xisto Community
JacobF

Good Practices When Designing A Website What to do and what not to do

I'm sure it varies depending on what sort of site you're making and how its implemented, but I know a lot of people find the marquee tag very annoying/unprofessional... I dunno, I've used it a couple times, but I guess if there's too much motion on a page it looks just as bad as too little. These tips are very good; I'm going to go play with that color scheme generator because the last layout I spat out has a terrible color scheme (plum and forest green ... I saw the combinaton on a shampoo bottle and thought it would look nice :P ) and this little tool looks very useful. :P

It certainly is, I use it quite often for web deveoping as it gives you the RGB and Hex values so you can do a quick copy/paste/save and re-load to see the changes.Actaully, I think a nice lightish forest green colour scheme would be nice, might take a bit of playing around to get it just right though.

According to your next point, it's best to use a blue-to-white background. But how can this be accomplished if no images are used? I say, do use simple graphics, but be careful.

I agree. Some people use a small picture file to make that blue and white background. Other use another small picture file that is always repeating itself. I am using one of those right now for my page, and the page looks amazing. B)

So you can use background picture files, but nothing huge or not a lot of them stacked or bunched up together. Something simple or small. :)

But other than that, don't use pictures. Color is the best not only because not a long time to load, but also because viewers of your website will pay attention to the other pictures on your site, and not to the background. Thats all I have to add. :)

I have to say that many of these are excellent considerations to take into account when designing a website...Although about background sound....99% of the time background sound/music is a bad idea, however there are certain cases where it makes sense. For example, if you have a website for a band or some music group, background music might be appropriate...About having 'dynamic' things on the page....make sure that you don't put too much of that....honestly, i would prefer a page that has nothing moving on it most of the time...Websites with tons of scrolling text can be very distracting at times.

Depends on what you define 'dynamic' as. To me dynamic is anything that is updated. Like for example the following I would call dynamic:

<?php$date = date("Y-m-d");$time = date("g:s");echo "The time is ".$time." and the date is: ".$date;?>

Anything that changes, that is altered in any manner I call dynamic. So in one sense dynamic is great.

I think dynamic sites are great, but don't over do it. Things like a clock, shoutbox, and anything else that updates and you can mess with or post something with i consider dynamic.

Excellent Guide. Its true... when i was younger and all my buddy's started making free website i got into it. From here on iv learned a good website is - Basic But professional - must keep visitors annoyance free - Don't make it flashy we don't want to have to go to the hospital. (if you get what im saying)- And don't have chat slang everywhere its just annoying

How about Flash site then?

Any Comments on these?

In my personal opinion Flash sites look great and visually they have a very positive impact on users but:

Cause a lot of trouble when you want to validate it.

Is a bit dificult to apply on them some SEO techniques if you want to positionate on search engines, for example google recommends not to use it for your navigation links.

In terms of Accesibility they are bad.

Best regards,

In my personal opinion Flash sites look great and visually they have a very positive impact on users but:

Cause a lot of trouble when you want to validate it.

Is a bit dificult to apply on them some SEO techniques if you want to positionate on search engines, for example google recommends not to use it for your navigation links.

In terms of Accesibility they are bad.

Best regards,
I totally agree.

I think also that my website (as any website I shall find nice) should be reachable by any mean.

And, when I am on a Windows keyboard, I very often have no (or very poor) antivirus system, so I don't want to install things if I am not the owner of the system. So, when the host asks "do you want to instal blah blah blah" or "your version of Flash is out of date, dou you want to upgrade it ?" I sey "no!" and of course I cannot watch the website. And I say "this website is bad, I will not go there any more". So, too bad, it could be an interesting website, so if the way it's designed makes me refuse to reach it, I say it's poorly designed.

Of course, this is my own opinion.

Regards

Yordan

I think that the designer should have his/her idea ahead of time, that way they know how to follow with a site idea. That will help to not get off track and make mistakes while working on the site. I have seen really nice layout structure, then like the last page, or one page just goes the opposite way and was all flashy... It's like going through a family's house and seeing nice things, then going upstairs to the kid's room and opening the door.... FLASHY OVERKILL!I feel like a little deja vu here, but I think that if designers want to do things a little off the wall, then it should be stated in like a separate gallery or something a little less site related. I am starting some ideas for my daughters and my son's pages, and they will be a little flashy... because that is what kids are... happy, silly and flashy! But if I overkill it then it will just be cutesie images and flashy animation everywhere. I think that sites should be a continuous flow too. Start at the top of the page and go through info, then at the bottom let the user branch from there. Will they go back to the top to reread some info, will they go to the following page to continue what they are reading, or are the finished and would like to go back to the homepage of the site. I am working on that development right now, but I may be getting to 'perfectionist.' I notice myself that I don't have many openings that I would like on my pages, and I have created many and many in my lifetime already!Ok, so my son is telling me it's time to stop my post. I hope that you all have fun and just do what feels right to you in page development. I think the best way to make the sites are to learn from your mistakes and make a lot of them!- skedad -