xisto Community
WeaponX

Connect Using Wireless And Wired Line

I too would like to do this, any luck?

Replying to WeaponX

I have a very tight internet connection at work, I must use my wired LAN connection to access all my work files, email, etc. There are local wireless networks in my area that I can hop on and check myspace, personal email, read about titties etc. I would like to configure Firefox to access only the wireless network and internet explorer outlook and other shared drives via the wired connection. Any ideas??

-reply by bored`

as far as I'm aware you won't be able to achieve this exactly,you can set mozilla as your default browser for the web...however the 'browser' you're using for the shared drives is more likely windows explorer than internet explorer... unless you are using some sort of network discovery web app to access network drives. In this case, windows explorer is going to remain your file browser (unless you install a new one). as far as outlook goes are you logging into outlook via their outlook anywhere service or through the actual desktop client (in which case you want IE to open links out of outlook, which it won't do if mozilla is your default web browser, in which case you're just SOL I believe). If you're using outlook anywhere then just keep IE on your desktop for outlook only and don't make it your default web browser.Regards,the Doc.

Configure IE to wired lan and Firefox to Wireless

Replying to iGuest

My wired lan is in a different network (172.16.X.X) and wireless at 192.168.X.X

Now - can you please let me know.

How do I make my IE to connect thru wired lan and

Firefox to connect thru the wireless

Thanks, Sameer.

Message in response to

>>WeaponX, yes you can do this. You will need to manually alter your >>routing table and have the wired LAN on a different network.

>>For example, 192.168.X.X for your wireless and 172.16.X.X for your wired.

>>Remove the default route for the 172 network and manually add the route >>for your cards on the 172 network and you should be good to go!

-reply by Sameer Palle

how to simultaneously connect wired and wireless to internetConnect Using Wireless And Wired LineI have a notebook with wired, wireless and modem.It is wired connected to internet (54mb/s) and wireless via some neighbor's modem (27mb/s).I have ubuntu 8.10, the connection icon shows both connections working.When I download files the speed is 54mb/s, it is just using wired connection.How can I increase the transmission speed using both simultaneously?I would like to connect at 75mb/s at least.

Of course it is much easier to just get a router, but if that doesn't work for you, there is of course no reason why that shouldn't work if you just connect using a wired cable as long as the two computers are connected. But you should really invest in something that allows you to do everything. Make sure that if you want to transfer media files, try and enable windows media connect, because then you are sure that the networking works, and also if something's wrong indows media connect gives you a plethora of tutorials.

The general point is dual network cards or dual networks. It is barely logically thinkable even with either of those, as much as I'd also like to do it. You can't be two IPs because you normally only have one network card, or the external wireless card takes over. As old as this is... a roundup of facts, which are still true.

Hi, is it possible for me to use both my wireless and wireline connections at the same time? I'm primarily online using my wireless PC card for the laptop. But sometimes I want to transfer some big files over to the other laptop I have in the house. Doing this through the wireless card takes ages since I'm also using the internet and the wireless transfer is limited to 54Mbps...in the ideal world :mellow:
I want to use a network cable and connect between the two laptops using that method. That way it "should" give us almost twice the speed if this is possible.

Can it be done? If so, what do I need to do?

Both laptops are using Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks.

Sorry replying so late.
Yes, this is perfectly possible.
Simply be careful, if you want to use two different network adapters (your wireless and your wireline) they must be on different logical networks.
I guess that your wireless adapter's IP settings are in DHCP mode, and if you type "ipconfig" in a CMD window you will probably see that your IP address is something like 192.168.1.2
So, you can use your wired connexion with a crossed cable between your PC and your laptop for faster file transfers. Simply, manually set your IP address of your wired NIC's on a different network, I would choose 192.168.110.2 for the first laptop and 192.168.110.3 for the second laptop.
And no gateway on the 192.168.110.* network, the default gateway will be on the wireless network.
I hope that this was clear enough, else do not hesitate asking more info.
Regards
Yordan

wireless internet via router 1, file transfers via wired lan router #2 home network?Connect Using Wireless And Wired Line

I totally hear your problem buddy. I am running3 computers on a wireless router. I also want to transfer files to a centralized pc which has the most hard drive space. From the laptop. Both are on Wireless via router. I have another router of which I'm hoping I can sit both side by side and transfer files from the laptop to the pc(server) via 2nd router running cables rather than wireless. I am wondering as well if this is possible? Will the Laptop and PC both be able to resume internet connections via the wireless router and assume file sharing abilities with the 2nd wired router? If anyone has an answer to this please post

-reply by Bruce

yeeaaaConnect Using Wireless And Wired Line

Well actually larger networks use multiple NIC's, like the labs here at my college. I also have the desire to use wireless and ethernet to "double" my speed. I found that being connected to the ethernet on my laptop and then enabling the wireless will cause my local download speeds to go from 10-20MB to literally a few KB. You would think by now that computers would automatically use every connection it has as much as it can, but it does not appear this way. 

-reply by computerwiz9001

Lan and Wlan at the same timeConnect Using Wireless And Wired Line

Can someone tell me if I can be connected to lan and wlan at the same time, I have a lan card and a wlan card. The lan network has 20 cpu in it and it's own shared internet connection. Is there a way not to use this internet (I've tired to delete the dns nubers) but the two internet connections are still presen. I can connect one at a time, but I need them both.

ah yes and this is all in windows xp, someone told me that it's possible in linux

-question by Dragan

Connect Using Wireless And Wired LineConnect Using Wireless And Wired Line

I had a similar problem, I use wireless to get on the internet but I had files I wanted to access on a network storage device via a router that I only use for a LAN (no internet on it).

I'd get online with wifi, and as soon as I plug my ethernet cable in to access the files on the LAN, windows would set that as a preferred connection for almost all internet related programs.

The trick was to use the NET CHANGE command to change the metric number for the LAN route to a higher one than the route created for the wireless connection to the internet. That told windows to use the wireless connection first.

Hope that helps.

-reply by Jason

Best way to do this would be to have the cable plugged into each of the laptops, then specify each computer with a different IP address than your wireless network (This will allow you to open the computer you want to transfer to/from by going to //IPADDRESS rather then the computer name..

This is the method I use to transfer files between my two laptops using their inbuilt gigabit cards..

Hope this helps

Microsoft can do itConnect Using Wireless And Wired Line

I think microsoft XP can do it, wireless on my laptop for connect to internet, and wired network use static ip connect to router (setting up router and browsing), wired and wireless can running together, but when I use mint julia, wireless for internet but when I connect cable to wired port, wireless is disconnect

-reply by theoxcool

NET CHANGE commandConnect Using Wireless And Wired Line

Jason,

I was wondering how to use the NET CHANGE command to allow me to access wireless internet, while using and ethernet connection to talk to various devices.

Thanks

-matt

Connect Using Wireless And Wired LineConnect Using Wireless And Wired Line

Hello..

Just a simple question. I have a router provided by the internet supplier. Its a shared network. My neighbour is using with wireless connection. And I want to access the network through Eternet cable. Is it possible. I can see both the options in the router. But I find it difficult to set connection with internet cable. Please provide me a solution.

-Question by Vijay