and with an air blower, blow the dust away, and turn it on again.

BTW, this happend to me, and the dust was the problem

-reply by Alfredo

laptop TURNING OFF/ RAM/POWER ISSUES

If a "Kr" sound is what you heard then your RAM is most probably what caused the problem. Try taking your RAM, cleaning the contacts with a clean fibreless cloth. Try blowing dust out of the RAM sockets as well. I had the same problem. Doing this worked for me.

and as far as power supply issues are concerned I wud go for the dust theory...ALSO...CHECK FOR A FAULTY POWER CABLE FROM YOUR SUPPLY. AT TIMES THE SLIGHTEST OF NUDGES OR DRAFTS CAN CAUSE A FAULTY WIRE TO CAUSE THE PC TO SHUT DOWN. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. THOUGH MOVING THT EXACT CABLE AGAIN SOLVED THE PROBLEM EACH TIME.

I would guess that it is a power suply issue, also check if it feels real hot, that could be a sign of over heating but otherwise maybe a new one would help lots???? possibly.... other than that you can alwaysd have your computer looked at by a pro, I had mine fixed when the fan inside the power supply fan stopped spinning causing it to shut down for a few hours until it cooled off inside......

I remember having a problem with my new computer before I even got to take it home from my local computer store. Apparently, the newly installed fan at the front of my computer case jammed the power button (i.e. kept the power button pressed continually) causing the motherboard to shut down every time the computer was started. It took a long while after numerous disassembling of the computer that we realised that the fan had jammed the power button, plus we originally thought the problem was with the motherboard since the diagnostic lights were showing red.

Computer shutting downComputer Suddenly Turning Off

Hi, as described by KDEWolf, my computer does exactly the same thing. By the time everything started (pretty much like KDEWolf said) I had replaced almost everything I had to the following ones: PSU (850W), CPU (AMD Quad Spider 4850), Motherboard (MSI AM2+), Memory (OCZ Gold 6400 8gb), Case (Thermal Take Soprano), Video-Card (ATI HD 4890), bought new and powerful Asus Fan (Silent Knight 2), Zalman Temperature Monitor ZM-MFC 2, installed a HD Fan, Memory Fan and Windows Vista Home Pro; even though, my computer keeps shutting off. The only original still I have since all the problem started on my Dual Core are: LG DVD-RW and Seagate 500gb HD. I tried connecting different leads on it and also using only one power socket to my computer but all this hustle for nothing. I'm starting getting pissed off with it and dismantling the computer and selling its parts on ebay. By the way the temperature monitor show everything as normal, only the vga is around 75C but I checked with amd/ati and they say can reach up to 105C without damaging the card. Please, HELP ME!

-reply by Iced_Nardo

any problem?Computer Suddenly Turning Off

btw.. Psu is cause of all thing contains of voltage failure... And also sockets of slots

-reply by WARLOCK0160

My PC boots not regularly one times, it displays, BIOS corrupted, Book Disk failure,Computer Suddenly Turning Off

My PC does not boot automatically, so also, does not restart automatically. When I tried to booit, it displayed, 'boot disk error', At once, I changed the HARD DISK of 160 GB. Again, the same problem arises. But sometimes, it boots slowly.  Sometimes, it displays that both BIOS and Registry are corrupted.  Even it boots, it somes automatically shuts down. I have installed AVG Anti Virus.  Please do let me know what is the exact problem. I doubt whether there is a problem with the SATA PORT or CABLE. I found it difficult to make partitions and install the OS. Only after taking pains and after 4 hours, I could install the OS after making partition.

Please do let me know the correct solution. Should I change the SATA connectors, or remove the battery or SATA Cables. If the SATA ports on the Ports are problematic, then how can I connect the SATA Hard Disk?

-question by SOUNDARARAJAN K.S.

Pc unexpected power offComputer Suddenly Turning Off

Hi I am having 1.99GH AMD with 2HDD (40+80) Hard disk and512 RAM. I am having a specific problem for the past one month. While keep onWorking the system turning off suddenly but I can see the power beingContinuously supplied to mother board as the board LED is on. Only on reset theMain power it turns on again. I handed over the PC to shop who expertise inMother board, after looking the same they simply placed a thick sheet of paperUnder board so that not to touch the body. It worked for only 4 days and theSame problem started now. Pls can any one help me to come outHi I am having 1.99GH AMD with 2HDD (40+80)Hard disk and 512 RAM. I am having a specific problem for the past one month.While keep on working the system turning off suddenly but I can see the powerBeing continuously supplied to mother board as the board LED is on. Only onReset the main power it turns on again. I handed over the PC to shop whoExpertise in mother board, after looking the same they simply placed a thickSheet of paper under board so that not to touch the body. It worked for only 4Days and the same problem started now. Pls can any one help me to come out!

-reply by V.Rambabu